Weight: 231
Loss: 0
Hmm. Perfectly on plan except my son's birthday, I have no idea how many calories I consumed--but I was very mindful of what I ate. Light on exercise last week. While I always like to see a loss as it gets me closer to my goal, I have no worries about today's weigh in. I'm just going to keep on doing what I'm doing, which is leading a much healthier life. I think I may have a touch of water retention.
~~~
I am having major DOMS today. I had to look up DOMS when I first saw the term--delayed onset muscle soreness. My legs are very sore. Yesterday I did a FIRM tortoise, Better Body and Buns. A tortoise is a FIRM tape that is 75% sculpting and 25% cardio. DOMS means your muscles can be retaining water due to tearing the fibers down. I am learning so much about fitness that I never knew.
Here's what I don't know. On a day you're having DOMS, is it better to do some light exercise or take a complete day of rest? I've seen opinions going both ways. I do know that when I experience "light" muscle soreness, it's as if my muscles are screaming to work out. When I do, that light soreness disappears. So today my legs and glutes are really feeling it, do I do something light? I think I need to experiment because everyone's body reacts differently. I do have a FIRM tape that I find very easy, and it's a Hare, which is 75% cardio and 25% weights--and I would either use no weights or my 2-pounders. I think I'll try it and see what happens.
~~~
We will go to the orthodontist appointment today. We've been downgraded to expect only 2 inches, and the town we're going to is expecting 4 inches. It's warm enough that it is melting on the roads, but clinging to the grass. It's actually quite beautiful.
My body is quite tense today, as I expected. Another reason a light workout may be helpful. Another reason I may be experiencing soreness--but I know the legs is due to yesterday's exercise, it may just be more pronounced. Today would be a perfect day to crawl back into bed. But we're doing school and can't.
I always have DOMS - always! Light exercise definitely helps move the lactic acid around and work the kinks out. You probably already know this but don't worry too much about the scale, you're doing the right things so that will change.
ReplyDeleteLight exercise is the way to go.
ReplyDeleteBack when I played sports in high school, we were always told that if we were sore at the start of the season or after a new exercise, it was just DOMS and that exercising the next day would help the lactic acid. My trainer says the exact same thing. So, my vote's on exercise.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteI just found your blog - it's great. Looks like you are doing amazingly well. I think that perhaps the best thing when you're having a DOMS day is some walking - brisk, but not too crazy intense. That'll get the cobwebs out and give the muscles a chance to breathe. Good job!
I find soreness pops up unexpectedly too. I've been painting quite a bit, and two days after the last time I paint, I'm really sore. Weird how that can happen. Best thing I've found? Light exercise and stretching. Plus a heating pad helps me some.
ReplyDeleteI find that working out in the light-to-medium range helps DOMS. That and water and motrin, lol!
ReplyDeleteAre you getting enough protein after your workouts? When you sculpt your muscles, you need to get some protein in you within 30 minutes of the end of the workout. That's what my trainer tells me, anyway, and I found that when I was not really strict on doing this, my muscles didn't seem to repair themselves and get stronger. (I was pretty lax for about 8 weeks, and noticed it because new people were stronger than I was in our group).
We all have weeks like this. Just know that next week will be better, stay on target! I should listen to myself, geesh! :)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely take it easy on the exercise until your energy and muscles recover. You will probably have a great loss next week!! Stay positive.
ReplyDeleteI'd do a little walk or something. Like a two mile slow walk. That always makes me feel better. Know what you mean about school, no crawling back into bed when there is math to do...lol. Hope your feeling better soon.
ReplyDeleteWe have an award for you!
ReplyDelete:D
Hi Jo,
ReplyDeleteLook at you! Working out machine! :) My trainer always talks about that. We train a group of muscles each session and we don't go back to the those muscles for another 3-4 days. It may also help to load up on protein because that helps the muscles rebuild. Also a must have? Lavender scented epsom salt. It's gotten me through many rough days! Hope you're feeling better!
I am so glad you are back from your vacation - not gaining while away is always a massive success, so WELL DONE on that!
ReplyDeleteI popped over to visit your other blog (love it by the way) and love your pictures - you are definitely trimming up - fantastic progress.
As for the DOMs, I think a little light exercise, like a walk is the way to go, it helps loosen them up a bit.
You are doing so well overall - a total inspiration!
Wow! You have come such a long way. :) Just thought I would mention that my hubby lifts and runs and is building muscle like mad. He also craves protein because of it. Have you noticed that you crave more protein? Perhaps a protein powder my help your muscles repair faster. ??????
ReplyDeleteI usually do better with a walk or something, just to keep my muscles moving.
ReplyDeleteYou are a dedicated mom! This is why I couldnever homeschool-I'm too lazy! And I am a teacher too lol But that's different...If my classroom was in my kitchen, I would NOT be motivated to do anything ;)
You are rocking lil work-out mama!