Monday when we were shopping for husband's new wardrobe, I did a little shopping for myself, too. We were at Kohl's, and I walked around the active wear section. I wanted some workout pants, specifically capri style. I was looking for a 2XLG, because of my big belly.
Zip, zilch, nada. The sizes went up to XL.
So I purchased five pair of pajama pant bottoms, capri style, which were on sale for $5 apiece. I got two 2XL and three XLs. That should do me for awhile.
As the clerk started ringing me up, she asked, "Did you find everything you were looking for?" I said, "Well, now that you ask, no, I did not. People my size exercise, too. There was nothing in your active wear section in my size." She asked what size I wanted, I stated a 2XL, and then she did it.
The clerk turned to another gal who was miles away (two sections over) and hollered out: Do we have any plus size active wear? Size 2XL? Oh, for the love of Pete, I wished the earth would open up right then and swallow me. There were a lot of people around. Granted, if you look at me, you know I'm plus size. But sheesh, did she have to announce it to the whole flippin' store? The gal hollered back, "Yes, X brand (I forget) carries plus size.
So the gal came and got me and we walked through that department together. Was she ever shocked that there really wasn't any plus sized stuff. She kept pulling out XL stuff. Nope, not quite there yet. Then she told me that I could order the stuff online. I said the problem with that is that I can't try it on, and clothes sizes run differently, pants are cut differently, and it's really best to try things online. I then told her it was really unfair--not her fault, but it stinks. She agreed, and told me that she has that problem with the junior department, too, as they make and sell plus sized junior stuff online, but not in the store.
So I bought my pajama bottoms, didn't tell them what they were for, and left. Thank God I exercise at home!
I did also look at JCPenney and another store that carried plus size, but no active wear was to be found in my size.
So we're supposed to work out, eat healthy and lose weight, but yet we can't go into a store and by clothes to work out in until we've done all the hard work and lost the weight. Hmmm.
Guess what else the clerk told me? They used to carry plus sized active wear, but it didn't sell. I don't know if she was telling me the truth, trying to placate me or what.
Oh well. The good news is that I tried all the capri pajama pants on and every single pair fit, even the three XLs. I can wear them all now--in fact, I have a pair on right now. How cool is that? Yet, it's not the same as pants. I have found pajama bottoms are cut looser and bigger than pants. I'm still excited that the XLs fit.
I had a difficult time shopping in that I didn't know what sizes to try on. I ended up buying one size of 20 pants and four shirts which were all marked 18/20. That sure beats the size 24 I started out with!
I cannot wait until I can fit into capri exercise pants. I'd like the French terry pants. I'd like some yoga pants. Shoot, I'd like anything other than the cheap sweatpants I'm used to from Wal-mart. At least I could always find those and they always fit.
I will think twice before telling a clerk I didn't find what I was looking for again!
Yeah, I had an issue with jeans. Now I do not like trying on pants and so for jeans I tend to just go to Walmart and buy an appropriate pair there. But the Walmarts I'd go to - their plus-sizes sections got reduced more and more until THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ANY JEANS! and the only shirts they had were like nurses uniforms in ungodly colors... Blech. A manager said it had to do with the economy and they weren't going to do anything about it. I suggested that soon plus-sized people would have to go around naked because there were no clothes to buy. This was part of the frustration that got me on the diet in the first place - tired of settling for clothes that don't really fit well anyway, just looking for some oversized sweatshirt to cover me up!
ReplyDeleteYeah, I too had been wearing non-exercise clothes to work out in. It is only now after MONTHS of exercise and losing 50+ pounds that I can now fit into the largest exercise pants that anyone sells. Oh, the irony!
ReplyDeleteMy large lady store DID used to sell active wear, but no longer do, so I guess no-one was buying it.
My happiest moment came last week when I was finally able to buy a proper pair of hillwalking trousers from a normal shop - mind you, I have to lop off a good 6" from the legs yet, lol!
