A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

10.12.2009

Argh

I just had a panic attack. It wasn't unwarranted, my concern, but my body reacts so strongly. Hubby was snoring really weird and I tried to wake him up for about three minutes and he wouldn't wake up. It was scary. Then he woke up, said hi, rolled over, and quit snoring. He's been very tired and putting in tons of extra hours at work, so he was completely exhausted. He snores when he sleeps on his back. There was nothing to worry about--yet I did.

Anyway I cried, and I shook, and my heart felt as if it would beat out of my chest. Why can't I have normal reactions to things? Why does my body do that to me? I took a half a Xanax and it helped. I'm waiting a half hour to see if I need to take another half or not. I'm better, my heart is no longer racing, and I'm not shaking, but my mind is wired up like I had tons of caffeine and am imitating the Energizer Bunny.

Good grief.

I think had I not witnessed both my parents have heart attacks and go unconscious, that I might not have such strong reactions to things like this. But my body takes me back to both mom and dad, mom 16 years ago and dad a year and a half ago, and my body remembers and I react. I hope to someday get over this. I don't know how, but it would be nice to not have my body react like it does.

~~

Tomorrow I'm supposed to take my son to the big city to get his spacers put in for his braces. Well, here I am wide awake, which isn't good, plus we're expecting 5 inches of snow tomorrow. Normally if the temps are okay, I don't worry about driving in snow. But, this is the first significant snow of the season, and people drive like idiots, forgetting they need to slow down. Plus, if there's wind, I don't like to drive in it due to visibility. Yet I grew up in snow country and I know how to drive in it, have driven through blizzards that "came up" and can do okay. I told the orthodontist that I would not travel to an appointment if it was snowing and he said that was fine and understandable. (Bet his scheduling staff would think differently.) Yet we've got to get those spacers in to get the braces on. And I'm in a heightened anxiety state--I'll be anxious tomorrow, just because it takes awhile to get it out of my system.

This sucks. If I had my way, I'd get up, try to get the appointment postponed to later in the week when we're expecting 60 degree temps, and just stay home, do school and chill. That's the easy way out. I'll have to make the decision early tomorrow so I can notify them. Ugh. I hate making decisions like that, but I also hate driving in snow and the day after a panic attack.

On a positive note, I didn't even think about turning to food. I used to calm myself a bit and turn to sugar for comfort. I don't have any sugar, but I realized it didn't even pop into my brain. It used to be something would happen, and I'd sit down to catch my breath and eat at the same time. So I guess another step forward on that one.

~~~~

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I was embarrassed to post September's photos for some reason. (The bra, which I already posted here! Plus, the super tight orange shirt around the gut.) I have firmed up which is more apparent in real life than in the photos. I don't like posing for those--what overweight person likes their photo taken? Reminds me of having a mug shot every time...but it's fun to compare them, I guess.

~~~~

Finally, a note to Kelly. I forgot to respond, but I did read your comment about a blog. Start a blog! Do it! Use blogger, it's very easy! If you need help, email me. My addy is at the very bottom of the page. My husband says (and I agree) that this blog is the single most important tool on my health journey. He's right. He said the other thing is that I found the FIRM and am exercising seriously now. He's right again.

So Kelly, do it! Do email me anyway and I'll share some links for stat counters, skins, etc. I'm no expert by any means, but I know enough to help you get started. =)

11 comments:

  1. Hugs, Jo!!! Sorry your anxiety is up, but it is understandable considering what you have been through. If I were you I would certainly be tempted to cancel that appointment tomorrow too. Great job on not turning to food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry about your anxiety attack...it must be awful. I have athing about fevers. I once saw my little brother, when he was a baby, go into a seizure because his temperature was too high. Now, I can't let my kids go over 101 cause it freaks me out too bad. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jo--hope by now you are feeling better. Snow! I am still not used the season differences. It is Spring here and we finally had a gorgeous sunny day with no rain. If it weren't for the bugs I would be in heaven. Hope you have a safe trip into the city tomorrow. Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xanax to save the day!
    Good that you remembered to take it.
    That's why its there, eh?
    Be safe today - and try to *sleep!* sometime, ok?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have major problems with panic attacks and anxiety. Those major events with your parents probably made them worse for you. Maybe a therapist would help, it helped me. I also take Lexapro which has helped. If Xanac works, great! Keep your chin up and get some sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hugs Jo! Glad you're feeling better. And you did not turn to food. That's major!:-)
    First snow of the season-ugh! They're predicting snow here later in the week, and I'm not looking forward to it for the same reasons you mentioned. What is it with people??
    Good luck with the spacers. My son had to have one put in for the bottom teeth about a month ago. He hated it for the first week, but then kind of forgot about it.
    And if I were you, I would reschedule if I were at all nervous about the roads. I've done it before. Better safe than sorry as the saying goes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My DH snores as well... I'm constantly pushing him and begging him to 'roll over'. I understand your concern.
    I'm so sorry that you were so upset. *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw your pics. You're disappearing before our very eyes, Jo. Way to go, girl.

    As for the snoring, just punch him in side. That's what Anita does to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow you are learning new coping mechanisms. Wow that is so impressive. Great job! Sorry about all the stressors, watching not one but two heart attacks would put undue stress on anyone. Sorry you had to go through that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry to hear about the panic attack Jo...it sounds like a terrible thing to deal with. And it sounds like what you saw with your parents probably has a lot to do with it. I'm glad that comforting yourself with food/sugar never even entered your head. That's real progress girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. HI, have you ever tried Cranio Sacral therapy? its pretty popular in my part of the world for panic attacks specifically related to "body memories" also, "EFT" maybe helpful? Both have lots of applications for what you are dealing with - google for more info if you are inclined.
    Good luck, I enjoy your blog

    ReplyDelete