Retta is having a contest. I can't help her with her contest, because I'm what I like to call kitchen challenged. It's all I can do to keep track of food groups and points. It's a very cool contest, though, so please pop on over and take a look. I hope some of you great cooks can help her come up with some good plans!
~~~
My son is sick. He's been having really bad insomnia due to the ADD meds. Once last week he was awake at 5 in the morning--he had not slept. So I let him sleep in, we did school when he got up. I don't think this is working. The kid has bags under his eyes, he felt toxic and sick and had a throbbing headache all day. So will go back to the doctor and stop taking the meds. Poor kid. He loved the ability to focus, but it's not worth it if you lose sleep and become ill.
~~~
Went thrifting this morning, came upon some really bad garage sales. I gave up on sales and went to Salvation Army and another Thrift Store. I found three FIRM tapes for $1 each, so I snapped them up. I was happy. After that we all went to the sporting goods store where hubby bought me 5-, 8- and 12-pound weights with a holder. I also got gloves because I didn't like the feel of the weights. (I wanted the pretty colored ones, but they were too expensive.) I cannot believe the price of weights! Good grief! I had no idea. These will hold me for quite awhile.
I did my strength training today in one of my new outfits!!! Had hubby take a photo of me, but the shirt is so tight that it is too gross to publish. It fits--it's a snug shirt, but it reveals all the bulges and it's just one of those things that nobody wants to see. lol
I wanted to journal about my exercise experience, and I didn't really want to clutter this up with daily exercise posts. That's why I have the exercise calendar--but I want more. I want details, what weights i used, how I felt, etc., because I want to go back and compare. So, I started a blog that I was just going to keep to myself, but then I decided to link to it on the side. It is called 282.5 Firming Up. Yes, it's a play on words as I am so in love with The FIRM (the older stuff) that I'll mostly be focusing on that. I'll throw some Richard Simmons and Leslie cardio in, too, but The FIRM was made for me: It's girly-girl yet tough, and it just makes me feel good to watch/do it.
~~
I will be cleaning like a fiend tomorrow and don't know if I'll be making blog rounds again. This is really bothering me. I try when I have a five-minute block of time, but it's just not cutting it. Give me a week and I'll be good. I hope. It just seems everything usually hits me at once, and I am not a multi-tasker. I had so much laundry today (and I'm still not even close to being done) that I felt like loading it up and going to a laundromat. lol I didn't.
That is all my fault, though, as I let things slide a bit. I'm paying the price now! At least school is ready for next week and I have zero prep work for that.
Happy weekend.
I'm behind on your blog. Big congrats on loosing the 4 lbs!
ReplyDeleteMy kid has done his own laundry since he was in Jr. High. I don't like to do laundry, at all.
Having a nice clean house is the best!
so proud of you babe, and will be checking in on you on the other blog..keep up your great work. you'll find your balance. Patience grasshopper!
ReplyDeleteLaundry. Ick. Mine is currently in three different places in the house beckoning me and I've been ignoring the calls for too long. Oh, why can't I have a maid?
ReplyDeleteYour poor son...insomnia is awful for an adult; can't imagine how a young person deals with it.
ReplyDeleteMy husband has been home for three days now and it looks like a tornado has hit our house, so I will be with you in spirit today, doing laundry and cleaning. Hey, at least we will be burning some extra calories, right?!?
Have you ever heard that you can treat ADD/ADHD with Caffeine? Kids need only small amounts and there's a lot of evidence to support the practice. Many parents prefer it to harder pharmaceuticals.
ReplyDelete(I'm not trying to boss you, it's just a little FYI. My hubby was treated for ADD and the Ritalin was horrible on him. Now he uses small amounts of caffeine when he needs to.)
Also weighing in on the ADD, since I have been through this with one son. Have you tried giving him the short-acting Ritalin or similar med? They only last 4 hours or so, and would be out of his system by bedtime. We had to try many different meds and dosages, but eventually got it right, and it helped him immeasurably. Best of all, my son has not had any meds in a year, having grown out of the worst of the ADD. There is hope!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry your son is not feeling well. I can relate a little because I've been have a bit of insomnia the past few days. It's hard to function when you're not sleeping well. I'll keep him in my thoughts.
ReplyDeleteYou certainly sound like a multi-tasker to me, you seem to be taking care of things so well while you have so much to tend to.
ReplyDeleteHang in there and keep up the great positive energy! xoxo
I'm sorry to hear about the meds making your son sick. I wish I had some experience with ADD meds so I could give you some advice, but I just don't. Maybe there's a different medicine, one with a lower dosage, that doesn't have such terrible side affects? I hate to see him lose his focus when he was enjoying it so much. I can see through your posts that you've got a great kid and you love him more than life. I'll be praying that you find what works for him soon. :)
ReplyDeleteIt's hard to get through the blogs once you take a day off, they add up so fast!
ReplyDeleteI don't know anything about add. But I do know what a blessing it is to homeschool and to be able to tailor your son's scedule around whatever it is you decide. Just know that is one of the best decisions you could have made for him. I am afraid to start lifting weights cause I don't think I could handle watching my weight even out instead of go down...Maybe when I am under two hundred. Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteChris
(((Hugs))) I hope you can get things worked out for your son. It is so painful to see them no feeling well for any reason.
ReplyDeleteSorry the meds aren't working for him and that he isn't sleeping. Hopefully you can find a suitable alternative quickly.
ReplyDeleteI need to check Salvation Army for some workout DVDs. I am there like 3 days a week anyway ;-) So thanks for the suggestion.
Great job on getting the weights. I think it will really help you "Firm" up!
I'm trying to catch up...you are doing an awesome job girl!!
ReplyDeleteMy son took Ritalin and it was horrible. We switched to Concerta. He is now med free. With some behavior modification and food modification, he is doing very well. He has not been on meds for over three years. He also plays football which helps a lot. I wish you the best! It's so difficult sometimes to know what's best but you will find what works for your son. :)