A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.10.2009

A Sick Feeling

Today has just been one of those days.

I decided to get busy with the homeschool planning, made up my forms and then emailed them to the old computer that is hooked up to the printer. I went downstairs, got the documents, turned on the printer and ... service error. Looked up the service error and wanted to cry.

Yes, my old HP LaserJet 4Plus that I bought new for a lot of money in 1995 has died. Oh, has he been a good friend to me. In my court reporting days, which is why I bought him, he printed hundreds of thousands of pages. In my "retirement" years, he has printed Cub Scout stuff, personal papers, genealogy, and most importantly, all our homeschool stuff.

A homeschooler simply cannot live without a printer. A good printer.

We have had a few inkjet printers over the years. They always die. I think we've had five or six in the last ten years. I always just printed without color on the LaserJet. The inkjet printers were so expensive to print with, the LaserJet was pennies.

So I must bite the bullet and get a new printer. Looking at Newegg is making my head spin. I want duplexing, I want wireless, I want color. Options are few. I sure didn't want to be spending any more money. Yet, I don't want to go frugal and regret it later. We each have a computer now, and the wireless, while not necessary, it's really at the top of our want list.

What with the car repair, the new printer, the appointment later this week finding out what the braces will cost...I just get a sick feeling in my gut. What's more, our fridge is making a lot of bad noises. Hubby never heard them, and maybe he thought I was crazy, but today at lunch he heard it and the look on his face made my stomach churn. It ain't pretty.

I just bought a new washer not long ago as the old one died, but I was able to pay cash. It is very hard to live without a credit card. I should have our car repair paid off this month, but darn it all, now here's another big bill for a printer. We do enough printing, that it really wouldn't pay to go cheap. Laser costs less to operate, it doesn't smear, and it's faster. Printing one of the workbooks from Rosetta Stone Spanish alone would eat up a inkjet cartridge--at least that's our experience, and I have two to print because I have to learn the Spanish, too.

UGH

The good news is that as my stress level rose, I did not have a panic attack, just a sick feeling. Also, I did not turn to food. Food isn't going to make me feel one bit better. I know if I were to walk to the fridge or cupboard and eat, it would indeed make me feel much worse. So I think I've made great strides in that area. In times gone by, I would be eating cookies now, and lots of 'em.

I shouldn't complain. Especially in these times, with people losing jobs, with the economy in the sh*thole like it is. We are very fortunate. I do count my blessings. We're healthy, we're safe. That doesn't mean that I can't get that sick feeling when I need to spend money, though. And I'm frustrated because I wanted to get school planned *now* and be done with it.

sigh

5 comments:

  1. I am sure you will do your research and find a good one but it still sucks a**. You have made some MAJOR progress Jo regarding the anxiety and turning to food. You should be very proud of yourself for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope everything works out Jo!!! I'm so proud of you seeing the stressful situation for what it is, and not thinking food will help fix it!! That is a HUGE step in the weight loss journey, and one I still struggle with! I do better, but the want to turn to food for comfort is still there. Just got to call it out and tell it back off!!! LOL!
    I really hope you find the printer you want...you are right, it can be so confusing picking the best one for your needs! Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry to hear that about your printer especially since we have the exact same one! Ours hasn't had as much use as yours though. I have actually never been able to make sense of those computer codes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! Your printer may have died, but your peace of mind is alive and well. You are doing so well--I am so happy for you. And congratulations on your loss this week! Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate having to make a big purchase like that! Totally sucks! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete