A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

10.22.2009

Terrible Day

This was probably the worst day I've had in a year and a half. Awful, just awful. My son's procedure did not happen, he was referred to someone new, so we have to go through all that anticipation/stress again. And the new procedure will be much more traumatic and invasive.

Sometimes we have good days, sometimes we have bad days, and sometimes we just want to go to bed and pull the covers over our head. I pulled the covers over my head for an hour this afternoon, along with taking a Xanax. I just took a second Xanax about a half hour ago.

When it's good, it's really, really good. When it's bad, it stinks.

Now this is not said to be whiny, looking for sympathy or being a diva or baby. It just is. And I do go back over this blog as I use it as my memory at times. I don't think I'll forget today anytime soon, but at least I've written about it.

To polish off my crappy day, I've decided to be grateful for some things:

My son. I could not have asked for a more wonderful, loving, intelligent, caring kid. He's good to the core, and I'm so proud of him.

My husband. We actually had a little, um, disagreement today, but I still love him. I'm grateful we resolved it.

My dogs. Always love us, never show judgment, and always bring a smile to my face.

I'm grateful that we had a safe trip home and back from the big city.

I'm grateful that we have a fantastic orthodontist.

I'm grateful it did not rain today.

I'm grateful I'm alive, getting healthy, and didn't even have the desire to overeat during my day of hell.

I'm grateful that I'm strong. I was able to hold myself together until I got home, at which point I took a full Xanax. I don't find it weak that I took one, I am proud that I held it together today. I'm making progress.

I'm grateful tomorrow is Friday and we'll be able to have a full school day. I don't have to go anywhere, I can just stay home and relax.

I'm grateful we homeschool, because I'm declaring tomorrow a pajama day!

I'm grateful that there is still half a cake left! In the olden days, it would have been gone the next day. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, only half was consumed. We're all eating healthier, I think that's proof!

I'm grateful to God.

See, I can see the light through the darkness. Bad days happen, and that's just a part of life. How we deal with them is what matters. No one ever said life would be easy, and it's not. Yet changing our perceptions, accepting there will be bad days instead of being devastated by them and eating myself to oblivion works wonders.

I rock. =)

14 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you had such a horrible day, but well done on coping so well and coming out of it with such a positive attitude.

    Enjoy tomorrow's pyjama day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your son's new procedure. But you handled it well. More than well--you were awesome today! Loved the thankful list. I find that being thankful at least once a week helps keep things in perspective. Blessings--Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating yourself into oblivion only works your ability to chew and swallow. Glad you got some perspective as that's not always the easiest thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You DO rock! And you are an inspiration!~~~XXOO, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES YOU DO ROCK!! You kept it together and you were an example to your son. What a gift!

    Here's to PJ day. Now is this a paid hoilday??

    have a good weekend

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the bad day. But I have to say I am totally impressed by your attitude and outlook on life!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope everything gets better. When it rains, it pours. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry about your bad day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You SO rock. I agree!

    Girl, sometimes I have those days for absolutely no reason whatsoever. Don't even sweat it if you temporarily fall apart over an actual crappy situation. Now that you're past the initial yuck stage, repeat after me: IT IS WHAT IT IS. Say it over and over as needed. It is sometimes my stinking mantra, and amazingly it helps!

    Hang in there, this too shall pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to look at the good on an awful day! That is something I need to work on. Thanks for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You absolutely rock!! And I love your thankful list.

    I know you are a big fan of the Firm. I am so excited because I just ordered 3 of them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry about your day and what your little guy must be going through (my "little" guys are 12 and 15 but they are still "little" to me!). You handled it well, be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are fabulous for looking past the dark & right into the light, Jo! Trust me when I say, you are not alone with the bad days. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry you had a bad day :( But you are such a ray of sunshine!! To look at what you are grateful for when you are down-totally amazing!

    ReplyDelete