A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

11.30.2009

Home, Safe and Sound

All went well. Whew.

My sweet son cried and shook, he was so scared. The oral surgeon was absolutely fantastic with him--patient yet leading him in what to do. I went into the surgery room while they covered him up, attached the monitors, etc. My son was squeezing my hand so hard I thought I'd lose the tips of my fingers. Then the doctor said I would stay until he was asleep. That shocked me.

That was the weirdest experience of my life! They put him to sleep right then and there, the surgeon asking him what he ate for Thanksgiving. I watched his eyes get droopy, his fingers never quit squeezing. It took about two minutes--much longer than I remembered with my last surgery. He looked so peaceful lying there--yet it was also kind of creepy.

I had to pry my son's hand off mine so I could leave. The doctor pointed to his cheek, told me to kiss it, and he would take good care of my son.

When he woke up, they shoved him out the door. lol I just hate how they do that! They did it with me, too. I think an extra hour, so a person is really awake, would be nice. Yet the experience wasn't that bad.

My son may say differently, as he started hurting on the way home, and couldn't eat the Frosty we got him which they told us he'd be able to eat. He was bleeding, and he followed me in that he was whiny, crabby and mad. Got home, hubby got the medications and when they kicked in, he was wide awake, feeling much better, had his melted Frosty, pudding and a Carnation Instant Breakfast. He's lying on the couch watching TV with his Dad at the moment.

We'll start school again Wednesday, as I think he might be sore tomorrow.

Now, how did Mom handle it? Well, I put on a brave face, smiled, reassured this was totally safe and that DS would be fine. All the while I was freaking out inside thinking, "What if it isn't fine and I lied to my child?" Watching him go out was creepy--while I found it absolutely fascinating to watch the pros at work doing their job, I don't know that I'd like to witness that again.

When we went to get the Frosty, I was starved. I got a burger and fries. I haven't had a fast food burger and fries in MONTHS. The burger was fantastic. The fries? Awful! They were so full of salt, cold, tasteless. I ate them anyway because I was hungry. Forget about the safe snack that was in my purse. 640 calories for my lunch. I don't regret it, but it was emotional eating because I did have something with me.

Driving home, I kept sighing. I felt as each muscle group in my body was giving way at a different time. All the stress released and it was just odd. My husband kept looking at me as I was driving, because I would do a loud sigh and then shake my arm. It was strange. To top that weirdness off, I did not sleep last night. I slept from 12-2, woke up and couldn't sleep. About 4:30 I drifted off again to wake at a little after 6. I don't do well without a full night's sleep.

The best thing is it's all done and over. Whew. For my health, I learned I really need to keep the Calorie King book I bought to carry in the car--in the car. I didn't have it. If I had, I would have had 2 singles for 440 calories instead of 1 at 220 and fries at 42o. I didn't know calorie counts or WW Points for either item, because I haven't eating that way since January.

What a day. All I know is my baby is not in pain, he's resting comfortably, that he was able to eat a bit, and that he should recover fairly quickly. We survived.

Thank you for positive thoughts and prayers. They were greatly appreciated.

21 comments:

  1. You, whiny, crabby and mad? It's inconceivable!

    Glad that's over with. Hope he's up and at 'em in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad to hear that all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I missed your earlier post, but I'm glad to see everything went well. And speaking as a mom who had one son have surgery 4 times on his arm, YES, it is much rougher on the mother! So kudos to you, Jo, for getting through this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to hear all went well. Tried posting a comment last night but my phone was being stupid, so checked to see if you updated!
    As for the fast food, is it sad that I can name all the healthiest options for at least 4 chains? I take the little ones to McDonalds once every so often and when we're on the road with work during busy times we always stop at places like that, so I've learned my lesson....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to hear that everything went well! What a relief that he'll be on the mend now! :) That doctor sounds like a keeper, not many are so nice these days. BTW, I gave you an award at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That would be stressful watching your child put under anesthesia. Glad all went well for your little man.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Totally understand how you were feeling and it is never easy. Well done for being a great mother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH yay!!! So glad all went well and you are able to relax and sigh with relief!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad everything went well! What a relief to have it over, right?

    I'm with you on the fries. The few times I've had them in the past seven months I could only taste the salt...yuck. Much rather have two burgers. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad everything went well, and that your son is on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad everything went well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so glad your son is safe and sound... you're a great mom!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad it's over and all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you both got through it!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been out of touch since last Wednesday. I'm glad things went well with your son's surgery!

    I wanted to let you know I've nominated you for an award. Come by on Tuesday to pick it up!

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am very happy for you that that ordeal is over and you both came through unscathed :)

    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad things went alright and he is home and watching television. I had my little one put under once...I made myself sick looking up all sorts of statistics.
    oy. Well, back on track. Maybe you can get some rest tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  18. *hugs* you did so well. glad it all went ok. hope the son feels 1oo percent soon.

    i hear you on the salty fries.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wouldn't all us mothers rather have the surgery ourselves than our child to have it? Glad to hear it went well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bless your heart. You did a great mom thing: calm on the outside for your child but freaking out on the inside. It's tough. I know. Glad that's over. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  21. its been a couple days since i have been on here but i am very glad to hear everyhing went well with the surgery

    ReplyDelete