Awhile back, hubby share an email with me from our insurance. We have a program we can join that reduces the cost of gym memberships. At the time I couldn't have cared less as I was in the throes of kidney stone pain. Today I checked it out--online.
There are three gyms in my small town. A Curves, a private gym, and a national chain. I was a member of Curves when they opened eons ago. Hated it. Felt like a mouse in a wheel, only it was a human in a circle. I never saw any improvement in my body, any muscle growth at all. The worst part were the members were *obnoxious*. There were a few bouncy gals who were pushing you to move and move now when it was time to switch stations. These were the same gals going crazy on the aerobics pads, going all over the place and getting into my and everyone else's space.
The day I quit, though, was after I had asked the manager to please not spray cleaning solution on the machines while I was working out. It burned my nose and I didn't want to be breathing that. She agreed, and the next day she started spraying that stuff to clean the machines off and I walked out the door never to return. (It really did burn my nose.)
Curves is out.
So I was thinking about a gym membership for two reasons only. 1) Treadmill 2) Socialization Then I started thinking back to my socialization at Curves. There wasn't any because people were busy working out or if they came with friends, they only chatted with their friends. And face it, if I'm walking, and heaven forbid, trying to run!, on a treadmill, I'm not going to be chatting--I'm going to be in my zone with my iPod jamming away. It's not really a social thing.
As for the treadmill: That is the one piece of equipment I would love to own. I do my own weights and tough cardio, but I do enjoy walking. It's cold here, north country cold, and it would be nice in the winter to have a treadmill. Mall walking stinks, walking DVDs stink. We don't have room in our house for a treadmill. We don't really have the money, either, because hubby would insist on the top of the line which would be more expensive because he's tall and would need the longer stride model.
$32 a month plus a $45 activation fee. In the end, I decided against it. There just aren't enough positives. It's almost warm out there, I can get out and walk as soon as the ice is melted from the streets and sidewalks. I can do a lot with $32 a month--like buy more exercise DVDs. lol Seriously, I can find better ways to spend my money. Walking is free. If I'm that desperate to walk, I can drive to the mall and walk there.
Penny saved, penny earned. I'm just not a gym rat.
My gym if 'free'...the perks of being retired military. I love it, especially in the winter...but if you would use a treadmill, take the money you would have spent on gym membership and put it towards a fund for a good treadmill...
ReplyDeleteI loathe treadmills....I call them dread mills. I would rather do a stairstepper. It's that bad.
HOpe you get a treadmill...and in any case, summer is on it's way.
I enjoyed your post as you went through all your options and made the right decision for you. I had a good experience at my first Curves and bad at the next. They are too expensive for what they are and BORING doesn't begin to describe the exercise. Sad but true.
ReplyDeleteI don't care for gyms myself either. All I can think about is how dirty it must be! All that sweat...gross. LOL
ReplyDeleteIdk why but something about curves doesnt do it for me. I like to listen to my music and zone out. Or push myself on the elliptical. But everyone was a different workout style.
ReplyDeleteI used to belong to the Y and a the time it worked for me & I really enjoyed the classes. Now, I would never go back- I like the social aspect of it, but in reality I am not social so it wouldnt matter LOL. I love my dvds, they are just as fun and more effective than gym classes IMO. Especially the strength work- I could never get the right dumbbells & a large enough variety at the gym. Id go to a class on a free pass though :)
ReplyDeleteI actually belong to two gyms - one near my office that's just $25 a month for me (I get the town discount since my office is in the town) and then a family (3 people) membership for a deluxe gym that's $115 a month - but it has a pool, state of the art equipment and tons of classes.
ReplyDeleteWhen I just had our taxes done, I mentioned that my husband was having surgery for colon cancer - she said "will the doctor want him to exercise as part of his recovery?" Which I said yes. Then she asked if he would be on a special diet, to which I replied yes, and she said "get your doctor to write a prescription for cardio and a special diet, and we can deduct all of your gym membership and part of your groceries next year."
How cool is that?!
I looked at Planet Fitness just 2 days ago. $65 startup, $39 annual fee every October and $10 a month. I like the idea of and elipticle, but decided not. I am not that into a gym.
ReplyDeleteJust to let you know if you REALLY want a treadmill and money is the issue..Let me tell you those suckers are not cheap and who has $600 plus to shell out on gym equipment..But I too wanted one..So I knew that QVC and HSN took DEBIT not CREDIT.. So there is no interest!But they do take credit too.. Now of course it has to be a VISA or Mastercard. You cant just use any bank card.. You know what I mean.. Anyways.. They have really nice treadmills and they have them on flex pay meaning that you make payments on them. You go online and choose the one that you want. If it is on Flex pay it will say Flex pay..It will say it is on 4 flex pay or 5 flex pay. Then you just make an account and if you want to just pay in 3 you can you would just choose 3 instead of the 4 or 5. But if it says that it is on 4 flex it does not go any higher. The best part is they deliver it right away. You dont have to wait till it is paid off! So as soon as you pick it out and enter your card number they deliver it. Then once a month they will take the predetermined amount from your bank account with NO INTREST!!! I bought my treadmill this way! I have gotten a camera,vaccum cleaner and a shaver for my husband. I always make sure one thing is paid off before I buy somthing else. camera I bought one year for christmas. Then another christmas I bought Jack the shaver..etc
ReplyDeleteIt is a great way to buy exspensive items and make payments on them and not have to use a credit card and worry about interest payments and all of that!!!
So I hope this helps you out!
The treadmill that I got was selling on the name brands website ON SALE for DOUBLE what I paid for it! Can you believe that!
If you have any questions about their process or anything just let me know. A lot of people think that QVC and HSN are crapy shopping sites. Back in the day they were but these days they sell name brand just like any other site.It is a hidden gem!