A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.08.2010

Frustrations...

Crawled into bed only to discover my kitty had pottied on it. Second time this week.

Note to self: It's wonderful that I have waterproof mattress pads.
Note to self: Go back to the old kitty litter. I hope that's the issue. Kitty is 16, but I'm not ready for -- well, enough said.

Curled up on love seat because the sheets from the last time are in the washer. Can't sleep.

Note to self: Sleep, dag-nab-it!

My house is a mess (well, I wouldn't die if someone came in, the public areas are okay, but it needs a really good cleaning.) Laundry is behind. Book work is behind. Feeling very overwhelmed. Have a major project I want to do and haven't found (made) the time to do it.

Note to self: Get off your butt and get 'er done. Except tomorrow we'll be out of town all day.

The biggie that's been on my mind: Was invited to a very close relative's milestone birthday. Would require driving 3 1/2 hours each way to attend. It's at night, and so I'd have to get a motel because I'm a baby when I'm tired. Don't want to spend money on a motel. Love the relative with all my heart, but her adult kids are hard to take. I have not RSVPed yet. I want to be there for the relative, but frankly? Parties are not my thing. This is outside, in a back yard/garage, and food will be a horrible issue. I get heat-induced edema, and I don't want to stand around outside in humidity for a few hours because I will swell. I will be chastised if I bring my own food, and they don't eat like I eat.

Bottom line: I don't want to go. I really, really don't. I also don't want to hurt her feelings. But dag-nab-it, I don't want to go. I'd rather go for an afternoon where she and I could visit, quietly. I am not in the mood for drama, whining, complaining, arrogance, being told how to eat, etc. And if I go, that's what I'll get.

What to do?

Note to self: I got nothin' here.

I'm going to try to get some sleep again. I'm not even tired, sadly. sigh

10 comments:

  1. well, could you politely decline her invitation, sighting that you are still recovering and the heat would be a huge problem, then offer to come and see her very soon for a quiet, more personal visit?
    Sorry about your kitty. Yes, mattress pads are a glorious thing.
    Good luck with your decision!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go on your terms. You don't have to give details when you decline just say that you're not available. Then go as you want and really enjoy this person you love.

    I've never heard of heat induced edema but I think I definitely was experiencing it yesterday. We're in the midst of a heatwave here and by the time I got home yesterday I was "all swolled up." Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo - sounds like a rock and a hard place thing. Sometimes those things are almost toxic.
    I bring my own food, or eat before hand. I will not let toxic people mess me up! It's never worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the other comments...say you can't make it to the party, but drive over to see her soon and take her out to lunch somewhere that you can order food YOU want to eat! Win-win. And frankly, I think it's much better than only having a couple of minutes of her time at a party full of people!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think i would also politely bow out but make a date with here for lunch/brunch etc. This heat is frustrating me this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get the heat-induced edema too. It just plain sucks. It has gotten better with the WL.

    I agree with the other comments. Set up a time to meet with her on YOUR terms ie; during the day at a place with healthy food choices, etc. and you will have quality one-on-one time :-)

    Boohiss on toxic relatives!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your idea of visiting separately. You shouldn't suffer because of someone else's ego or opinion(i.e. adult kids of family member).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I say do what is best for you. And that is NOT selfish at all. You have to take of yourself!!! Go and visit another time. You will be more comfortable and y'all will have a better visit.
    Good luck girl. Hope you get a good night's sleep-that helps a lot! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Send the most spectacular floral arrangment with a beautiful wish for happiness and call it a day!
    It will be cheaper than the hotel,gas,food you dont eat,etc.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's not selfish to decline invitations - even from family. It's only selfish if you decline them all.

    If you feel bad about missing it, these other readers' suggestions are great. Send flowers, send food (have you seen those amazing fruit arrangements?), only stay for a short time, bring your own food and ignore them, eat before, eat after...

    Maybe she'd just appreciate you calling and telling her that you've been having some problems with edema this summer.

    ReplyDelete