The truth is, I'm worried sick. I've had lots of tears the past few days. I'm just stressed out.
My baby, who is absolutely not a baby at 14, is having oral surgery Monday. Maybe--his throat was red this morning and he's not feeling well. I'm really worried about it. He saw his neurologist this past Monday and he upped his medication, which is good because he's a growing boy, and I point-blank asked him what could happen to him being under general anesthesia having epilepsy. The answer? He could have a break-through seizure. Could--a short little word that put the fear of God into me.
That just scared the sh*t out of me. Sorry, but desperate times brings out my foul language.
My son was diagnosed with juvenile myoclonic epilepsy the summer of '08. He was having myoclonic jerks (similar to that jolt you may experience as you're falling asleep) and we had him checked out. My heart broke with his diagnosis, as did his, but at least we had the diagnosis before he had a grand mal seizure--a less traumatic way to learn about it.
I hate epilepsy.
So this morning when I had the flashlight out looking at his red throat, I got to thinking about H1N1. I hear it's going around our small town. Did you know that 2/3of children that have died from H1N1 have a neurological disorder? Either epilepsy, cerebral palsy or developmental delay. The latest I could find as 70% of the 36 beautiful, innocent children who have lost their lives had one of these disorders.
That scares the sh*t out of me.
My son would be a priority to get the H1N1 vaccine. Our family physician, however, quipped at me when I asked about it. "We're not ordering it. We're not going to be their guinea pigs." She advises against it. Today I had to talk to my son's neurologist's nurse, and I asked her about it (because I forgot to ask the doctor) and she said get it.
What do I do? Our doctor doesn't have it, doesn't recommend it. Son's got surgery Monday if he's not got a cold/flu or is ill. He just upped his meds to double what he was taking. That's a lot going on with his body--changes.
I am a basket case.
I've also read online that kids with epilepsy have had reactions to the vaccine. Supposedly, they need shots instead of the nasal sprays. Yet even with the shots, some had reactions that put them in the hospital.
So this week we've been out of town Monday, Tuesday I carted DS around to after-school classes, and today we had to go out of town again. We had to take my precious puppy Pip to the vet. Pip has been eating his hair! The vet doesn't know what it is, could be mange, but he didn't test positive. No fleas found. So Pip got a shot of steroids and medications to try. He looks so pathetic. Interestingly, his hair loss is only on the lower half of his body.
Hubby logged in almost 140 hours over the past two weeks at work. Gee, I wish he was paid overtime. So he's been working every Saturday and late hours during the week, and has been exhausted when he's home. It makes me extremely lonely when he falls asleep on the couch. I just need a little adult conversation from him on a daily basis, but I haven't been getting it.
When we got home from the vet today, it was supper time. I didn't cook. Instead, I went and took a hot Calgon-type bath. I needed to wash away all the stress. I wish that would work, but it doesn't take the stress away. It helps, but... The I put on my nightgown and fell fast asleep.
I am just drained.
I know that worry is pointless, stupid, and a waste of time. I know it is illogical to worry. I know this. Yet my mind won't stop it. I try cognitive behavioral therapy with myself. Stop, live in the now, not the future. That does help re-focus me a little, but still I worry.
My best friend is out of town right now, and she's the one that I can spout off to when need be. So instead, I spout off to the blog.
When I was in the tub, I was thinking of all my favorite foods...I wish I could go binge and eat macaroni and cheese, bean burritos and nachos, my beloved store-bought cookies. Then I laughed. I do think I have got it down that doing that doesn't help a thing. It only makes things worse. So I'm still within range today. After my nap, I ate a sensible dinner and am still on plan. That helps, taking care of my body.
So at least I've made great strides in that area. Now if I could learn to cope better with worries, tension, stress, and anxiety I'd be much healthier. And in reality, I am better in all those regards. I also had a visit from Aunt Flo this week, so my emotions are somewhat fueled by hormones. I am very aware of that. Nonetheless, they're still there. And I'll be worried about my son no matter what and forever, because that's how I am as a mom.
One moment at a time. We're getting through all this. I just want the surgery to be over. I just wish I had the answers and knew what to do. Vaccinate or not? And if so, where!
My mom once sent me a poem when I was feeling blue.
In everybody’s garden a little rain must fall
Or life’s sweetest fairest flowers,
Wouldn’t grow and bloom at all.
And though the clouds hang heavy
So heavy. Oh! My friend.
I’m sure that God who sends the shower
Will send the rainbow’s end.
I don't know who wrote this.
I'd like to think that my mom watches over my son. In fact, now that my dad is with her, I'd like to think they both do. And even though mom has been gone for 16 years, she still comforts me. Because that's what moms do.
So I pretend to not be worried, go about life as usual, and love and comfort my son.
