I made Doritos Casserole for supper tonight. I've had this recipe a long time, but never made it because I didn't want to buy a bag of Doritos. Well, time for a change, so I tried it.
The original recipe did not call for refried beans, but we couldn't imagine the ingredients without, so I added a can.
The result: Really, really yummy. But, not a lot of food for the points. I was hungry after supper. It made six servings, so we'll have it again tomorrow night. I will plan ahead, so that I can have more calories for a side dish so I'm not so hungry.
The boys both asked this be added to our menus. I'm mixed--only because I was hungry. Flavor was great. Also, more processed foods than I'd like, but since we don't do that often, I won't worry too much.
This is really yummy served with shredded lettuce, fresh tomatoes and a dollop of light sour cream. (those items not included in recipe's nutritional info.)
* Exported for MasterCook 4 by Living Cookbook *
Doritos Casserole
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time:
Categories :
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound 93% ground beef
1/2 pound velveeta light
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 can FF chicken soup
1 can diced tomatoes
6 ounces baked doritos
1 can refried beans
1. Brown ground beef, add chili powder, cream of
chicken soup, and tomatoes. (I also added cumin and onion powder, and lots of both.)
Crush Doritos and pour half into a 9x13 casserole dish sprayed
with Pam, add a layer of the meat mixture, half the cheese, another layer
of chips, then meat mixture and finish off with cheese.
Bake at
350-degrees for 30 minutes.
(Used real Velveeta light, which was a pain to slice thinly, however it tasted very yummy.)
Nutrition (calculated from recipe ingredients)
----------------------------------------------
Calories: 433
Calories From Fat: 128
Total Fat: 14.5g
Cholesterol: 17.8mg
Sodium: 1138mg
Potassium: 554.6mg
Carbohydrates: 48.3g
Fiber: 7.6g
Sugar: 5.2g
Protein: 27g
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
That does sound yummy. Unfortunately it would never get made in my house, as I'd eat all the Doritos before they ever made it to the dish. Yeah, me and chips don't have a very healthy relationship.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Amy. I'd be snacking on the open bag and would only leave a few crumbs for the casserole.
ReplyDeleteThat sounds wonderfully delicious! Irene fixes something called Doritos Salad...I'll have to share this one with her.
ReplyDeleteThank you Jo!
My best
Sean
That does sound yummy!
ReplyDeleteI couldn't eat just one serving, Mexican and I should be seperated for safety purposes. I only get some on my splurge day :*(
ReplyDeleteIt sounds fabulous but I would definitely have troubles with the serving sizes. One thing I have learned is to avoid hunger - which is why I quit the Flat Belly Diet after one day - I was going to kill someone if I didn't control the hunger.
ReplyDeleteI don't envy you having to do this with children - balance between you and them is important.
That's sounds really dangerous!
ReplyDelete