Tuesday, when I decided to take a break, was a bad day. My son and I had decided to clean out the garage once and for all--it is a disgusting pit. So we set up tables, took everything off shelves, made a garbage pile, moved saws, drills, etc., and were going to conquer it. I figured we'd have the rest of the week, and hubby would be forced to join in because it's his stuff being organized. He just needed the push and the help.
Well, that afternoon after we had completely moved everything around, he called and said, "Guess what, I'm out of town the rest of the week." I was deflated. The garage was in a sorrier state than before we started. We came in the house, my son knocked over and broke a brand-new drinking glass which sent shattered glass everywhere, along with Coke Zero. I was about in tears.
We got that cleaned up, I called hubby and asked if he would help put everything back in the garage because I didn't have the energy to move things around. That night we spent about an hour in the garage, and in that short hour, made a huge dent in its appearance. So it wasn't so bad after all.
I just felt like I needed a break from things, so I decided to not read blogs and not write. What I discovered is that I spend far too much time on the computer. And the really time-consuming part is commenting on blogs. I really bantered back and forth in my head: If I don't comment as much, I'll have more time. Yet, the support I receive from comments is very helpful to me--and I like to give back what I give. Oh, I played this around in my mind, feeling terribly guilty, but knowing...I just can't comment anymore like I have been. I can read blogs, but I am going to have to be selective with comments.
When our school starts up again, it takes a lot of time. I have snippets of time to hop online during the day, but I won't have the time like I had this summer. School comes first, my house needs cleaned, laundry needs done, the dogs need to be played with and exercised, my son needs driven to places, I need to exercise...something has to give.
I feel guilty. I really believe that you get what you give. Yet, there are only so many hours in a day. So I'll still comment, but not like I have been. I don't like it, but it's the best I can do.
My son and I rented 12 movies on Tuesday. We've been watching, laughing, and enjoying. I only rented two that I wanted to see, Twilight and Benjamin Button. Haven't watched Twilight yet, but we watched Benjamin Button last night. That movie touched me beyond what I had expected. Perhaps it's because I have a son who is "different"--I hate to attach any labels to my wonderful boy, but he is not a "typical" child. He has some medical issues, plus he is gifted with learning disabilities, which makes his road a bit tougher. I wept like a baby when the movie ended.
One final note, I felt very weird yesterday and today. I kept thinking it was my heart, and I felt light-headed. Just a bit. Not enough to stop me from doing things, but enough that I was very aware of it. This afternoon it hit me like a ton of bricks: Perhaps this is anxiety? So I took a Xanax. Lo and behold, all the weird feelings went away. We snuggled up and watched a movie, I fell asleep, and I was back to normal. Why? I am usually very aware of when I'm having anxiety issues, but this was just different. I think with hubby out of town, that might have prompted it. He is my rock, and when he's around, I am usually okay. He was amazed that I didn't recognize it.
He is home, safe and sound, all is well in my world.
I'm glad you were able to re-energize a bit while taking a couple days off from blogging! Jo, much as I love having you comment on my blog and do, indeed, gain a lot of inspiration and motivation from the encouragement that you give, I would never ask anyone to support me at the risk of depleting themselves or their time. Take care of you, and I will be honoured if you occassional find the time to pop by my blog and offer one of your pearls of wisdom. Hugs!
ReplyDeleteYou said it perfectly 266...
ReplyDeleteI love your support and thank you Jo but you have to do what is best for you. That is what matters. Enjoy your time with your son and have a wonderful weekend.
Jo! Good investment of time in the garage. First, the dog run, now this!
ReplyDeleteIt makes you feel good to cleaned up, eh?
And always remember - don't cry over spilled Coke Zero!
Just do what YOU have to do, missus. It's ok to make time for life by cutting down on some blog time. We'll still be here :D
ReplyDeleteglad things are all well in your world now.
i been cleaning my arse off today too :D it feels good to sort out your stuff huh?
I agree with what 266 said along with everyone else. Do what you have to do, we will still support you and understand.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad you wrote this post because I'm kind of in the same boat. Feeling guilt because we're on the cusp of starting a new "school year" and I know my computer time will soon be limited.
And I loved the part about watching movies with your son and how you were touched by Benjamin Button because it reminded you in part of your own son. I feel the same way about my eldest (gifted and learning disabled). I love him dearly but he is exhausting and life with him and for him is not easy!
Oh, and today we're cleaning out our garage. EEk!
If we haven't learned ANYTHING else through this weight-loss journey, we should learn to put ourselves FIRST every once in a while! It's the trap that got us here in the first place...living to please everyone else. Comment when it works for YOU. Post when it works for YOU.
ReplyDeleteAnd hang in there...you are doing amazing. Don't lose that wonderful momentum!
Jo you need to take care of yourself. You are doing great in the weight loss department, now work on the anxiety. You are making huge strides. Don't worry about silly little things like a broken glass, although it's a pain to clean up that glass. Cleaning like you have been makes us feel good and when our environment is organized, we become more so with ourselves. I spend too much time on the computer as well. I read a lot of blogs but really only comment on a few. It can be way too much. I've decided that next week (I always feel changes coming in September in my life) that I will change my whole schedule. I'm hoping that will give my weight loss a boost, because I'll find the time to exercise. Anyway, I'm rambling .... take care of yourself and family and things will work out fine.
ReplyDeleteHugs!
Commenting can be time-consuming.
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna slow down, too.
In fact...
Glad to hear that you figured what you needed to feel better!
ReplyDeleteWatching movies is something i love to do :)
Have a great weekend
There are days when I'm so busy I can barely read all of my favorite blogs, much less leave comments on them. But it's ok...we need to do what helps us most in our journey. So don't feel bad - it's your life and that has to take priority!
ReplyDeleteYou have to do what is best for you. If you really are feeling complelled to comment..alternate...one day post the next time comment etc. Whatever fuels your engine...that is what it's all about.
ReplyDeleteTake care of yourself Jo, you are your first priority.
ReplyDeleteWhen it becomes an obsession that takes over the true priorities in life it IS time to take a step back.
ReplyDeleteI completely understand the guilt you feel about not commenting but I think everyone will know you are there in spirit if not in the comment section.
It's really good to know I'm not the only one feeling this way, Jo.
I've let my housework go and I'm not even exercising like I should be cause my fat rear is on the couch while I'm blogging.
If you don't see me commenting here often know that I am still out here reading too!
Beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteI'm very happy for you and that everything is back to normal. It's very nice to have ou back my friend.
My best always
Sean
Glad you are feeling back to normal!!!!
ReplyDeleteI struggle with my computer time as well. I LOVE commenting (and getting comments of course) but time is so limited...so I'm kind of going through this right now as well.
Enjoyt the rest of your weekend :) (And Twilight-O.M.G.!!!)
love,
val
I've had to make the same decisions, less computer time, less commenting... Acknowledging what works, and what you need is key in our struggle.
ReplyDelete(I fight the garage battle too... Still waging.)
commenting takes a lot of time, I totally agree! Way to go prioritizing!
ReplyDelete