A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.26.2009

A Little Rant

I am trying to be so focused on positive, but when something bugs me I think it's good to get it off my chest. So I'm going to have a little rant.

I've mentioned my best friend before. She is a gal who loves the Atkins/Low-Carb style, but never loses any weight. She also believes every person should eat whole-fat foods: whole milk, yogurt, butter, etc. She uses all the bad oils in her cooking. She doesn't believe in the concept of calories.

That's all fine for her, it's her life, and she has to do what fits her life. The preaching gets on my nerves, though.

So last night she was talking about being in a medical facility cafeteria visiting someone. She went to get lunch and was very upset that they only had low-fat yogurt, because it's so unhealthy. She ranted about medical facilities should know better than to serve anything low fat. According to her, they (whomever they is) have proved that low-fat diets don't work. Cough, cough, ahem.

I just ignore this stuff and try to change the subject.

We were talking about medial issues and she made a comment about my anxiety. Remember those pills they gave you last year that you thought you needed? The pills for your anxiety? You've sure proven them wrong, haven't you? You don't need those, no one does.

My mouth hung open. I told her I had just taken one the other night. She ignored me and went on and on about anxiety being over diagnosed and that it was all in my head.

Oy.

~~~~

Just sharing this helps me. It was amazing she made the anxiety comments. She knows full well I still take Xanax. Granted, I don't take them often, but since my massive panic attack, I've had monthly mild panic attacks and I DO take the pills.

My frustration is that I just cannot talk about anything health related with her at all and that she doesn't LISTEN to me. While I will never convince her that saturated fat is bad, I don't try anymore. She's certainly entitled to her own opinion. I just find the whole thing perplexing.

~~~~

This person is related to me, but not a sibling. We do not live in the same town, but talk on the weekly. I haven't gone to see her for awhile because the last time we were together, we had a blast, but she nitpicked about the fact that I drank a lot of water. I couldn't take a sip without being lectured. It was annoying as hell. Anything relating to health, food intake--it just can't be discussed with her. For the record, I had a water in the morning and one in the afternoon--not a lot by any means. It was June and hot!

~~~~

Everyone has quirks, and this is hers. I hope that I am not that way with her, but I tend to have very good manners and mind my mouth. I might think something, but I never say it because it's unnecessary and frankly rude.

There, rant over. Just needed to get it off my chest.

Now I'll shout:

SATURATED FAT IS BAD FOR OUR BODIES!!! lol

12 comments:

  1. I used to have a "friend" like that. When I lost enough weight to be noticeable, but not anywhere remotely near goal, she would say things to me like, "You're not trying to lose more weight are you? You don't want to get too skinny." I was more than 350 pounds at the time! She had a slight weight problem, but nothing like me. I think some people are jealous of us when we are being healthy and looking better. They don't want us to look better than them. Or maybe they want to feel as if they are superior. I don't really know, but I am glad she is no longer a part of my life.

    PS My name on Richard's site is nvrgivup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aside from food/health stuff, she really is a wonderful friend. NObody's perfect, right? lol

    Her thing is superior intellect. She isn't that overweight, but could stand to lose 40-50, I think. She just has a thing about being smart and a critical thinker. And when she discovered a couple of books that taught a lifestyle she wanted, she became an expert on it.

    So it is superior intellect with her. She has to be the smartest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo, we will always come across people like this. If you still enjoy her company otherwise then maybe at some point you could tell her how you feel in a nice way. My sister is this way, says water is bad for ya and that whole milk is mandatory lol. With her, like your friend, I just try not to pay any attention. Always nice to be able to rant though sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, there are so many people that have some wacky ideas about diet and fitness and they do love to tell us about it. I just use the "agree to disagree" policy if they have shown they won't listen or learn.

    It is a shame that you cannot talk about health issues, though, with a good friend, thank goodness for those around you, who are more in your line of thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh I totally understand your frustration! UGH I have a friend just like that. We get along mighty well - when we don't talk about health related topics, that is; he considers himself an expert of some sort *when hello I speak with nutritionists and trainers almost everyday* and he just speaks from, what, "intuition"?? Grrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think everyone has a person like that in their lives. It's sad that you can't spend as much time with her. But I think in order for you to be sucessful that may be necessary. Sad but true. Keep up the hard work. You know it will pay off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like my cousin. She believes in the whole-fat foods...and while I disagree, I try to steer our conversations to different subjects because it seems like people who are swimming away from the accepted norm NEED to tell people how right they are. And really? I just don't feel like arguing with her about that.

    Good luck with your friend, and vent away...that's what YOUR blog is for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh! We must all know someone like this! My mom's family is like this - they believe in all these radical, sensational health ideas - they sound very similar to your friend.

    I just avoid talking to them. But I hate that I have to do that!

    I am happy the rant made you feel better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL OMG I know exactly what you mean. These people tend to do their "research" in women's magazines and online instead of professional journals, and if you showed them actual data from real studies and peer reviewed papers they almost 90% of the time can't reconcile reality with the evidence. People believe what they want to believe. It drives me stark raving bonkers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. :) Hope you feel better now. Even people we love in life can stress us out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Its good to rant. GET IT ALL OUT :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the first time I've heard that someone thinks water isn't good for them! Yikes.

    ReplyDelete