Hey Jo,
ReplyDeleteI will pray for your son, that he isn't sick, or that it just passes by. My daughter sophie has reactions to shots that are just bizarre. All over body rashesand such. As a result, she isn't fully vaccinated. I bounce back and forth too. If you are concerned I would ask a second opinion from a doctor. Or, go with your gut. It's usually right.
Hugs,
Chris
((hugs)) at feeling so stressed. One of my nieces has epilepsy and has been fine under surgery. I too would seek another doctor's opinion on the H1N1 vaccine, yours sounds rather reactionary and not well-informed.
ReplyDeleteWow jo, you are so incredibly brave. Going through all this and having the sense to get in the tub and laugh. You rock~ I'm really proud of you.
ReplyDeleteOh, I'm so hoping for the best. You're a mom, you're gonna worry. That's how it is. I was a very sickly kid/teen and my mom an ddad, well, I remember them worrying over me. Proves they love. God bless you and your son and let everything be all right.
ReplyDeleteThe Princess----who still has a cough and fatigue after 4 weeks of the flu...
My motto is fake it tilll you make it. Act like everything will work out and they will. Remember, it usually always does. Oh, and pray. Actually do that 1st so you have the courage to fake it. That's what I do anyway.
ReplyDeleteIt's hard when you have a sick kid. I don't care how old they are.
Take care...
Can you get a second opinion from somebody that knows about epilepsy? It is hard to watch your child taken away for surgery, but keep your chin up. I agree with above...fake it. Sometimes pretending everything is OK makes it OK.
ReplyDeleteBig hugs Jo. I really hope everything works out (it usually does). I am a chronic worrier too. Can't help it, have tried to stop it, and for the life of me, I can't. It's just how we are made. I so understand your stress and worry in this situation. I wish I had the best advice ever to give you, but all I have is my prayers that everything will turn out just fine, and that you continue to have the strength you need for your son and family! Hang in there, my thoughts and prayers are with you!
ReplyDeleteAnd a hot soaking bath is my escape too!! It doesn't fix anything, but you sure feel better afterwards!!
I'll be praying for your son, and for you, for strength.
ReplyDeleteThey say that H1N1 hits people (esp kids) with asthma really bad, too, so my sister hemmed and hawed about getting herself and my niece vaccinated (both have asthma), but before she could decide, my niece came down with it. She was better within a week, and my sister never caught it, and I swear she catches EVERYTHING and stays sick 85% of the time!
All I am saying is, they were an exception to the things that are said, so hopefully your son will be as well. ((hugs))
Sending out huge hugs and love to you Jo!
ReplyDeleteRemember to breathe and sending positive healing thoughts to you. ((((Hugs))))
ReplyDeleteHugs to you, Jo...
ReplyDeleteHugs, Jo!
ReplyDeleteVaccinating is a tough, personal choice.
I do have some friends who have a 3 year old with Cystic Fibrosis & after much deliberating they decided to get both flu vaccinations for the whole family. They were able to get the nasal spray for every one except the DS w/CF and so far so good.
Best wishes & prayers that everything goes smoothly for your son.
Hang in there & know we're all rooting for you. :)
Lynn
Oh how I can relate to so much of what you're going through! Seriously. Our daughter is even going to have oral surgery soon! Yikes. I understand the apprehension so well.
ReplyDeleteIf it makes you feel better, our daughter got the H1N1 vaccine along with the regular flu shot over 2 weeks ago and is fine. No, she doesn't have the same issues as your son, but she does have asthma and got the shot version instead of the mist. Not one problem, unless you count a sore arm. :)
Hang in there. Stress sucks but I'm told exercise helps. Not that I would know...I haven't worked out in almost TWO WEEKS! :(
Phillipians 4:6 [New Living Translation] "Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank Him for all he has done."
ReplyDeleteomg... you have a lot on your shoulders right now. I'm hoping that all works out and everything is fine for your son, and that you get a bit more time with your hubby and get some of these things worked out.
ReplyDelete:)
I would be so worried too! I am happy you did what you needed to relax. It IS important to still take care of yourself! Your son will be in my thoughts :)
ReplyDeleteAll you can do is the best you can do...if that makes any sense? I know its a tough decision, but you'll make the right one...whichever one it is! I'll add your son to my prayers that his oral surgery is successful (and I'm confident it will be!).
ReplyDelete((((Jo)))) I can understand your fear, especially with all the hype about the H1N1. My entire family has just come through a month long battle with it. My oldest (age 17) had it twice. We did not get the shot. We opted out for the same reasons your doctor won't order it. What we did do though is take mass doses of Vitamin C, garlic & Vit D-3. I was only sick for 21 days ... sounds like a while but for me (having a compromised immune system) that is nothing short of a miracle! I truly believe that taking the vitamins helped my entire family. Studies have shown that Vit D-3 is very important in battling this illness. I'll keep you all in my prayers!!!
ReplyDelete<3
ReplyDeleteoh jo! *hugs*