Awhile back, we took my son to the orthodontist. Well, he needs surgery to remove a baby tooth, get a chain put around an impacted tooth and a little flap of skin removed.
He freaked. I tried to calm him, but I kind of put this on the back burner, didn't call the specialist and hoped it would all go away without me dealing with it.
I was also afraid of cost, as we only have so much orthodontia insurance, and I questioned whether this would fall under normal dentistry or orthodontia.
Finally, I'll only admit this here, I freaked. Having my son go under? Eeeks. I get scared to go under, but him? It will be a Xanax day when this takes place.
Anyway, yesterday the specialist called here. They said we had been referred, and would like to set up an appointment. Sheesh, so much for me burying my head in the sand. They had an appointment open today, so we're going to head to the big city.
My son is not happy.
I am all about bribes, so I old him we'd go to the Olive Garden after the appointment. I did great last time I was there, but today I'm a bit nervous. I'm going to allow myself one breadstick, the salad with the dressing on the side, and get an entree. My fear is the breadsticks will call my name to calm my nerves.
The good thing is the scale moved this morning--finally. I'm hoping it wasn't a fluke, it shouldn't be as I've remained on plan. I don't want anything to mess that up. So while I'm eyeing those breadsticks, I'll keep that new secret number in my head. That should be motivation enough to stay on target.
So hopefully we can work in some fun in the big city today as well.
Good luck to both of you. I suggest that once you are seated at the Olive Garden, tell the waitress what you want...and that you only want a certain amount of bread sticks and no more!
ReplyDeleteThat way you will not keep getting asked if you want more, and you will not be tempted to ask for more because it would be awkward after saying you did not want to be offered them.
Stay calm, Mommy...that is what he needs to see.
I always have the waiter lick all the breaksticks. Somehow, that helps me not eat so many.
ReplyDeleteTry it... it works!
Ugghhh! That stinks!
ReplyDeleteYou will do fine Jo! You are getting stronger handling these unplanned situations and planning ahead is the key.
I'm glad your son has such a loving and doting mom to see him through life's little trials. I spent 2.5 years in and out of the orthodontist when I was in junior high. They weren't fun trips, but I do remember my mom being right there with me, and somehow, that made it all okay. :)
ReplyDeleteHopefully it will all go just fine. Just stay calm and enjoy your lunch together afterwards. When my son had 2 baby teeth pulled he didn't even remember it.
ReplyDeleteI bet he will surprise you once you are there. My kids always do. And you are doing all the right things by preparing him, and talking him through what to expect. That really helps.
ReplyDeleteGood luck! Braces and tooth surgery are tough and scary for a kid (hell, let's not lie, for adults too), but I think you'll do a good job of helping him with it. I hope all goes well. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteAnd grats on the unofficial but still exciting scale movement in the right direction.
Tell that server to only BRING you 1 breadstick. You can also ask them to not butter the breadsticks. That knocks the calorie content down quite a bit. Oh, and ask for whole wheat pasta (they only have it in Angel hair at our OG). You can do this Jo!!!
ReplyDeletePS....my 9 year old daughter had to have oral surgery a few days before Christmas this past year. Because they were digging for a baby tooth that was embedded deep in the roof of her mouth, they had to put her under. For kids, that means surgery in the hospital. The entire thing went really well!!! I was all freaked out for weeks before the event. So was she. The only "bad" thing was finding out the hard way she's allergic to morphine. She was COVERED with hives. Small problem in the grand scheme of things!!! It all worked out & she got to eat ice cream for a week while it healed. LUCKY!!! :)
Good luck to your son. I'm sure everything will go just fine. :) I had similiar Dentist issues when I was young, I was so scared to go to the dentist no matter what it was. Kind of funny, I'm kind of like that now too! Just recently, sitting in the dentist chair, they asked me if I was planning on punching them because I had my hands balled up into fists, just because I was nervous. lol
ReplyDeleteAs far as Olive Garden, I always get the unlimited soup and salad. They have some pretty low cal soups there and the salad is so delish!
Okay, a little detail about me...I STILL have a baby tooth and I'm almost 37. So, it's good that he is taking care of it now. I'm going to have to one of these days. You and your son will be in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI liked the idea of the waiter licking all the breadsticks! :) Enjoy your one, and then have them sent away!
Thanks for your encouragment on my blog. It always helps!
Aw that sucks. I feel for your son. I have total situation anxiety. The dentist office is the worst. The good thing about being knocked out is, he will not remember it. I wish I could do that in other aspects of life.
ReplyDeleteI hope you & your son managed okay at the appointment.
ReplyDeleteThe only time I went to OG (we don't have one here) was in Alberta in the spring. After eating there I was shocked to discover how many calories and how much sodium they had packed into their food. Yikes.