A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

6.26.2011

Meltdown

I'm having a meltdown tonight.

I'm very stressed out. Over extended family issues, over life in general, over a hurt from my best friend. Sometimes I feel as if the life is just being squeezed out of me.

Sometimes I feel like an inherent failure, like everything I touch turns to--well, the opposite of gold. Stinking thinking.

My best friend told me on the phone tonight that she would not stand up for me in a certain situation. It's a situation where if the table was turned, I would absolutely stand up for her. After we hung up, I was just in tears. I would never, ever do that to her. I'm also frustrated that for years, I've been the one to call her weekly (we don't live in the same town) and when I get down and out, when I was so depressed, six weeks passed before she bothered to call here. Now I could have picked up the phone, so I will own that, but what kind of friend does not reach out when she knows you're hurting.

I have many stresses right now I'm dealing with. I just feel blah, like I'm going to crack.

Sh*t happens. Life isn't always pretty. It's inevitable. How we handle it defines our character. I think. Marching on, carrying forward, trying so hard to figure things out.

I told my son tonight I don't want to be the best at anything, I only want to be MY best. Why do I feel like I fail at that sometimes? Because it's inevitable, those kinds of feelings happen. I know I'm no failure, no loser. Just not enjoying the times when I'm in that negative mode.

My depression is so much better, I'm still not 100%, but I think many of the things I'm eluding to here are the underlying cause of my woes. I think they're surfacing because I need to deal with them once and for all.

Weight loss is mostly mental. It really is. Frame of mind is where it's at. My frame of mind hasn't been in the right place for weight loss for a long time. Just when I get going again, start up that exercising again, watching food really close, my body decides that it still loves being fat and doesn't want to budge an ounce. I find that frustrating, too.

So many stresses. We took a family walk this morning and then I ran on the rebounder this afternoon. Still didn't alleviate my stress today. I need to find a better way to relax, to enjoy, to find some peace.

I let stinking thinking get to me way to often. Hurt feelings are hard for me to deal with. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me. Frankly, broken bones heal but sometimes the wounds caused from words run so deep they never heal. I think that phrase is phooy.

Anyway, I just needed to free write tonight, just get my random, crazy thoughts out there to relieve some stress. And it helped a bit. For now. I can't fix the world, but I can fix me.

Bottom line is this: Tonight, I'm hurting. Tomorrow will be better.

7 comments:

  1. Jo,

    I'm so sorry...I wish you were here and I would/could give you a great big hug..

    Depression SUCKS the life out of you..Been there still fighting that..LOL...

    Just never give up..Promise me Jo..Never give up..I gave up and let everyone, everything around me win..And now you see the other side of that don't ya??

    I think of you everyday..My prayers are with you.

    Love
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry you are hurting right now. One sided relationships are so hard to deal with. We don't want to let go, but once we come to the realization that we are doing all the work, it should be a consideration. Anyway, you are a strong, powerful woman to continue on when everything around you tells you to quit. YOU can persevere! YOU will make it! YOU WILL conquer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there Jo. I agree with you that words can hurt. My husband never seems to care what is said to him or about him. Maybe that's another difference in men and women? I just know I wish I had a thicker hide. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jo...I believe there are some of us who are just more sensitive than others. Of course, most of us sensitive folk tend to suffer from "depression." The way I look at it is you can't know what the highest highs feel like without also knowing the lowest lows. If you don't know pain, how can you possibly know the joy of being pain-free? Know what I mean? Anyway, those of us who are more sensitive also (seemingly) tend to be the more caring partner in a friendship (well, at least that's my experience). It's not that your friend doesn't care, it's just that she might not be as perceptive or sensitive to your needs....just because she can't be. Hundreds of people call me "friend" and feel very close to me. I only feel close to two friends. Why? I listen to people. I watch people. I'm sensitive and can just "feel" when a person needs a smile, a hug, to cry, etc. Yet, I can talk daily to people for YEARS and they have no idea when I need a hug or a smile, etc. They don't even have a clue what's important to me...they don't know ME! Why is that? I guess some of us are just wired differently. All you can do is be your best YOU.

    I'm sending a heaping crapload of love, smiles, hugs, and pretty whatnots your way! I'm sure it's all just oozing out of your computer as I type this. Sorry for the mess. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hang in there jo! have you tried any one on one counseling. not full out therapy but maybe somebody to bounce your thoughts off of and they can give CONSTRUCTIVE feedback! my therapist was like this and it was a major help in my thinking. i had to do work on my own and accept some things i particularly didn't like, but once i pushed passed it became easier. we all still have our down moments and i think these tools might make it more bearable to get through.

    *HUGS*

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are weird. That's the bottom line. And selfish. I am sorry the your friend hurt your feelings. 6 weeks is along time to not call or anything. Especially if she knew you didn't feel well. It's hard to make friends when you get older. I think I would start looking around for a new one. Not that you should let the other friend go. You just need someone in your corner. Know that I am. Wish I could be there to back you up :)

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope things get better soon. It's so hard dealing with one hurt after another. Try to stay positive and look for all the good things in your life. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete