Yesterday when I was reading blogs, I laughed out loud when I read Tena's blog. She wrote a post titled It's Still a Girdle. Amen sister, call it what it is!
I bought myself one pair of pants and four new tops along with my pajama bottoms. The shirts were all size 18/20. Gee, the last time I was in that size range, I don't remember clothing sizes being slashed like that. I was thrilled to buy a top with the number 18 on it. My pants were size 20.
The only problem was that I could not button the last button--the part around my spare tire. I didn't want to buy bigger-sized shirts as I know I'm shrinking, so I bought them all anyway.
When we walked into JCPenney, I headed for the lingerie section. I carefully scouted out a clerk that was older and more my size. The cute skinny clerk came up to me and asked if she could help me as I was making a bee-line to the clerk I wanted, so I said thanks, I'm just looking. It wasn't a lie because I was just looking for a clerk I'd feel comfortable with.
I then went up to the "like me" clerk and she was very friendly and helpful. I explained I was in the process of losing weight, that I had just bought four shirts but couldn't button the last button--or could button it, but was afraid it would pop. I was about to ask for the "girdle" section when she beat me to it. She said, "You need a cincher."
She took me to the cinchers. Oh my. I had no idea what a cincher was. I looked at the thing, with a million hooks like bra hooks, and thought: NO WAY. The largest size she had was a 2X. I knew that wouldn't work, as that area is bigger and out of proportion to the rest of me. I was right, it did not work. I also asked her about Spanx, as I've read a lot about them.
JCPenney's carries Flexees, which are like Spanx. She handed me an XL, and I asked if she had a 2X. She did. I tried both. I could wear the XL, but it was so tight I feared I wouldn't be able to breathe and worse, I feared I would split the seams on the thing. The 2X was snug and believe it or not, it actually felt good on me.
I hope that JCPenney's did not have security people watching me try on clothes. I would have had them rolling with laughter. When I had the 2X Flexees on, I couldn't see that it cinched me in. I would focus on my gut, line it up with the crack in the door in my line of sight, then I'd pull it down fast so I could see a difference. I did it about 10 times. Kind of like a before/after of someone sucking their gut in. Even I was laughing at myself. I wasn't sure, couldn't see a difference, but I bought it anyway.
So as Tena stated, call it what you will: Spanx, supportive undergarment, whatever, it's still a flippin' girdle. Thankfully it's not the rubbery, weird smelling version that my skinny mother wore in the late 60s.
When we got home, I tried on all my clothes for hubby. The first thing I did was put on my Flexees, then my pants, and then the shirts. Guess what? It worked! It cinched me just enough to get that last button buttoned.
I debated posting this. Who in their right mind wants to admit they bought a girdle? The thing is, I get so much help reading others' blogs, that maybe someone else out there has the same last-button problem that I did. The garment actually felt good. Who woulda thunk it?
~~~
In that department, I also had a NSV. As I was walking into the changing room to try these things on, an older clerk, in front of customers!!!, said, "Oh, you're trying on our torture devices." I was not pleased that she did that. It was embarrassing enough that I was doing it, but I didn't need it announced. I had folded the things up to try to get in there discretely. So I turned the situation around.
I turned to her and said, "Yes, I am. You see, I have lost almost 45 pounds and I bought some new clothes today. I fit into a size 18/20 but my tummy isn't catching up with the rest of my body and I couldn't button the bottom button. So instead of buying clothing too big for me, and knowing I am going to continue to lose weight, I thought I might try these Spanx."
How's that for bringing a little glory to myself? I could have fumed, turned beet red, and sulked. I could have said nothing. Instead, I celebrated my victory. The clerk got very excited! She congratulated me. I noticed the customers she was helping smiled. (Two middle-aged women like me, but thinner.) She looked me up and down and then said: I want to know how you're doing it, because you are firm! You look good. I smiled, said Weight Watchers, and went into the dressing room.
She may have been placating me, I don't know. My husband told me that I do look pretty firm--more so than I did at my highest. Instead of getting upset--well, it did upset me that she said that out loud--I handled the situation. Six months ago that would have had me running down the mall to find the nearest cinnamon roll I could find. Monday, I was assertive and stood up for myself, and did it in a nice manner.
I loved this whole post, but I especially loved your comment back to the clerk. Wow! What self confidence that showed.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on purchasing the smaller sizes. You'll be out of pluses completely before you know it!
