I left him seven ours 28 minutes ago and I miss him. Nah, just kidding. No, really, I think I do miss him already.
It was a loooong journey.
Within the first five miles on the road, I called my hubby and told him I'd be home to swap and take his Suburban. When I took my car up to 70, it started rattling and making a noise in the engine. Scary!
Swapped cars, and two miles out I remembered that my book on CD was in my car not his so I'd be bored on the way home. Oh well.
Rained all the way there.
Traffic was thick. What is it about big cities and so darned many people on the road? Especially on a Sunday!
I am here to say that Twin City drivers are nicer than Denver drivers. Sorry, Denver, I love you, learned to drive there, visited, miss you, miss the Casa Bonita, but the Twin City folks are not speed demons and are much more courteous!
We made it to our destination by noon. Stopped outside of the camp at a Kwik Trip to eat lunch. We used their restrooms and then bought something. I have this thing, I have to buy something if we use a restroom, otherwise I think it's tacky. So what does a Weight Watcher do at a convenience store? What little snack could she possibly find? Why, a banana, of course. Kwik Trips sell some fruits and veggies, so we used their potty and paid 50 cents for two bananas.
Camp was cool, counselors were nice, mom didn't cry until she got in the car to leave. Son was the first in his cabin and had the pick of beds. He got an upper bunk next to a window. He was happy about that!
Drove home, through all that darned traffic once again and not far out of the Twin Cities, traffic came to a standstill. For 1 hours 35 minutes we were stop and go on I-35 South. I wished I had my book on CD so bad. That was mentally and physically draining! The kicker was that there was NO construction going on, just a bottleneck for miles and miles because of the construction lanes. I think we went 15 miles during that time. I never use the cell phone while driving, but at 5 miles an hour tops, what's going to happen?
So from this trip I learned:
I get dehydrated quickly. I didn't drink a lot because I knew I'd be in the car for six hours. Didn't want to stop to go all the time. Didn't want to pee my pants. By the time I got home my mouth was dry and I felt icky.
I can do a road trip without chocolate.
I can do a road trip without chips.
I can buy a snack at a convenience store that is smart: Bananas!
I was able to face my fears and drive that awful drive. (It wasn't that bad but I did not enjoy it.)
I miss my baby--er, teenager. He's a baby teenager, he's 13.
We're going to find another route to come home, because there's no way I will sit for an hour and a half again in a car.
Kwik thinkin' to get the bananas! Water, water, water! Especially now that it's Summer!
ReplyDeleteWTG on the bananas! My first thought when you said you felt you had to buy something was, "Buy water!"
ReplyDeleteGlad you made it with your sanity intact!
50 cents for 2 bananas-- that's a good price! Especially at a gas station! I think I will be like you are when my son goes to camp (next year).......ah....no matter how old they are...they will always be babies to their mommies.
ReplyDeleteI love that you can do a road trip w/o junk food - to me, that's my last holdout on "bad" eating...in my mind, long car ride = crap food. Congrats on your achievement, and making it through the traffic. Go, Jo!
ReplyDeleteI see I'm not the only one keeping people in business by using their bathroom..lol
ReplyDeleteI always buy something :)