A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

9.26.2010

Move it!

Exercise. Something I have always loved, then got to big to enjoy, then found again. My heart belongs to Anna Benson's The FIRM workouts. I love them beyond words.

It's been about one year since I got serious about fitness. Many, many dollars later, I have a wonderful collection of exercise DVDs and VHS tapes. In that year I've learned to lift weights, which was Anna Benson's gift to me. I also rekindled my love of step aerobics.

The three components of exercise: strength, cardio and stretching are being met. I have not yet found a yoga tape I love or will even do. However, I love Classical Stretch.

The past few weeks, I have found myself changing in what I crave to do. My body is talking to me. Partly because of the FitBit, and partly because of my doctor's note that "exercise will raise my HDL," I've changed. I've toned tings down somewhat--or rather, added some toned down things.

I discovered George Foreman's Walk It Off series. Petra Kolber leads these, but George is our coach! They're fun. It's marching in place, walking around the living room, with great music and nice chitchat between the group. I also bought some Classical walking CDs from Collage Video. Was I ever thrilled to discover some of my beloved FIRM songs on those!

I'm averaging at least 20,000 steps a day now. That's way up. I'm moving it. This also started the scale moving again for me--at least that's what I figure by looking at my spreadsheets. Not much, but it appears I've lost 5 pounds in the last 30 days.

My body has also been craving fluid movement, graceful movement. I don't like yoga and I doubt I ever will. I have a few yoga DVDs, but--eww. lol (No offense to those that love yoga!) Today I really stepped out on a limb and bought a Qi Gong DVD. It is just so beautiful and graceful. When I'm all alone, I can see myself attempting it! I also bought a cardio yoga DVD that does a bit of cardio, then into a good stretch. I'm trying.

Finally, I bought Petra Kolber's Breathe 1 & 2. I love Petra Kolber--she just has a good energy to her. These tapes look so graceful. I need some grace in my life.

So I grow and change. I can lift weights and love it. I can do step and love it. Now I'll add some walking DVDs, some floor aerobics and some new flowing movements.

I love how my body tells me what I need and what it craves. It knows what it needs for fitness. Told hubby that when I was much heavier, I just couldn't do these graceful moves. I'm feeling more confident that I can now.

Fitness is at the center of my life now. That's a very good thing.

~~~~~~~
Happy Birthday to Jack LaLanne today! He's 96 today! I found this quote he made last night and it sums up perfectly why I started my get healthy journey:

"I don't care how old I live, I just want to be living while I am living!"

Me too, Jack! Me too!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't been bitten by the yoga bug either. It's not that I don't like the IDEA of yoga...I just can't seem to stay interested in it. And I've tried quite a few times, lol. That said, tai chi did work for me a few years ago and I've been thinking about getting back into it. I think it's great that exercise has become such an important part of your life. I've had success integrating the cardio, but still have to work on the strength side of things. Any tips for a newbie?
    Rae
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think that I would like yoga but I actually ended up loving it. There are different kinds of yoga too, so check them out. But really it's all about finding the kind of activity you like and will do - whatever that is!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! I needed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, I'm not there yet on the exercise. Although I did burn 3800 calories on Sunday working outside. I am envious of those of you who can get that high from straight up exercise.
    You're doing great Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Jo. Looks like you are still doing great!

    ReplyDelete