A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.11.2009

Conflict/I'm a Ninny

I hate, hate, hate dealing with conflict.

Today I called the newspaper office (fifth time this year) because we didn't get a paper Saturday, Monday or today. I've talked to the guy many times, and the last time he said he'd fire the kid. He had called him, gone to his house, talked to him until he was green in the face, but for some reason he won't consistently deliver to our house. The boy misses three or four days in a row about every other week. I don't call often enough to complain.

I started out very nice, because I AM nice and because it's a kid. I told him this has got to stop, because we paid for our paper and we are not getting it. We've gotten so many credits, and I don't want credits, I just want my paper.

So as I was being nice, the man got frustrated. All of a sudden he got angry and started blaming me.

You need to call the carrier, not here. Where is your orange card that the boy gave you when he started the route?

I never received an orange card. I had no idea who the carrier was until I called your office the last time.

Where is your house?

I tell him.

Oh, that house. Said in a tone like we have the most disgusting house on the face of the earth. He got very angry. Do you have a box?

Yes.

Where?

I tell him.

I don't like that box.

This pissed me off big time. My son made that box when he was 9 and it won a blue ribbon and 2nd place overall in its category at the county fair. I said: I don't care.

It sits on the ground.

Too bad. (I drove down the street and most people's boxes are on the ground.)

It's always full of papers (no it's not!) and I don't like that box.

I said: Too bad. The point of this conversation is not whether you like or dislike our newspaper box, it is that we are not getting the newspaper. This not my fault, this has been happening all year, and it's unfair. We are being stolen from because we paid for a product that we are not receiving.

He hemmed and hawed. Well, you are right about that. But kids can be forgetful.

For days in a row? How many times have you called them and gone to their home?

He started getting argumentative again, stating it is ironic that it is only our house on this route that is having problems. Plus, as he went on, in my mind he was calling me a liar or accusing me of something.

I said STOP. Look, we paid for a one-year subscription for our paper, and we want a paper. You are giving me excuses. All I want is my newspaper.

I was pissed and he knew it. He said he'd drive out, deliver the paper, and talk to the boy.

Hubby got home and waited for the guy. I hid in the garage and eavesdropped. That guy was nice as pie. It made me absolutely sick. I was mad.

If you do something wrong, take responsibility. Even though he personally did nothing wrong in not delivering papers, I contracted with his newspaper, not with the delivery boy. He is the employer, and he has to take responsibility for the boy's actions.

As reserved as I am, I just simply would not tolerate him making this my fault. That was bullshit. That's a typical bully tactic and I'm done playing with bullies.

I also do not understand why he was so sickeningly sweet to my husband and treated me like dirt. Sadly, that is very typical in this town. My husband and I have talked about that since we moved here, it's like going back 50 years in time. Men are great and women are not.

