We had our orthodontist appointment today. Braces will cost $5500. However, my son needs to have surgery. He needs a tooth removed, and a chain attached to an impacted tooth to be pulled out. No idea what that cost is.
Really bad news, we thought we had coverage albeit small for braces. According to the office, we have a dental only plan. Hubby is going to inquire at work tomorrow. Damn. I'm more worried about the impacted tooth. I just don't know how we could come up with cash to have surgery done.
As we were leaving, we heard a kid screaming bloody murder. My son's eyes got huge. (He's timid and afraid of pain.) The assistant told my son that the child wasn't being hurt, it was just a child who had emotional issues. I had to explain it later to my son, but it freaked him out. He held his composure fine until we got into the car.
He had a complete meltdown in the car. He is scared to death of surgery and of pain. He bawled and cried, "Please don't make me do this, mom." He has his own issues, and they showed through today. I just drove aimlessly around as he cried. I told him to just let it out. Meanwhile, I was crying on the inside. Why does life have to be so hard for him? He's such a good kid. It just breaks my heart.
We ran our errands, and got a new kitchen faucet as ours broke. (When it rains, it pours...$$$ all the time.) I let him pick it out, and he did get a really cool faucet. He has good taste. He also picked our living room paint color a few years ago. lol
Instead of going to our beloved Taco Bell for lunch, I surprised him. He was having such a bad day that I did what I knew best: comfort with food. I pulled into the Olive Garden. He devoured Fettuccine Alfredo. I had cheese ravioli, salad with dressing on the side, and a bread stick. One. That is so hard to only have one. It lifted his spirits considerably. It was actually really nice, as it was relaxing and we had a nice talk. That doesn't happen at Taco Bell. I told him that we could make that a special treat between us once a month when he has to visit the orthodontist. That made him happy. Funny, since I switched to Romaine salads, I didn't really love the salad today like I always used to. Amazing how our tastes change.
When we returned home, my husband was walking out of the garage with a dog crate. Uh-oh. Never a good sign when a dog crate is coming out of the house. Poor Pip. He had the runs while we were gone. When hubby let him out of the crate, he went a little crazy, running around the kitchen. We walked in to quite a sight. I told son to disappear while I scrubbed the floors I think I did actually shed a tear on that one. Poor dog, poor us having to clean that up. I did a really good job, but it was just icky enough that I think I'll do it again tomorrow. It's clean--but I have germ issues. Maybe OCD? I'll probably scrub it down a couple more times until I feel safe. Yet, I know it's good. Thank goodness for disinfectant. Hubby then hosed Pip off in the back yard and brought him in to give him a bath. Of course then I had to clean the bathroom.
Never a dull moment.
Then there were the gross noodles (I'm still gagging!), all the stress of the day has me frazzled. Actually, it's been a stressful week.
I am trying to catch up on blogs, but my mind is gone. I read SeaShore's blog, and how she has turned her cholesterol around and I was just so inspired. She commented on all the walking. I haven't been exercising, and I really needed to read her post tonight. It really struck me, how powerful exercise is. That just kind of stopped me in my tracks, made me think, and I just can't read anymore. Tomorrow is another day. I hate getting behind on blogs.
I want to be like her. I've done amazing things for my health so far, but I want my bad cholesterol down, my good cholesterol up and my triglycerides down. Exercise is key. Excuses don't help.
And so it goes, another day in the life of a middle-aged mom getting sh*t together...literally and figuratively. lol
I saw your blog listed at http://jfhi.blogspot.com/ and felt that since I just started my own blog titled '266' (I'm sure you understand why) that I had to come over and say 'hi'. You've made an amazing amount of progress in a short time and I am sure I will be back to pick up some tips and to lend support. Keep up the great work!
ReplyDeleteOh girl what a day!! Your poor son :( My hubby is 26 and desperately needs braces, but s too afraid to get them, so I feel your son's pain!
ReplyDeleteONE breadstick?! You are a bastion of strength ;)
Hope you have a fabulous Friday tomorrow :)
It sounds like a tough day for you!
ReplyDeleteBut I love how you and your family
are there for each other. My mother and I are not very open with our emotions (me learning from her) and the image of you driving around while you let your son cry it out is a very moving one. You are such a warm, loving mother and your son is very lucky to have you :)
It does sound like you had a hard day. I think that it's so good you are working through each thing that comes up at a time.
ReplyDeleteGood for you on the breadstick. My post today is about the "free food" at restaurants!
When Free Food Isn't Free
One bread stick? You are an iron woman.
ReplyDeleteYou sure handled your son well after hearing the screams of anguish at the orthodontist. Sounds like you are a good Mom.
I love to hear about your son. Said a little prayer for your two and the orthodontist. My daughter (aka The Kit) had to have the expander thing installed to correct a cross bite. Each night I had to dial the thing tighter to expander the roof of her mouth. It was just awful. She is a trooper and thankfully it was not fight each night to do it; however, it just killed me to have to do it! So, I feel your pain ( no pun intended ;) ). I think the whole special treat following the dentist is a great idea. Good luck to you both... made need your backup when we get the braces.
ReplyDeleteThe key to the dental thing is an excellent dentist. My boys have a wonderful pediatric dentist who they love. Before him, it was a struggle to get them to the dentist. You might check around. Explain you situation and ask if there are any good childrens dentists in the area. You'd be surprised. It's awful to see your kids so afraid.
ReplyDeleteSounds like a crap day for the ages.
ReplyDeleteI feel for your little guy. I didn't have to go through the trauma of braces, but like Val's husband, mine should have gotten braces as a kid and never did because of his fear of the pain.
I hope Pip's feeling better too!
Man, what a day! Your poor son - I feel bad for him. My son has a small mouth and every dentist and orthodontist visit was hard on him...and there's not a lot we moms can do to help. Glad you gave him some comfort food along with the comforting!
ReplyDeleteHope today is much better and less, well, crappy.
Oh, do I dread the day we get the nod for braces on either child. They are so expensive & yep, dental insurance doesn't cover much here either.
ReplyDeleteLove that you're putting a postive spin on his visits by having mom/son time. That will def. help!
I'm with you on those noodles...they just don't sound appealing to me at all. Ick!
Have a great weekend!
I actually cracked up at the last line.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry about your son. I cried a bunch after the consultations before I got braces (and again when I actually got them on), but it sounds like you're handling your son really well. I think having a nice long chatting lunch with him after the orthodontist sounds like it could be a good tradition.
Sorry about your son's anxiety over the orthodontist. I wore braces for 2 1/2 years and have always had emotional issues..crying easily and the like. I'm glad you guys had a nice, relaxing lunch together filled with good conversation between Mom and son. That warms my heart. :)
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for your wonderful comment. It really lifted my spirits.
ReplyDeleteWow, your goal is really close to mine. Once I get there I might go down more...like my dad would say "whatever feels good." You have lost over 40 pounds so far...that is sooo AWESOME!
Keep up the good work! You will make it!
-Amber