A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

5.25.2011

Instant Gratification

I think society is set up for instant gratification. We don't like to wait for anything, we want it now. Want a new song? Log on, go to iTunes, ta da, it's there. Want to snuggle up with a good book? Buy yourself a Kindle, turn your Kindle on, buy the book you want and you're all set.

It works that way with health and weight loss, too. We want it now. We want that weight to fall off immediately. We want Biggest Loser-type results. Fast. Now.

For me, that extends to food. I don't like to cook. That may be why going out to eat was at one point a big part of our lives. It was easier to get in the car, go through the drive through, bring it home and have supper than it was to cook. Silly because we could have prepared a nutritious meal in the same period of time, but it was just easier to get in that car.

We don't do that anymore. Sometimes we go to Subway, but I have to be super careful there now because of sodium content. Lunch meat is notoriously high in sodium. I really have to plan for it.

I think one of the reasons I've struggled with my kidney stone prevention diet is that instantly, many of my favorite foods were taken away like a rug is yanked from under one's feet. I no longer had that instant gratification of going into the kitchen knowing that I could prepare what I was to eat almost effortlessly. I brooded. I moped around, I was depressed. My depression had many causes, that was just one part.

Now as that cloud has blown away, I'm left trying to find new instant gratification. I am still struggling. I don't know what to eat. Trying to get my healthy monounsaturated fats, a blogging friend suggested macadamia nuts. They were lower in oxalate, much lower. I've tried them, I've tried a couple different brand. I just don't like them. So that pretty much leaves me with olive oil. You can only take so much olive oil.

My breakfasts are still a struggle. One of the few processed foods I was eating was high fiber cereal and it's on the no-no list. I've played around with other cereals, but they have NO nutritional value, no fiber, and they make me crave more. Bad carbs, bad food choice for me.

It's a struggle. I am so hopeful to find my groove, to find my new niche. I want it fast, I want it easy, and I want it palatable. I'm not having much luck.

Someone suggested to me that I was being immature and a baby about all of this. I needed to grow up, and eat what was healthy for my body. Then she went over what she thought I needed. Most of the foods she eats and was trying to get me to eat were very high in oxalate and on my no list, plus she eats a lot of meat and couldn't comprehend that I am only allowed meat (fish, beef, poultry) twice a day with three ounce portions. If she had to do what I'm faced with, she'd be pretty miserable, too.

I was talking to another friend this week and she said that it she thought it was easier to follow her diabetic diet than mine. We both decided it would be wonderful if we were given a list of what all you could eat and go from there. It doesn't work that way.

I'm no cook, I'm not creative in the kitchen, and I do struggle. I'm hungry. I want to fuel my body, I want nutritious foods. So I think this will take me awhile. At this stage I'm over the anger, and over my "immature and baby attitude" that I was told I had. (I may have been immature and had a childish attitude, but I own that--it was very hard for me. If I had a healthy relationship with food to begin with, it wouldn't have been so difficult. I don't have a healthy relationship with food and everything healthful I was trying to do turned out to be bad for my body, not society in general.)

15% protein (two 3-ounce servings of meat daily)
40% fat
45% carbs
2300 mg sodium
1200 mg calcium daily
8-10 oz. water each hour

The protein/fat/carbs is my concoction. It's mixing the low-protein needs of the KS diet with the lower carb needs of my metabolic disorder.

Looks easy, but when you drop your carbs and up the fat, you're getting a lot less volume. Less bang for the buck. That's why I'm hungry.

So I'm working on it. I'm looking for new foods, I'm looking for fresh ideas. My eye is on the prize. I just love getting thrown curve balls. That's why I'm The Tortoise--it's slow, but damn it, I'm so stubborn, I will get there.

5 comments:

  1. Amen sista! It seems like it's watching paint dry sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a challenge - I'd be throwing baby fits too. But eventually acceptance is necessary I guess, so I'm glad you're to that point and I hope for your success.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember your first post about your new diet which sounded more like a lack of anything to eat. I tried looking for a diet online and could only find sketchy information. It seems you are exploring new territory and have no way of knowing what is going to be around the next bend. When you get this worked out, you can be THE expert and write a book and get rich! I hope you can work out a good eating plan that you don't hate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's half the reason I do the drive thru thing, when I do I. I want it now. I don't even want to wait for the food to cook. Plus I'm not a good cook. There's asolution for that. Practice. It always come back to me. ME and the work I have to do. Nobody can do it for me. DAMN IT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, you will get there. You can do this.

    A couple of tricks I have is chopping up a bunch of lettuce, grating some carrots in it, and then putting it in a tuppeware type container. I also open a can of beets and maybe some garbanzo or chick peas and put those in containers. When I am hungry-I reach for these items and make a kick salad. Fills me up.

    I also have been buying Joseph's pita bread (Flax and whole wheat)~low in calories and delicious. No sure of salt content.

    I also love fresh fruit-grapes and strawberries. Again I prepare these ahead of time-so it is a grab and reach when I am hungry.

    You will get there. I am slow and steady too.

    ReplyDelete