Writer's block, maybe? Stuck in a rut, or perhaps better put, in a good routine? I'm sailing along right now and have nothing profound or mundane to say. Hmmm.
This past week I've been working on things that bother me. Specifically things that have happened to me that changed me--changed me in a bad way. Won't go into specifics, but it was pretty bad to me.
I started thinking of Stuart Smalley. Remember Al Franken playing Stuart? I’m good enough, I’m smart enough, and dog-gone it, people like me. Positive affirmations. I started thinking about how they actually do work if you use them, and I came up with a few. The one that I used repeatedy this past week was:
I let go.
Every time the negative memories popped into my head, and that happens a lot, I just repeated over and over, "I let go." You know what? It started to work. I started having a bit of peace. I didn't get upset, I didn't get anxious, I just kept repeating it and soon the thoughts disappeared. It may just work.
Think it would work if I positively affirmed: I'm not hungry, even when my stomach is growling? lol
My husband tells me I have a bad habit of hanging on to bad things and thinking them over and over and over. He's right, I do. So I'm trying to change that. I let go.
Now, I won't be using Stuart's line. I know I'm good enough, I know I'm intelligent, and I know people like me--I have confidence in that arena. Yet I can think of many affirmations to use in areas where I'm not so strong.
Losing weight and getting healthy is not all about losing weight and getting healthy, it's mostly about fixing thinking. It's the stinking thinking that gets us overweight to begin with. So I'm at a stage now where I'm not afraid to tackle some of the more difficult self-messages I feed myself. I've come a long way, but now it's time to dig really deep. As my motto states: I can and I will.
and we do like you!
ReplyDeleteI remember last year while I was walking (and right around 220 lbs) i was thinking all these really bad thoughts. They must think I am a fat pig...how did I let myself get so large. etc.
Then I thought of something Jack wrote.
think of a positive affirmation such as 'positive affirmations are really as silly as we think they are'.
It made me laugh. but it also got me out of my negative mindset.
My favorite tape buster is
I'll feel bad about myself tomorrow.
Man, nothing has helped as much as that one phrase.
It gives me permission to put the bad tape out of my head and not think about it.
It puts my procrastination to good use.
lol.
Glad to see you back.
xo xo
ReplyDeletethe tackling of those selfmessages changed my life.
workwork? yes
worth it? YES!!
It's great to see you back! I had to laugh out loud at the Stuart Smalley reference...oh my.
ReplyDeleteGlad to see you back. Changing the mindset is proving to be the most difficult thing to do. We can do it though. This is a great post!
ReplyDeleteHere's a blog award that you are most deserving of.
http://anewertammy.com/2010/10/04/weigh-in-week-…-plus-an-award/
ahhh thats a sweet email :)
ReplyDelete*huggles*
ReplyDeletesounds like you're in a real good place, Jo.
I know I do love reading your blog :)
I can and I will. I like that positive affirmation. I may borrow it.