A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

2.02.2011

Goodbye Stent!

Well, it's gone, that nasty stent.

I was scared to death for this appointment. I was scared it was going to hurt. My fears were unfounded. It did not hurt and I was very surprised that it took seconds. The doctor said take a deep breath and when you blow out, out comes the stent. It was fast and easy.

It was long, over a foot long, and dark green. It looked like some kind of electrical wire. I was so glad to have it gone.

Took a big pain pill when I got home and I'm glad I did as my kidney was talking to me through that medication.

The bad news: There is still a stone in my right kidney.

The worse news: My diet has to change drastically. That is being saved for another post. It's complicated, and it's overwhelming.


I'm to drink lots of water. He told me that rather than drinking X amount of water, the true test is how much urine you produce. Everyone should produce two quarts of urine a day. That said, no one measures their output. So, the thing to look for is clear urine, so clean that you can read a newspaper through it.

He wants me drinking lots of water and lemonade. I don't like lemonade, plus I don't want the calories or the sugar. I do, however, put lots of Real Lemon in my drinking water. That will have to do. Lemonade is gross to me, always has been.

My stone is mixed calcification, whatever that means. I have to go back in six weeks. I have to collect all my potty for a period of 24 hours and keep it in the fridge! (OH, Gross!!!) Then it gets tested. Then I see the doc again and will get further diet restrictions/advice. The doctor thinks that I may have had a kidney infection along the line somewhere, thus that mixed calcification. That's kind of scary.

So I am SOOOO happy to be rid of the stent. I can start exercising as I feel comfortable. In fact, I did walk one mile with Leslie tonight, but I took it very easy, didn't do knee lifts and barely lifted my feet off the ground. I want to heal.

However, while I'm happy, I am also freaking about about my diet. I'll follow what they gave me but I have questions. I think in six weeks, I will have a book of questions. It would be nice to see a dietitian/nutritionist because I am very concerned over heart health and some things I do for that, such as almonds daily, I am not allowed.

So while it was supposed to be a joyous day, I'm feeling a bit blue over the diet bit. I'll post more about it tomorrow when I've thought through it more.

It's done, though. Thankfully.

5 comments:

  1. oy, I hope you can find enough substitutes to make it work...I know protein keeps me full. I will be interested to see what you do to make it work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo I'm glad the stint is out. I'm hoping they will be able to laser the other stone and it come out. You of all people (bloggers) I know can make this work. You are just amazing. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that it is out and you are on your way to healing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad you ditched the stint!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting the stint removed, sorry it didn't come with all good news, hopifully you can manage the diet and the slight weirdness of having pee in your fridge. My husband works in the lab and has to collect weirder things then pee maybe think of it as being a lab assistant for awhile.

    ReplyDelete