A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

9.07.2009

Can't Sleep

Tomorrow we start school, and here I am, wide awake. I'm so not ready for school, the routine, the lack of freedom--yet I'm very ready for it at the same time.

Every year the first year of school it has been our tradition to go to Hardee's drive through for biscuits and gravy for my son and a ham, egg and cheese biscuit for me. Well, Hardee's closed. We now have Arby's, and last year we drove through Arby's for DS and McDonald's for me. I always order 2 Egg McMuffin combos. I've been debating if I want to spare the fat and points for such a breakfast tomorrow. I don't think I do. My son really wants to continue his tradition, and I will accommodate him.

This morning I did one of my The Firm exercise DVDs. I did Maximum Body Sculpting with Tracie Long. It's an older tape. I like their older tapes better than the current versions. I did not use weights, I used my old step bench which is only a few inches high, and I took it very easy. I didn't want to injure myself. That all said, I was simply amazed--I poured sweat. I couldn't figure it out because it wasn't that difficult. I really enjoyed it. I mean really, really enjoyed it. I enjoyed it so much that I spent too much time online previewing The Firm videos and bought myself some more.

Their whole premise is you do cardio, sculpt, and a combo of cardio/sculpt in rotations. There are lists on the net floating around telling you which is which. I don't like their cardo tapes, so I didn't buy any. I have my beloved Richard Simmons tapes plus I won Ang's random pick in her summer challenge, so I'll soon have a Leslie Sansone video! How cool is that! (I also won a Hungry monster, a pair of Laura Silverman earrings and the Biggest Loser cookbook. I have picked that book up at Wal-mart many times to buy it, put it back down because I'm a cheapo. I was very happy this morning, thanks so much, Ang, and thanks random generator. lol)

So I bought a couple of the older Firm cardio/sculpt DVDs and another sculpt tape. I like their older stuff because it's not so hyper, it uses steps -- fanny lifters or transfirmers. I bought a transfirmer also. It's like a step, only it can go up to 14 inches high. It reminds me of a younger me--because the tapes are old, if that makes any sense.

I did notice something very interesting. I watched the three DVDs I have already purchased, and I've done two of them. They use the skinny, perfectly in shape men and women. This used to be off putting to me and one reason I liked Richard Simmons so much, as he uses all sizes of people. I've changed. I actually enjoyed looking at the beautiful bodies. It actually gave me great hope and inspiration. Could I be like that? Well, not likely as I don't plan on losing that much weight, but could I look really firm and fit at whatever goal weight I settle on? This was an amazing moment for me, because I had never thought that far ahead. It has never been what I would look like, it's always been fear of diabetes, getting my health in check.

I now have a desire to tone, to build my body, to be strong. After all the whining that I've done on this blog about resistance training, I now have a tool--a few of them--that I enjoy and will give me the strength training I've been so lacking. The old tapes are more girly-girl--it's a beautiful setting, the women have grace and poise, and due to the age, they're wearing pretty colors. lol It's just so ME.

Perhaps over time this will rev my metabolism a bit, too. I've lost an average of 1.2 pounds per week, according to my Weight Watchers report, since starting this journey. I'm thrilled, but I've also seen people start after me and are way ahead of me in weight loss. I'm thrilled for them. I didn't do all the work necessary to get there, they did. Plus, this is my own personal journey, and while I notice those things, I worry more about my own journey.

This journey is full of amazing discoveries. With each step, things get better. I am really excited about bringing exercise back into my life, having some variety. I've done Richard Simmons off and on for over 20 years--it's time to change things up a bit.

I wonder if I'll see "visible improvement after 10 workouts" like The Firm claims. I have taken my measurements, so we shall see.

Well, off to bed. Homeschool mom must be well rested for our big day tomorrow.

11 comments:

  1. Get some sleep girly..Your body needs the rest..You can always make yourself a homemade egg mcmuffin for less points too. hugs girl..go gettem tomorrow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you on The Firm's payroll? Well, you should be. Now I want some! LOL Hope your first day of school goes well. We start next week! :) (((Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm wanting a Firm dvd - did you say there is one that works on lifting the butt? Man, I need that!

    Have a great first day of school! Oh, I remember the days of ordering 2 egg mcmuffin meals...I could slam them down in no time!

    Congrats on winning Ang's random draw - since I didn't win (boo!) I was glad to see your name there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy first day of school! Nothing like it, I know. :)

    Oh, and I totally had my first egg McMuffin in six months this weekend. NO hashbrowns (they are EVIL) and I even took out the egg yolk! Not bad...but not as good as I remembered, either. Always like when that happens!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck with school and enjoy those videos.

    You might not have lost as some people in the same period of time, but you have been totally consistent and are doing wonderfully. Keep doing at what you're doing and you will get there, real soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, I came across your blog and couldn't help not seeing it as its so popular. Its all right if we want or dream to be like others. It is because of this dreams that we want to change for the better. And talking about changes, I wish to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in a small activity called Project 31. Its my way of showing support for people who wish to change their lifestyles or habits.You can read it at my blog. Anyway, Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jo, I *HEART* Richard!!!! I can remember many moons ago when he advertised his Deal A Meal plan on TV regularly. I could "connect" to him even though I was a young teen, and so very badly wanted to try Deal A Meal. It just made good sense to me, same as Weight Watchers. I even love watching him on various talk shows. He's a total crack up, and very REAL. I wish I could do his workout videos without feeling like a total idiot. He's for sure one of my favorite people representing the weight loss world. :)

    PS....some traditions need to just stay the same. How many more first days of school do you have with your son? With my kids being in 4th and 6th grade now, I don't have many left. If they want to go somewhere special the first day, then by God I'll take 'em! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you got rest and have a good day today :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, I love that you're going to keep the tradition with your son. I love those kinds of things because that's what you remember so many years from now. The good thing is, there's a way to fast food healthy and because you're on WW, really nothing is off limits! Hope you got some rest and had a great first day of school! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just checkin in and wanted to say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You've totally inspired me to check out those videos. I'm looking them up as I type this! :-) And I think that regardless of how fast you are or aren't losing comparing to others is unimportant in the face of the fact that you are doing so well and I know you will continue to do so!

    ReplyDelete