LOL... loved this. I'll be "girdle" shopping this weekend. Of course, my euphemism of preference is "support garments"
ReplyDeleteBravo! You had me laughig out loud!
ReplyDeleteGreat story!!! I can't tell you how many of those things I've bought and finally I've just decided I'm going free *smile*. Way go to the 18/20's you are doing terrific. You deserve every nice compliment so remember that *hugs*.
ReplyDeleteWhy, oh why do clerks feel they must comment on our purchases? Where is the training, teaching them not to do that? Sheesh! Good for you for standing up for yourself.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove the blog!
ReplyDeleteJo!!!!!!!!! You crack me up beyond words! I'm a Flexee's gal. I wear them all the time for work. They totally get rid of the "muffin top" action. I have different versions of them depending on what I'm wearing, how much "cinching" I need, how BLOATED I am. lol
ReplyDeleteI might be at goal, but I have a lot of loose skin from losing 80 pounds. I also blame my children for some of the damage (like the apron of skin that some call a tummy). Sigh. Thank God for Flexees!!!!!
Kohl's sometimes runs them on sale, buy 2 get 1 freee (the free one comes in the mail after you send in the rebate slip). Butted up with the 30% off Kohl's coupon....and you have a fabulous "cinched up" deal!
You are just fabulous! I cracked up at the girdle story.
ReplyDeleteIt's so wonderful that you told her off like that. And you totally deserve their admiration for the 45 pounds you've kicked to the curb. Way to go, Jo!
One word...BRAVO!!!
ReplyDeleteI love the girdle story! haha. I hate being questioned by the store clerks too!
ReplyDeleteWow... I thought you handled the last situation well, but this was an even better story! Great job, Jo! Also, I bought a pair of Spanx when I got married and bring them out whenever I am going somewhere really fancy (which isn't often). They do really work!
ReplyDeleteKudos to you for that awesome NSV and I'm so so so proud of you for asserting yourself! Way to go!
ReplyDeleteI don't call them girdles, that's too old school, they're fat suckers. And I love them. I've never had any that really change my clothing size, but kind of smooth everything out so I can wear the more form fitting tops and bottoms without feeling like a roly poly. There's no shame in that!
Wow, what a day! I have a pair of Spanx too, only where them when I need a little tummy smoothing, not too often, but they aren't bad. :)
ReplyDeleteThe word girdle fairly makes me giggle lol. sorry.
ReplyDeletenice on the smaller clothes size missus *high fives* way to on telling that clerk too. i would have been so embarrased and like ran off or something. Kudos, jo.
Oh my gosh, best story ever! I laughed out loud. Frankly, I think spanx have helped mainstream these devices. I wear them quite often and I love them! Heck, I wore em on our wedding day. Also, way to make a good situation from a bad!
ReplyDeleteLove your experience - you are really coming into your own, Jo!
ReplyDeleteGood to know about the Flexes - I need some help with a particular dress that I'll be wearing an a couple of weeks - will head over to my Penney's and commence with the dreaded try on!
BRA-vo !
ReplyDeleteWhen I bought my first "fat shirt" I thought I would die.
Not just eventually, but right there.
Go go Jo!
Awesome story!!! I have thought about a "cincher" for a while-maybe it's time!
ReplyDeleteAnd I LOVE that you stood up for yourself. You are so awesome :)
Bravo!! While you were looking for the cinammon rolls, I would have been sniffing out the Chinese food! :) Hooray for progress!!
ReplyDeleteOnce I was in a store buying some "shapewear" and the clerk told me that she'd heard a theory that people actually like wearing them because of the squeeze that reminds them on some level of being hugged!! I thought that was a very interesting theory and it makes me chuckle every time I get a hug from own belly squeezer. :-)
ReplyDeleteGood for you for your response to the sales associate! I think I would have just slunk into the dressing room.
ReplyDeleteI briefly (pun!) considered something spanx-y for under the skirt I just bought, but didn't have time that day to investigate anything. I hate my flabby belly. My experience with that type of undergarment is that I get hot and (tmi alert) sweaty. :(
I probably will get something to wear in the winter, though. I know I would fit better in clothes if I did.
Thanks for sharing, and yes, I remember my mom's girdles from the early 70s too!