I can find most work out gear but sports bras are the pits to find,,,surely us bigger girls need a good solid sports bra more then some lil girl who barely needs to wear one...ok theres my rant of the day lol
ReplyDeleteDo you have an Avenue close by? They always have exercise type clothes. I have several pairs of yoga pants from them. Very often Lane Bryant has active wear as well. I have a terry track suit from them. I know it is no fun to shop at plus size stores when you can shop at regular stores, but they do go down to size 14 and usually its the smaller sizes that are left in the big sales. It might be worth a try next time. **Hint** Avenue clothes are bigger and shorter than Lane Bryant clothes. I wear a 20 or 22 from Avenue and a 24 from Lane Bryant.
ReplyDeleteOMG! Way to go on handling that situation with grace... it's far better than I probably would have done. Nice improvise on the pajama bottoms, by the way; I may need to look into that myself.
ReplyDeleteOver the loudspeaker - HELLO! -
ReplyDeleteYou are learning how to handle and tolerate frustration!
Very good Jo!
I am cringing for you - clueless salesgirls, argh!
ReplyDeleteI had the same issue when I started exercising - there were no workout pants that would fit me, and while I did find some plus-sized capris online, I sure as hell wasn't going to pay the premium price for something that A) I was only wearing at home to workout in; and B) I was hoping to not fit into soon!
Glad you at least got the pj bottoms...way to work around the issue!
Dumb clerk. My friend went to Old Navy and found all these great Capri pants on sale and bought a bunch, got home and found out they're pajamas! She wears them anyway as pants and they look really cute.
ReplyDeleteGrrr! I just typed a comment and lost the whole thing. Wouldn't let me send it. Anyway, what I was saying was I shop in the US a lot. I live right across the border in Canada. I found Burlington Coat Factory in NY last year. WOW! I spend hours in there. They have work out stuff. I've picked up a few things there cheap. Also last year in NYC I found some great stuff at K-mart if you happen to have one of them still around. Anyway, the PJ pants are a good idea for now. And what's with that sales clerk. Jeez!!!!
ReplyDeleteEven Walmart and Target have plus size exercise clothing.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe them about the 2X at all, because every time I have been in Kohl's looking for 2X anything - from maternity clothes to active wear - they never had any, and this was a brand new store at the time! I hate ones that lie just to make themselves look good.
ReplyDeleteIf you have Cato nearby, check them out, too - prices are similar, but they have an extensive plus section.
Good luck!
I hate that. I learned a long time ago to say... no, but I found something that will work, cause if I'm paying I probably did. Or no, but I really didn't think you would so it's ok. If they further ask... i then say, no really, you don't have it so I'll go to XYZ and I know they will. usually shuts them right up. :) LOL
ReplyDeleteDoesn't it feel great to fit into smaller sizes. Enjoy it... soon those won't fit any more :)
Hi i hate clothes shopping to cos i can never find anything to fit me.But i will remember not to ask the ASSISTANT FOR ANY HELP! just in case they make a big FUSS about it.
ReplyDeleteJeez, I didn't think she would holler it out like that! I always thought they just did that to be polite! I am happy the stuff you got worked :)
ReplyDeleteDo you have a Kroger? I find my 3X black capri exercise pants at my Kroger, NO other stores in town carry anything lie that! Makes me crazy...
ReplyDeleteWhat a hagatha! I hate that I can't find chubby workout clothes. It's a definite hassle.
ReplyDeleteSee if you have a Cato's around....they're a plus size store and the prices aren't hideous...about the same as Kohl's, but not as cheap as Wal-mart...not as cheaply made either, though.
ReplyDeleteI have learned to NEVER tell a clerk you couldn't find something....plus size clothes and tampons, especially. :)
Lol, I still wear pyjama bottoms when I exercise at home. And I totally feel for you in the store when the clerk called over to the other one!
ReplyDelete