I just had a panic attack. I'm still shaking a bit.
I drove my son to his art class, and while driving I just had an overwhelming sense of doom. My heart started pounding, my gut felt weird, and I was scared to death I would keel over.
Keel over. More on that later.
I talked myself out of it, but I'm still shaking. I reminded myself nothing happens when I have these things, I'm always safe. Where it came from, I have no idea. I have felt kind of weird all day, though. I felt nauseous and tired.
This is not the first time this has happened to me while driving my son to art class. What is the connection?
I did not take a Xanax. I talked to myself out loud like an idiot the whole way home. Had it been bad, I would have pulled over. I would never endanger myself or others. It's just a weird, panicy feeling.
KEELING OVER
When I have these attacks, I always worry that I'll keel over. I know why I worry about that.
I watched my mom keel over and have a heart attack in 1993. We were sitting there visiting in her living room, boom, she was having what I thought was a diabetic seizure, but instead it was a heart attack. She never regained consciousness and she died a few days later. Her last words were, "Jo, something funny's going on."
Last March, I was sitting at my dad's kitchen table, and I looked up and he keeled over. Just sitting there visiting, then the next he was seizing. It was a heart attack. This time I knew what it was. With my son's help, we got him to the floor and I was starting CPR when the paramedics showed up.
Those visions are permanently etched in my mind. I think they're connected to my panic attacks.
Epilepsy also runs on my husband's side of the family. While I've only seen a few seizures in my years, it's the same thing: Boom, on the floor. They just keel over.
My sweet son was diagnosed with epilepsy last summer. He has never had a seizure, but he was having jerks similar to those you have when you fall asleep. The difference was that he was awake and upright. They are called myoclonic jerks. He had an EEG and was diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy. He is on medication which has stopped the jerks. His type of epilepsy is one of the most controllable types, thankfully. He could drop in a second, though, and have a seizure.
So with these admissions, I think I just saved myself $200 in a therapy session. I know why I fear what I fear--because I have seen it, lived it, and it is very likely I'll see it in my lifetime again.
Now I need to figure out how to quit being so scared of keeling over myself. I need to quit fearing that it will happen to my son.
That's the hard part.
The other thing I have to figure out is why I have these panic attacks out of the blue. My blood sugar may be low because I have not eaten much today because I was nauseous. That is a strong possibility. Otherwise, I'm clueless.
I know this: I hate this. I hate the feeling of losing control. I hate the fear that comes with a panic attack. I hate that it happens to me.
I'm sitting here all alone--well, with my doggies--but eagerly awaiting my husband's arrival home from work. His presence always makes everything better in my world.
That is so scary. Especially the part about your parents. I am happy you were able to get through it today.
ReplyDeleteWOW! I'd say you have experienced a lot of death... most of us experience the loss due to death... you've experienced death itself. WOW! Sadly, no matter our experiences, we have to find a way of coping; a way of getting past the experience so we can move on. That's the hard part; it's not necessarily the why... it's the how. I wish i had some profound insight... I don't. But... keep sharing to work it out... It can be free therapy for you :)
ReplyDeleteI can relate a bit. I too suffer from panic attacks. They started when I was in college and have become less over the years. I may only have one or two a year now. I also wonder what triggers them. Perhaps it does have to do with the terrible memories we hold or maybe it is the inability to control the future. Who knows. But we can get through it girl! You are stong, smart, and funny. You will make it. :)
ReplyDelete((HUGS)) I'm so sorry, sweety. You have really been through a lot. Could it be a post traumatic stress syndrome thing? I mean, that's a lot for one lady to go through!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you are doing better now. Just curious: do you go for checkups specifically for your heart?
Glad you are taking care of yourself and losing weight and getting in shape. :)
Now drink a glass of tea (or vodka LOL) and relax. You're ok and your family is ok. It's all good.
Good for you for being able to talk yourself through it. Being able to step outside the panic like that, and recognise it for what it is a significant acheivement.
ReplyDeleteWow Jo...what a burden to bear. To lose a parent is so hard, to watch it happen...I can not even imagine how that impacts your life. No wonder you are so motivated to be healthy and be here for your son. You were wondering earlier if the high starch dinner had caused your stomach issues. I know it use to do that to my husband, and now I am wondering if it affects your blood sugar enough to possibly help trigger the panic attacks as well? Just throwing it out there for consideration. But the main thing is you are ok, and I bet hubby is home and rubbing your feet or something like that! :-)
ReplyDeleteI go for yearly checkups. Last year in the hospital, I had many heart checks. Stress test, the fancy test with radioactive dye, CT scans of my chest. I have a healthy heart--unless, of course, something happened in the past year.
ReplyDeleteI am due for a checkup now. My son has an appointment wiht a new clinic in town in May, and I'm waiting to see if I like the doctor better. I like my doctor a lot, but he's part of the Mayo Clinic system and impossible to get into.
Patty, my dinner last night was the first thing that popped into my mind. Did that mess with the blood sugars enough to throw me in a panic attack. Hypogylcemia, which I've had for years, an cause panic attacks. So I am going to keep an eye on that.
My hubby isn't rubbing my feet, but he did make me a 3-egg omelet. I had points to use up and so he made the omelet with 2% sliced cheese. It was delicious. It was intentional to eat eggs, too, rather than carbs.
I did end up taking a Xanax. While I felt better, I did keep noticing my shoulders were next to my ears--very tense and stressed. So the Xanax has made me a bit loopy, but much more relaxed. That tension is very bad for the body, so I felt it best to bite the bullet.
Oh, and my hubby got home in time to make me drive to the art class. He did this with me the last time this happened. He rode with me, just to build my confidence up. I made it. The minute my son was in the car and we were on the way home, I felt complete, I felt better.
(((((jo))))))
ReplyDeleteHope you are feeling a bit better now.
Geez, with all that history, no wonder you have these! I hope you are feeling better - hang in there, Jo.
ReplyDeleteI get panic attacks too and have the same fear of fainting! I had seizures when I had bad pneumonia last year and they were scary but havent returned thank goodness. Both my parents died of heart-related issues which is why I am determined not to (well not yet anyway!).
ReplyDeleteWhen I get the attacks, I just want to get to the safety of home and my food cupboard, so maybe blood sugar levels has something to do with it. Carry a low-cal snack or drink and try that next time - I will too!
Hope you feel better now.
*major hugs* Hope you feel better for getting that out. It's great that you know where its coming from and that should help you work it out :D
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry to hear that you get panic attacks and for all that your family have experienced *hugs*
Bless your heart! BIG HUG...Sounds like you have had seen pretty harsh "keel overs". That would make anyone panic. I hate it when it happens to me. Glad you saved that $200...that's how I feel about blogging too. It has been so important to my overall health! Thanks for all your sweet comments on my blog. It is good to know I am not alone!
ReplyDelete