I do swear in real life. I can't bring myself to put the "i" in, though.
I've been reading, again, about metabolic disorder--metabolic syndrome, Syndrome X, prediabetes, insulin resistance--basically it's all the same thing. Well, insulin resistance is a component of metabolic syndrome.
It scares the crap out of me. It is a time bomb just waiting to go off.
The "diet" most prescribed for this is the Mediterranean Diet. The bad thing is that can be carb rich, and basically if you have Metabolic Syndrome, it's kind of like you're allergic to carbs. You have to eat the complex carbs and NO junk, simple or processed carb stuff.
I've read so many books on the subject. Exercise is crucial in helping with insulin resistance, diet is imperative. The thing that's tough for me is my protein has to be really low with the kidney issue. Speaking of kidneys, I learned just today that kidney stones/problems with kidneys is a big thing with Metabolic Syndrome. People with Metabolic Syndrome have high levels of uric acid. Which came first, the chicken or the egg? They don't know if it's the high uric acid levels that cause the syndrome or if the syndrome causes the high uric acid.
What have I done to my body over all these years?
Anyway, I'm trying to get on with life and get my "diet" (what I eat, not necessarily a die-t) lined up. Restrictions here, restrictions there. Carbs are filling. When you up the fat, you are missing volume in your diet that once was (at least for me) carbs. So I'm hungry a lot. A LOT.
Trying hard to get this squared away. Making food lists of things I can have. Reading, researching, figuring it all out.
It gives me a headache.
No exercise today, but I did break 14,000 steps. I worked around the house all day and then when it was time to work out, my stomach was upset, I felt feverish and I just decided that I need to rest. BIG no-no, because I need at least 30 minutes of cardio a day for this insulin resistance thing--but I'm going to fall back on my busy-ness of the day and my 14,000 steps just this once. I've been feeling sickly all night.
Anyway, the implications of this Metabolic Syndrome scare me so bad. I guess I realized today that it is a huge battle that I will fight the rest of my life. Can it be cured? I don't know the answer to that, but it can be controlled. I've made a huge dent already. My lipids are better, I exercise, my blood sugar is normal, blood pressure...but I have the kidney thing, and I still meet the qualifications for this syndrome. So I have a heck of a lot of work ahead of me.
I like to read actual studies and that takes me awhile because I do not have a medical education. It's fascinating and scary at the same time. No one can accuse me of being uninformed on the matter.
Time bomb, waiting to go off. Quality of life is worth the battle. Game on.
oy jo. just reading it made me tired. It is a tough struggle. Keep up all your hard work.
ReplyDeleteWhen you are upping the fat, are you really up the fat enough? If you are eat 50% or more fat per day, it really should be keeping you more full, especially if you have it with every meal.
ReplyDeleteok... a few things. First - Look how far you have come!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd second- you can't unring a bell. What we have donr to ourselves in the past we can not change. It's done. All we can do is move forward to a heathy life NOW.
You are doing awesome! Keep moving forward - don't look back!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin
Lori is right. I am insulin resistant. Diabetic. If you up the fat enough, you will feel full longer and shouldn't feel hungry. Another thing, feeling sick will pass. Your body is going through withdrawals from all the carbs. It will adjust and you will feel better than you have in a long time. Increase the fat a bit more and hang in there. I feel your pain. Just please know it will pass. :)
ReplyDeleteWow Jo. . . I admire you TREMENDOUSLY. I think you are taking charge and doing just what you should be doing. Good for you!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your new eating plan.