A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.13.2009

Gag, Sputter, Eww, GROSS!

Nothing in life is free.

When you find a product that claims the entire package is 40 calories, 1 fat gram and 4 fiber grams, which equals a solid 0 points, be leery.

I bought five bags of shiratake tofu noodles today while I was in the big city. I was so excited! Hungry Girl says they're just like spaghetti! They're getting rave reviews all over the internet.

If you have an issue with food texture: DO NOT BELIEVE this propaganda.

Actually, the taste of the noodles was fine. It did taste like spaghetti.

The texture? It was the grossest thing I have ever eaten in my life. I tried a noodle after I had rinsed and dried it and I gagged. I then par boiled it, rinsed and tried again. I gagged. I then added some spaghetti sauce that was in the fridge. The taste was fine, but I gagged and gagged. My son ended up eating my dinner.

It tasted just like spaghetti. I will never believe that people cannot tell the difference, though. The things are rubbery. They don't break down. I didn't find them slimy at all.

I have read on the internet that people cut them up and just kind of slurp them down to avoid the rubber texture. I do not slurp. I masticate.

I tried these over an hour ago and honestly, I am still having a gag reaction to the things. I will probably have nightmares about them, my reaction was that bad. It was gross. I'd rather eat over-cooked disgusting, slimy vegetables than these things.

If you do not have a problem with food texture, you will probably love these.

Ewwww. I have the willies.

9 comments:

  1. Oh my god. The title of this post made me laugh! Sometimes there are NO substitutes for something... ie: noodles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you like spaghetti squash? I love it. I can't stand anything tofu. Anything that expands in your mouth the more you chew it is on my list of what not to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha!
    I had read a bunch of different people saying how they were "just like spaghetti" and that people "couldn't tell the difference" and I didn't believe them for a second. I knew they'd be disgusting.
    Sorry about the gagginess.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Orange Kitteh & I tried these as well..... they just are not the same. After The Kit made a comparison b/t squid and the noodles, we were pretty much done with them. They do not have a flavor, so I cannot say the flavor was bad, but the texture conjures up so many sea images, that I cannot get past it...... I kept imagining sea anemones and Nemo while I was chewing, and it just never got better from there. Something are just too good to be true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, I'd been tempted to look into these after seeing a link to hungry girl's fake fettuccine alfredo, but after this post I don't think I will. Yuck yuck yuck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to check them out since I am missing pasta so much...but now I will save my money!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was the smell that got me more than the texture, I couldn't get over that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the heads up! I've been leery of them, and it doesn't sound like I'd like them either... Eww!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree! I was psyched to try the fake fettuccine alfredo and bought 3 packages of noodles. The taste was fine but it was like chewing rubber bands. I rarely put something down and quit eating it but ewwwwwwwwwwwww.

    ReplyDelete