A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

11.12.2009

Morning

It's morning. It's 6:30 am. It's not normal for me to be up and coherent enough to blog at this time of day.

I'm a night owl. I was up until 1 a.m. last night. It's my nature. I like to get up around 8 or 8:30. We try to start school around 9. Hubby is a morning person. He's chipper and happy and annoying as h-e-double-toothpicks. I don't like to get up when he's in such a state. He's bouncy, cheerful and talkative. Me? I need a half hour just to wake up enough to talk. Saying two simple words, "Good morning" is the most I can muster upon arousal.

Last night I was playing with my doggies after everyone else was in bed. I was loving them, they were loving me, snuggling, giving me kisses--it was a lovely bonding time. Then I started feeling really guilty. Hubby used to get up early and take them for a morning walk--before we got our third pup, that is. Border collies are interesting dogs, and quirky, and our three each have a quirk making it impossible -- well, not so fun for him to walk all three together.

First pup likes cars--he wants to herd them. Hubby has worked really well with this guy and it's under control. Second doggie is scared to death of drains in the street. He freaks. You have to cross the street or put something between him and the drain. We've worked with him on this to no avail. This doggie is also afraid of our laundry chute in the hallway. If that chute is open, he won't walk down the hall! Third doggie, mine--Pip, he's not afraid of anything but he barks when he sees people. I've worked with him a lot, but he's still a little reactive (barking) when he sees someone in the distance.

So I was feeling really guilty about my poor doggies missing their morning walks. It's not as if the don't get exercise, hubby takes them into the back yard and plays fetch. Border collies + fetch equals great fun. They live for it. One word, "ball" will set them off. Anyway, at 1 a.m., I wrote a note to my husband and taped it above the coffee pot where he would be sure to see it. It said:

If you can wake me, and I know that's a big if, I will walk the dogs with you.

Well, he did and I did.

I do not like mornings. Oh, I already mentioned that. It was dark, so I threw on sweats and put my hair in a ponytail. 31-degree windchill, south wind blowing 22 mph, and we set out. The air cuts through me, my eyes start pouring water. I just don't get along with cool temps, wind--it drives my eyes crazy. In Minnesota, 31-degree weather is warm. We wish for 31 degrees in January and February.

And we walked. Hubby said it was 12 minutes. I proclaim it 15. The dogs enjoyed it. I hate to admit it, but so did I.

Walking with my husband has always been difficult. He's 6'5", a whole foot taller than I am. His stride -- I have to practically run to keep up with his normal stride. He slowed a bit this morning, I stepped it up and we had a perfect match. My fitness has improved greatly, and I didn't get winded. It wasn't so bad.

Compromising is a good thing. I put my wants aside (wanting to sleep) and he put his aside (wanting to walk normally for him) and we had a nice, quite time together. I also put my selfishness aside and stepped it up for my doggies.

Before, I just couldn't have done this. I didn't have the energy, I couldn't keep up even on a 15-minute walk. I had no balance, I didn't enjoy walking. We walked a bit this summer, with the doggies, and things improved. But today, it was a different story.

When we turned the corner and were a half block from home, I did the unthinkable. I jogged. All the way home. A whole half block. This made my husband jog, because the two dogs he was walking got worked up. I did something quite extraordinary for me. The best thing was that I was able to do it. Now it was a slow jog, but it was a jog.

When we got home I stated: I do not like jogging or running. I have no desire to do it. I will never do a 5-K, a couch-to-whatever it's called program. I don't want to. Yet, it is nice to know that if I wanted to, I could. It made me smile when hubby said he doesn't like to run or jog, either.

So I think we'll just have to do this again tomorrow. And the next day. Doggies will appreciate it, and maybe some day I'll turn into a morning person. Or not, but at least I can get up.

16 comments:

  1. LOL! That was really sweet of you to do that for your doggies...and your hubby. LOL. I am so glad you had such a good time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely a morning exerciser but of course morning varies for me. During the work week it requires a 4:15 am wakeup. On the weekends though, anything goes and I usually get going about an hour after I wake up. I always said I'd never run too, but then 8 years ago I started doing a jog/walk thing to try to stay off BP meds. Didn't work but here I am all these years later, now a runner who has completed 4 marathons. Never say never my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're like me, Jo. You don't want to run a 10K, but you want to if you wanted to. As you continue on this successful little "run" of weight-loss, I think you'll find even more of a spring in your step. I have so much energy these days that it's hard not to run when I take the dogs out on the leash. It just feels good to let loose and GO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like fun! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved this story! Glad you and hubby had some bonding time and you and the doggies got in some exercise too. I'm not a morning person either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great way to start the day! Spending time with your hubby and the puppies and getting some exercise, too!

    Mornings are not my favorite time of day either! I usually get up early, but have trouble really waking up for a couple of hours.

    Your a wonderful inspiration to the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I call that a big victory! And there is nothing like love and guilt to get me outside with my dog, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well good for you and the doggies - but 31 brrrrrr and I am Canadian!!! My Golden was the best trainer I ever had - when those big brown eyes asked for a walk how could you say no.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love morning walks, but it sure is getting cold outside! It's so rewarding to make progress, like your being able to jog, isn't it? :) I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was a great post! I'm so happy that you were able to delve so gracefully into so many unknowns.

    ReplyDelete
  11. gooooooooooood morning.
    I am a morning person (I cant workout after, say, 6p :)) and am heading off to do cardio soon and start my day.
    loved this post and hope you join me in the am workout again today!
    :)
    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow @ you jogging. i tried to when i was doing c25k. it was hard. kudos to you.

    im not a morning person either. i hate those chirpy morning people too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great job on the jog! My main form of exercise for the first 100 pounds lost was walking. I've recently (last two months or so) gotten into running. I have a 5K under my belt and a 10K in the works. I NEVER thought I'd want to enter races, but it gets kind of addicting. And its nice to just know that YOU CAN. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such a sweet post. Good for the dogs, good for the marriage, great for you. I hope you keep it up.

    Also I wanted to say thank for your comments on Quinn's blog. We both really appreciate it - really, really.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good for you! (In more ways than one.) We walk the doggies at night, after work. It's a great way to decompress after a crazy day :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mornings suck, lol...oh I hate them...my bf is a morning person, so when he's here on weekends and starts in with all that "good morning" crap, after I've only got 1 eye fully open, I just wanna' beat him. :)

    I remember the first day I found out I could jog. Oh man....it was so awesome....however, my body couldn't physically do what my mind wanted to do.....I wanted to run like Forest Gump dude....just run and run and run....but my big fat body said, "OH, I don't think so...you're getting 30 seconds and that's it." :)

    ReplyDelete