The most important:
1) Drink so much water that urine is clear.
2) Reduced Salt Diet. No more than 2300 mg of salt a day. (VERY difficult and I'm not a salter!)
3) Drink lots of lemonade. (yuck, but I'll put Real Lemon in my water.)
In the info I was given:
drink 8-10 ounces of liquid each hour you are awake
drink more when exercising, when it's hot or when ill
water is best to drink between meals
drink milk with food, especially high oxalate food
1200 mg of calcium a day--good choices:
milk, yogurt, pudding, low fat and nonfat ice cream, and swiss, cheddar and mozzarella cheese
No more than 100 mg oxalate per day--this is the toughie!
Aviod:
grapefruit juice
tea
beets
beet greens
spinach
swiss chard
rhubarb
star fruit
All Bran (I eat this daily!!!--correction, I used to eat it daily)
buckwheat flour
granola
soy milk, any variety
almonds (I eat these daily for heart healthy fat!)
mixed nuts
sesame seeds
tahini
There's a list of medium-oxalate foods with the limited amounts I can eat. Includes all my favorite beans, sweet potato, tomato paste, fruits, bran cereals, soy products, nuts and....CHOCOLATE
Only 3 ounces of meat, chicken or fish twice daily. HORROR!
High fructose corn syrup increases the risk for developing kidney stones.
~~~~~
Okay, so it doesn't look that bad on paper (or screen) but when I stop and consider I am picky when it comes to veggies, it's not that easy. Plus, I'm trying to do a heart healthy diet and the two don't go together too well. What's good for the heart isn't necessarily good for the kidneys.
Further research on the Internet gives more highly restricted lists. The no-eat foods on this list have the same oxalate value as many foods that I love that did not make the list. I'm only allowed 100 mg oxalate a day...well, this may turn into the starvation diet.
It's scary as hell to me. The 3-ounce meat rule? Well, I usually eat 5-6 ounces of meat, chicken or fish at a time, so it's almost cut in half. Protein fills me, and that's going to be tough.
I was okay with the info the doctor gave me, but when I started researching oxalate levels in other foods, I had a major freak out. I cried well into the night last night. I've cried many times today. I've also become very angry. Did I do this to myself with my poor choices for all these years? It is what it is, and I'm not happy right now, but there's nothing to do but comply, figure things out, find new normals and bitch and moan about it along the way.
I think that this diet change will probably be one of the most difficult changes I've ever had to make IN MY LIFE. Sounds silly, but I'm a picky eater. And all those foods I hate are foods I will have to embrace. DAMN
This is going to take awhile to get under control. Today I'm already at 1600 mg of sodium and that's just with breakfast and lunch, and I'm allowed 2300. Holy moly, I'll be over.
I have ordered a low oxalate cookbook. (I'll probably gag at every recipe in it. That's the whiner in me being honest. lol)
My body pH is all messed up, I am forming these crystals, I can't help but wonder....could this be a reason why my weight has been SOOO slow at coming off? My chemistry is off.
I'll get there. I'm doing my best, learning, figuring it out. (With a poor attitude, I admit.) I'll get it down, because GOOD HEALTH IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN chocolate or bran flakes or beans or 6 ounces of meat or almonds....
walnuts. I love them in my salads which I use romaine lettuce. and tomatoes....probably loaded with oxilates???sp.???I will go look.
ReplyDeleteI know you will figure this out, but I feel you...protein is my go to as well. This would p me off.
hugs, and hang in there.
I had 2 huge kidney stones (one was 30mm) that I had to have a stent and lithotripsy for. I was left with 2 very small fragments left after 2mm and 3mm. In 5 yrs they have grown to 4mm and 6mm. That's with me drinking an average of 3-4 quarts of water a day. Other than that I haven't really changed a lot. I eat as healthy as I can but do tend to eat quite a bit of protein and I'm sure that's helped my stones grow. But generally if stones aren't passed and fragments are left they will grow again over time. With my own situation I believe the stones were more genetic since both my sisters have issues with them also though obesity can play a role too. I just try to take it day by day. Don't let it stress you out to much. Do the best you can but don't let it torture you. At least now you are free of the pain.
ReplyDeleteKeep your head up! I know it sucks at first, but you'll get used to the changes and more than likely embrace them. Even with just regular diet, i've started eating stuff I NEVER would have eaten before... and I enjoy it! I'm proud of myself, and people are seeing results and it just thrills me. :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work!
The diet sounds hard because it restricts or eliminates lots of things I really like such as beans, sweet potatoes, tea, nuts and spinach. A big change like that takes adjusting mentally and physically. Wishing you much good luck with this and good health!
ReplyDeleteLove your 2011 motto. I need to remember that "slow and steady wins the race" :)
ReplyDeleteJust focus on the positives! you can slowly get back to working out, hopefully still eat some of the things you love and who knows maybe you will find some weird food that you thought you hated will taste amazing!
ReplyDeleteI've had both Uric Acid and Calcium stones - about a dozen in total! The key is LOTS of water, no gravies or sauces, and reduced red meats. Also, the dr may put you on a pill called allipurinol. I've been on that for months and haven't had gout or another stone since.
ReplyDelete