Where is customer service? Especially in this day and age, where newspapers are going under, where money is tight? We will NOT be renewing our newspaper subscription when this runs out. I'll read it at the library or at McDonald's over a cup of coffee before I spend money on it again.

~~~

Did I turn to food? YES, I did. I told hubby I was too upset to cook (I was shaking, when will I get over this stupid anxiety crap?) and so we went to Subway. I ate within points, but I still went for ease and comfort. Not so great. I need to get over that instant gratification, because even though I was within points, it wasn't a healthy reaction.

How stupid to get upset over a newspaper!

But, I still will take two steps forward on this. Why? Because I stood up to the guy. I was still fairly polite, but I didn't take his sh*t. While I would have acted this way five years ago, I wouldn't have done it in the past year and a half.

Why can't people just get along? Be professional? Be courteous? You're not getting your paper? I'll take care of it. That's all that was needed.

Sometimes I feel like such a ... looking for a word ... ninny??? posting this kind of stuff. I want it here, though, because I do go back and re-read, and I want to push myself and grow, and I forget this kind of thing if I don't write it down.

No Xanax was taken, I got over it when my belly was full. Not so good=food doesn't make it all better, nor does a full belly.

So I'll only give myself one step forward on this one for standing up to the a$$. I don't know what to do about the food thing--I was within points, but I know that it was done wrong and I could have snapped very easily and eaten stuff I should have. But I didn't.

ugh
The ninny

p.s. Why do I react for standing up for myself like this? Why does it make me shake? I did nothing wrong, in fact I think I was right to not take his crap--so why did I react the way I did? Stupid, really, but is it lack of confidence? What is it?

14 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with my office paper. I had to call each and every time. The manager would have to come and deliver it and he would agonize about having to deliver it. I also got attitide when I called. What suprises me is that there is such decline in subscriptions these days you would think they be more keen on keeping customers. I can be a b*itch when it comes to poor customer service. I do let it get to me too sometimes. I think it is natural. Instead of keeping it professional his demeanor was condescending and judgemental (IMHO) and it would have made me mad too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cancel and get your news from the internet. this is the reason the newspaper business in crasing and burning. YOu can get your news at the flick of a finger and you don't have to pay extra or put up with pions who don't know the meaning of customer service. Good job hammering the lazy ninny. Your not the ninny here....just remember. Did good on the food front. Keep up the good work.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I react the same - it is why I avoid confrontations like this. I just can't cope.

    Yeah and the being nice to hubby (while shit to you) thing happens all the time. Grrrrr!

    I no longer read newspapers either, news is depressing anyway, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing "ninny" about your reaction to the paper.
    About the food - curious!
    Live and learn! Literally!
    Thanks, by the way, Jo for all your kind words on my comments!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, what struck me was that you did "come back at him." Yes, you got upset afterwards, but you didn't just hang up the phone after he starting being ugly. That's a triumph.

    As for the type of community you live in, we are in one that is somewhat similiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately there is no such thing as customer service these days. I would cancel the subscription and get a refund of the money you paid.

    There is no way this situation was your fault and that guy was just an a$$. Don't let the b*st*rds get you down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about this one step forward. You stood your ground dealing with a jerk. You were upset about it but managed to stay within your points. Stop beating yourself up for what appears to me a victory.

    I am with you on customer service. I have a staff working for me. Among other things, I tell them...when you are wrong, admit it, apologize and try to fix it. Run as fast as you can...beat the other guy to the sword and run your self through. Often times the person who is complaining will recognize your contrition and be less upset.

    I imagine you'd have been a lot less upset if the guy had just handled getting your paper deleivered. What is so hard about that?

    You're doing good, and you're a tough self-critic.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I admit i hate confronting people! It eats me up.
    But you were definitely right and they do owe you a big apology.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The man at the paper office was completely unprofessional and should never be allowed to interact with the public. Sad thing is, you'll probably tell me he's the circulation manager. They need to take that guy and demote him to the press room where he doesn't have to answer calls from customers. You're nowhere near being a ninny.
    I've avoided confrontations too my entire life. And like you, when I've had heated exchanges---I get very shaky and nerve racked. I think it's because we get so into our comfort zone of getting along and being amiable, that when we have to step out of that zone---it completely disrupts our groove and sense of security---leaving us a wreck.
    Very nice job on standing up for yourself---very important. And maybe the more we do it, the easier it gets---just like this weight loss road we're on.

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  10. I H-A-T-E confrontations!!! I can't tell you how many times I have gone out of my way just to avoid one...I would give anything to be able to deal with stressful situations without becoming a bucket of nerves, but alas, the only way I seem to be able to stand my ground is if I get my back up...and then WOW...stressful doesn't even begin to describe the emotions!
    I think you did FANTASTIC standing your ground! Stop thinking of the Subway dinner as a step backwards...you made a healthy choice, and recognized the behavior for what it was!! I think that is a HUGE step forward!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gaaaaaaaaah! I'm dancing around singin' hallelujah right now!!! Woman this is TWO STEPS FORWARD! Good lord I'm proud of you for standing up to him and not letting yourself get steamrolled by an asshole with a superiority complex!

    You ate your anxiety? Are you kidding me?! You went to Subway of all places! If it were me eating anxiety it would have been the nearest bakery for a full sheet of chocolate cake then onto the Slab for some ice cream with gummi bears.

    Baby, you done good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm such a b*tch when I get bad customer service, lol. I get it from my Mom and years upon years of watching her stand up for herself. Do you know how many times I've heard her say, "I work too hard for my money to let someone like YOU waste it. I want a refund. Now." I recall a specific time many years ago when she the manager of a Taco Bell wouldn't refund her money and we stood there until the cops were called, lol. They gave her the money at that point. I repeated the very same thing several years later in a Chinese restaurant...cops were called...I got my $20 back. :) Standing up for yourself is a good thing....all it takes is a little practice. :)

    As far as the Subway, gimme a break woman!!! I get 6" turkey sandwiches on wheat from there every couple of weeks!! And you stayed within your points?!?! This is a win!! This is a sign that you're still got a good grip on the weight loss and the right mental attitude. Absolutely no reason to fret over this. Now, if you found yourself face down in the middle of a cheesecake...then I'd be a little concerned. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way to go sticking up for yourself! You have to admit though that it was a TON of steps forward, you had subway. You didn't have a quarter pounder. Definite progress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I laughed at beautiful girls comment-that's exactly what I was thinking! I only WISH I could eat my anxiety at Subway ;)

    I HATE confrontation too. I don't think you're a ninny at all-you stood your ground! That guy was a total ass!! Even though you got shaky, you still came out victorious :)

    ReplyDelete