A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

6.23.2011

I'm DONE.

I did the 24-hour urine test. I just got back from delivering it to the hospital lab.

I hated, hated, hated doing this. I was in a foul mood all day yesterday.

1) What brainiac designed the toilet insert to collect the urine??? It has a tiny indentation to pour--only it doesn't work. The "liquid" does not stay in the indentation, it pours all over the sides. Mess, disgusting mess. I ended up using a disposable cup to collect so I didn't spill. And yes, I did spill and it ran down the outside of the collection container. OY.

2) What brainiac developed the container to store the "liquid"? It was so cheap, the lid didn't fit well. It was too tall to fit in my fridge, so I had to put it in at an angle, then stand it upright. Okay, do you see a problem here? Lid didn't fit/tip to get it in the fridge?

Yes, I spilled a tiny bit of urine in my fridge. Yes, I had a major meltdown over that. I was livid. Yes, I thoroughly sanitized my fridge, bitching the whole time.

That was absolutely revolting to me--plus you could smell urine in the fridge. I'm halfway tempted to throw out all our food; however, everything is sealed so it should be good, plus I intentionally timed this so there wasn't much in the fridge. Nothing got wet, except the paper towels that were on top of the plastic lining that I was storing the jug on. Gross, gross, gross.

3) I refuse to do this again. Ever. I know it's just pee, but it was one of the most disgusting, grossest things I've ever done. Never again. And I know darned well I will be doing it again. But I reserve the right to bitch whenever I feel like it--which is now.

I'm actually in a better mood today and trying to make fun of myself with this post. I was not happy yesterday and emailed my husband to let him know to stay far away from me. He was actually very supportive and didn't get on my last nerve when he got home, thankfully. He thought it was gross, too, and he could smell it.

Oh, and another thing--I had to run to the lab yesterday afternoon to get a second container. I drink 8-10 ounces of water an hour, per doctor's orders. They gave me a jug that holds about a half gallon of liquid. Um, that container was not big enough for the amount of water I drink. Next time I have to do this, and I refuse to ever do it again, I'm demanding two jugs from the get go. But I'm never doing it again.

Yup. I'm a baby. It's no big deal in the scheme of things, but it really repulses me, the thought of urine in my fridge where we keep our food. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

Thanks for allowing me to bitch. It's out of my system and now I can move on with things. It wasn't that bad, really. (Yes it was, it was awful.) It was just a pain to have to stay home all day by the toilet/fridge. Eww. Toilet and fridge should never be used in the same sentence. Ever.

Trying to be goofy and find my sense of humor.

Speaking of sense of humor, I found the funniest blog! It's got adult language, but last night a friend posted a link to it and I laughed so hard I cried. I want a big metal chicken. Here's the blog, and specifically the post that had me roaring.

11 comments:

  1. Ewww...you would think with all the technology these days there would be a better, easier, more sanitary way of doing that. Good thing you didn't have to give them a stool sample. Glad you got it over with and you will never, ever have to do it again (until the next time).

    Going to check out that blog, I could use another good laugh. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So why do they need so much urine do you know? I have kidney stones and they have never done a full day of urine test with me. I am at a point where I need lithotripsy again to bust up the 2 stones I have. I've just come to realize I'll probably have to do this every 5-6 yrs. I feel like I eat well but I can't say I worry to much about what I eat if it's healthy. Maybe that's a wrong way to be but from what I've read staghorn kidney stones are pretty hard to get totally rid of it. It/they stay in the kidney and over time will slowly grow again. It doesn't cause me pain but does cause me slight kidney infections the past year and make my urine smell TERRIBLE. So I do know it's time to do something about them again. I do make sure I drink a ton of water and that does seem to help. Anyway, enough of my rambling, I do feel your pain with this but you are right you just have to find the humor in it and try not to let it stress you out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you sound "pissed!"
    lol Jo - it gets better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave has to do poop samples for a colonoscopy. Yuck, yuck and triple yuck!

    Hang in there Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ick! Sorry you had to deal with this!
    Just an FYI... I learned from my mother in law that if you put a small cup of plain white vinegar in your refrigerator for a few hours (or overnight) it will eliminate all odors. Might help clear the smell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope, for your sake...you are never in an earthquake whereupon you are forced to drink your urine to survive. Just think on that one for a while. lololol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least you got through it and can relax a bit. I loved the post about the big metal chicken. I'm in a motel for two days and wondered if anyone could hear me laughing. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it makes you feel better.. urine is sterile unless you have a bladder or kidney infection.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  9. I will check out that blog. Thanks for sharing it. Glad you made it through that pee brained test!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the laughs!! I'm sure glad I haven't had to take that test...yet.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Weight loss. How to diet. Get the motivation you need and more.
    https://amzn.com/B01KW6AB3M

    ReplyDelete