I can't even remember what question I asked this time, but I hit a jackpot of useful information regarding my kidney stone diet.
According to the National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse,
How does oxalate in the diet affect kidney stone formation?
Some of the oxalate in urine is made by the body. But eating certain foods with high levels of oxalate can increase the amount of oxalate in the urine, where it combines with calcium to form calcium oxalate stones.
This, I knew.
How can a person limit oxalate in the urine?
Many foods and beverages contain oxalate, but only a few have been shown to increase the amount of oxalate in urine:
Avoiding these foods may help reduce the amount of oxalate in the urine.
- spinach
- rhubarb
- nuts
- wheat bran
This is new to me, the part that says only a few have been shown to increase the amount of oxalate in the urine. That is HUGE. A lot of my favorite foods that I had to give up are NOT on this list! I am so hopeful that I can eat beans again! Other things, too!
It looks like I will never be able to add nuts back, although several of the websites specifically mentioned peanuts and almonds as the two nuts that were on a similar but expanded list. I am so hopeful.
So my plan is to continue as the doctor ordered, but when I see him the next time, I'm definitely going to ask about this! Plus, I'm going to research further and see if I can find the research/studies online. It helps to read the actual studies because sometimes they can be misleading. They're difficult to read for a lay person like me, but I muddle through them.
This makes me hopeful, very hopeful, especially since my bladder has been rumbling all day today. It cramps and rumbles and flutters. Something is going on. I've been drinking tons of water, but I'm worried that remaining kidney stone is making an appearance. It has done this before and then gone away, so hopefully it will go away again. I do hate having that hanging over my head, though, knowing there will soon be the intense pain.
But again, very hopeful I can expand my diet more. The diet restrictions have been extremely difficult to accept. I have my fingers crossed!
Keeping my fingers crossed with you! Very hopeful news. I just hate that you are going through all of this. Hang in there!
ReplyDeleteHey Jo. I hope you can get some of your foods back. you know doctors...they throw in everything plus the kitchen sink. At least you kept looking and now have given yourself more options.
ReplyDeleteKeeping positive thoughts for you.
ReplyDeleteYep - fingers crossed for you, too!
ReplyDeleteSince peanuts are technically a legume
and not a nut....there might be hope!
Well, scratch that-
ReplyDeleteDoctor Google said there might be a ton of
oxalates in peanuts.
Still, fingers crossed that you find something you can live with
and not feel deprived!
hope your feeling better and are finding new options everyday!
ReplyDeletehttp://beboldrunwild.blogspot.com/
Oh no! I just gave my father a rhubarb pie.
ReplyDeleteI hope you are feeling better this week :)