What a day.
Last night my period started. Sorry, to my male readers, but it's my blog, my issues and that pesky monthly Aunt Flo is an issue. Frankly, I have called it many things, but a period is a period. Let me tell you, they're definitely NOT happy.
Anyway, I knew that would mean today would be high-pain day. It was. I was also surprised because I had not had a panic or anxiety during PMS. I was hoping I'd make it through this time without. No such luck.
My son finished all of his standardized test and we are officially done with seventh grade! Woo-hoo. Boo-hoo. He's growing up too fast. I enjoy watching him mature, grow and become such a super young man, but I miss my baby, toddler, young boy, too. It just goes too fast.
After he finished testing, I gathered all the material to send back. That's when I started shaking. That's when the noise started bothering me. It's as if all the noise is magnified 100 times and I cannot hear myself think, nor can I concentrate. I think it took me about 10 minutes to double-check the list of four items that needed to be sent back. I was just flustered. I then had to gather some checks for deposit, three altogether, and that took me about ten minutes, too.
We hopped in the car and drove to the post office. Got that done, purchased new stamps because I missed that they went up and had to pay my postal carrier 13 cents last week that I was short. We then drove to the bank and I swear it took me five minutes to get the three checks out, and then find the deposit slip which was with the checks. The teller kept chatting with me..."How are you today? It's lovely out, isn't it?" (Small town teller boredom, I think.) I wanted to scream shut up I'm trying to think! lol
I found it bizarre. Driving? Fine, not a problem. Doing the minute tasks? Strange, difficult.
Then we drove to the library to return books. Son ran them in while I waited in the car. I wasn't in the mood to get new books. He came out, jumped in and started chattering. He does that from time to time, it's one of his sweet quirks. Right now he's chattering about astronomy and things I don't know about. His dad teaches him in this area. The noise of my sweet child, whom I love more than anything on the face of this earth, was about to send me over the top.
I looked at him and apologized, then asked him to please not talk to me until we get home. That is one of the worst feelings a mother can have--not coping in the moment to the point you have to ask your child to not talk. It makes me teary thinking about it.
This is just CRAZY.
Once we got home, I really started shaking, my breath was rapid and I was just a jittery mess. The dogs all barked when we came in, happy to see us. Son was playful with them and the noise increased. Even though I'm getting loves from my Pip and his brothers (he is a half brother to our other two boys), I just was a mess.
I picked up the phone, called hubby and asked when he was coming home. He asked me why and I said I'm having a Calgon moment. He laughed, understood, told me to take a Xanax, and he'd be home shortly.
I did. He was. I sat, did deep breathing, trying to relax. I was in awful pain all day, too. I needed to take a Motrin, but I chose Xanax--the anxiety was worse. When hubby got home, that sweet man gave me a back rub. He even used lotion, and he never does that. It helped tremendously.
When I got up, ta da, I was fine again. Back to normal.
Thank God for Xanax. And hubby.
I am so sick of this that I could just scream, though.
I have my physical on Monday. I did not think to call the office in time to inform them of my cycle. They normally don't do physicals during cycles. I'm going anyway. I can go back another time for the icky part.
I poked around my blog a bit and made a big list of what all I wanted to discuss. I am thankful that I blog about this stuff, because sometimes I forget it when I'm not experiencing it. I am going to print two copies of my list, one for the doc and one for me. I'm taking a Flair marker so that I can write and scribble notes while the doctor talks.
Top of the list that I want relief from:
periods anxiety leg swelling "the pain" -- that pain I get in my bowel
My list goes on. I wrote down everything I could think of. Blood sugar, lipids, hip pain, blah blah blah. At the very top of the list I wrote out my weight loss chart, my exercise chart....gotta start with the good stuff.
There are no guarantees in life, no guarantees about health. Bad things can happen to people at a moment's notice. But by golly, I am making small steps to better things. My small steps are turning into a great-big mountain. I'm trying to get healthy. That is my number 1 goal. I think the doctor will think I'm either anal, or she'll get that I'm dead serious about this. Hopefully the later, because that is the case.
I did not exercise today. The cramp pain was too bad, shooting down my legs even. I had planned on exercising when I got home from errands. Well, I was too panicky to do so. I remember the time that I was having anxiety and the workout alleviated it--but today I was too far gone to do it.
I hope and pray that I will be able to get some help at this visit. I'm going to ask about hypnotherapy, too. I'm going to ask a million questions.
The day was not lost. We got a lot done, and it was a milestone day: the last day of 7th grade. Yet it was tough emotionally for me. I'm sure my anxiety makes it tough on son, too.
The good thing is tomorrow I should be feeling much better.
I've heard that a lot of people find benefit from EFT, so you may want to look into that...
ReplyDeleteHope you feel better soon!
Xanax, Motrin, backrubs...winning combo. Back when my Auntie used to visit me, I'd take an Advil anyway, just when I saw her coming!
ReplyDeleteI'm really proud of you for taking control of your impending doctor's visit by making your lists - it sounds like you will finally get a lot of questions answered and hopefully some problems solved.
ReplyDeleteAs for the anxiety...that must be so hard to live with. Hugs to you for coping.
hey girl..tell son..I'm so proud of him..he must be on cloud nine..
ReplyDeleteand as for you, well i'm so proud of you for taking charge..don't take no for answer at the dr.'s get those questions answered. you have to advocate you for your health.
hugs
I hope you get some answers from your doc - you have so many symptoms! Be forceful and if you're not happy with his answers, I would find a second opinion. You should not have to suffer like that!
ReplyDeleteI know that must have been a really hard day, but Jo, you do seem like you are bouncing back faster and learning from those panicky times. I know I use to have them, although much milder than yours. I learned to ask for help before I reached the point of no return. And that is what you did, at least to some degree. Hormones seem to be a factor, but feeling overwhelmed and out of control seem to be the biggest triggers for most people. And you are taking control of the your health! I really believe in our gut, we know what is right for us. Listen to your doctor, but make sure you listen to your gut and do what is right for you.
ReplyDeleteThe emotional crazy-like PMS stuff? For me, it turned out to be a shifting hormonal imbalance. My Gyn tested for it (a simple blood test), and whoopee! I got a "Combipatch" and things changed within a couple of days.
ReplyDeleteOprah recently did a whole show on the subject too. Talk to your doctor until he/she listens. If you can't get him/her to listen, it's time to find another.
I went through several before I found Dr. R-. With him, I don't even have to explain myself. He believes me at first description. You deserve the same.
Laura
What you describe as anxiety or panic attacks, describes my sensory over load issues. I usually just go in my room for a few minutes, at least until I can get a grip on it. I should probably go back to taking Zoloft though!
ReplyDeleteI'm wondering if Evening Primrose Oil & Vitex would help with your pain. I had horrible cramps every other cycle & the Vitex kicked that right outta me.
Keep on, keepin on! You're doing great!!!
Great job on putting the list together. Telling the Dr. about ALL your symptoms is important because some of them be related and you may not realize it. Good luck with the appt. and looking forward to hearing what they say. (((Jo)))
ReplyDelete