To make mistakes is human. How we deal with our mistakes is very important.
One thing I'm working on this journey is to not be so darned hard on myself. I can really be my own worst critic. In the past, when I did something I regretted, I would turn inside myself and mentally beat myself up. I would get into stinking thinking, call myself stupid, and really be frustrated and upset for a long time--days or longer!
With that came food. I would eat to stuff my feelings, to hide my embarrassment. My choice would be Chips-Ahoy cookies, or the Keebler brand M&M cookies and a big, tall glass of milk. Or two. Eat, drink, eat drink, beat myself up, eat some more. A vicious circle. My son would have a few cookies, and I would polish off the rest. In one sitting.
I am learning to forgive myself for my oops moments much quicker now. It's hard, because I still react quickly, but I'm letting go now where before I didn't. I didn't binge after the comment I left, I did get a little upset with myself. I did have a "why did I do that" moment.
The thing is, the comment I left I knew the language I used wouldn't be offensive to the person because I've read her blog. I forget that it isn't a private conversation. And thankfully she let me know that it wasn't offensive.
I say shit in real life. A lot. I say other things, too. I try to live my online and off life with grace and try not swear, but sometimes I forget to mind my Ps and Qs. I do not go around like a member of Ozzy Osbourne's family--but I use a word now and then. My husband does, too. I think we both have a knack of knowing who we can relax around and talk this way with. I don't swear amongst most people I know.
It's a perfectionist thing. I want people to think I'm the nice person that I am. The people I know in real life really look down on swearing and don't think nice people swear. So I watch it. But that's not me. That is one reason I struggle with the town I live in, and making friends here. I know who I am, and always having to be on guard is uncomfortable.
One of my biggest fears is being judged. I judge myself harsher than I think others do. I say I don't care what people think of me, and in many cases that's true, but not always. I am learning to say "oh well" and moving on.
It's a tough lesson to learn. It's pretty easy to accept I'm human and will make mistakes, it's more difficult to not beat myself up and turn to my cookies.
I'm doing it, though. Each time something comes up, because I'm human and something will always come up, I'm getting better and better. And that's the point of it all, to get better.
~~~
Speaking of food, I have only eaten 23 of 31 points today. I don't think I'll eat anymore. I sipped on Cup-of-Soup, crackers, toast and diet Sierra Mist today. Hubby made me some noodles for supper. I'm feeling less toxic, but I'm only to 80%. I'm hoping after a good night's sleep, I'll be up to 90 tomorrow. I only took two OTC ibuprofen today, which is great.
The surgery clinic called to see how I was doing. I told them. When they asked the standard if there was anything they could have done differently, I spoke up. I told the gal I did not feel awake enough to leave, and that I got horribly sick in the car on the way home. I told her that I wish I could have had one more hour there--to sleep/wake up get on my feet better. She checked the chart and I was in the first post-op room for 15 minutes, of which I only remember someone saying "Give her morphine" and throwing up, and the second post-op room for an hour. I was shocked that I was discharged so quickly. I told her that in the future, for out-of-town patients, they might offer to let them stay longer. I don't think it would have been as bad had I had a 10-minute drive home. But we were in the car for an hour. And I really grossed my family out. lol
That perfectionist thing? I think it's something that all people of weight struggle with. I know I do.
ReplyDeleteSwearing? F- it, man. Sometimes the situation just calls for it - lol!
Laura
You can't give what you don't have.
ReplyDeleteYet you forgive others - so you must HAVE the ability to forgive. Now, allow yourself to enjoy the benefits and release of truly being forgiven. By you! "To err is human, to forgive - divine"
Great job, not eating, but just saying "oh, well!"
Hi
ReplyDeleteGood information.
Diet Plan
,
Walk In Clinic
,
Diet Menu
,
Healthy Diet Foods
,
Pain Management
,
Health and Medicine
,
Real estate blogs
,
JObs opportunities for us
,
Travel In Pakistan
I struggle with this thing as well--that thing that says I must be perfect. You are doing so well. Glad that you heard from your friend and that it wasn't offensive. Don't be so hard on yourself sweetie! Also, very proud of you for telling the clinic what you think. I agree with you! Hoping that tomorrow is even better. Blessings--Bonnie
ReplyDeleteYeah, don't be too hard on yourself, we all know that you are a nice person and would have laughed at the comment, knowing you were on drugs (that sounds so funny).
ReplyDeleteKeep on getting better - glad you told the clinic!
Way to tell the clinic!! That's insane they discharged you so fast.
ReplyDeleteDon't worry about the swearing. It's over and it's probably only a big deal to you, so knock that sh*t off. I am not even on drugs....lol
You're preaching to the choir....we've all done or said things we regret. In fact, I had a total meltdown yesterday, said really mean things to my daughter that I can't take back and then proceeded to eat my way through a batch of cookies (at 3 points a piece). It's really one step forward, one step back until you get it right. It's okay to be imperfect --- it's what makes you human.
ReplyDeletejust for the record - you can be harsh with me any time you feel like it on my comments cos your caring shows when you are truthful!
ReplyDeleteHere's the deal hon, I'm going to toss out a bit of my own tough love.
ReplyDeleteI get the negative self talk, I do that to myself (as you obviously know) when shit gets rough for me. However, censoring yourself for others?! Come on! I'm not saying you need to sound like a drunken sailor on leave like myself, but really, if you stub your toe in front of your "nice" friends and drop an f bomb and they turn their noses up at you, just tell them to suck it, that shit hurts!
And all this stuff about being perfectly graceful and nice, it's great in theory. However, if that isn't who you are, or who you want to be, then why do it? To impress the "nice" friends that you have? I'd say that if they're going to judge you because you're humanly imperfect than they really aren't the kind of friends that you need.
Also, unless you've shared this blog site with all of your friends you have no need to censor yoruself here. And you certainly shouldn't feel the need to censor yourself on my blog. Here's the thing, I may be foul mouthed and fantastically sarcastically crude....but I'll give you the shirt off my back if you need it. So does my dirty mouth really make me not nice? I don't think so, but then I really don't care what others think of me in that sense. Granted around seniors I'll attempt to kabosh the potty talk.
And off that rant! lol
I'm proud of you for telling that clinic what you believed in. They did let you out too early, and they deserved to know it.
ah ha! I have an idea! Whenever it is evening and I look back at all of the failures of the day, I can say "oh, I did that I purpose, lest I be perfect." LOL heheheh *wink, wink*
ReplyDeletei wish i could forgive myself easier for my ooops moments. i am working on it.
ReplyDelete*hugs* everyone makes mistakes. just gotta learn from it and move on. and definitely no beating yourself up, missus.