A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

11.10.2009

Thank You, Body Fat, Sick, etc.

Thank you for all the supportive comments. One comment mentioned body fat. I looked at my scale, Googled the model, and found my scale does measure body fat! Who knew?

So, I am at 44% body fat. A lot, right? I'd hate to know what the number was when I weighed 282.5. You can bet your bottom dollar I'm going to calculate my body fat as well as weight from here on out!

Interestingly, according to Wikipedia, the obesity category is 42% and up. And I'm at 44. Oh, so close. Weight wise, I'll be out of the obese category when I get to 179 pounds. Other websites set the obese category at 40% body fat. I like the percentage better with the fat than the weight! At any rate, the numbers made me happy. Getting closer.

I do believe the exercise is what is messing me up here. Years ago, when I lost over 70 pounds with Weight Watchers, it came off fast. Then, I was very strong. I could help carry a hide-a-bed couch with hubby with no problem. I was once at a park with a bunch of moms and kids, and we had to move a picnic table. Three women on one end, me on the other. I was stronger than all three put together--they were in shock, and I couldn't believe they couldn't lift the table! Then one day that strength just seemed to disappear. My husband has mentioned this several times.

So I do believe I lost muscle, and right now I'm building it back up. I am really feeling changes in my muscles--changes that would really show if I didn't have so much fat. I'm getting my strength back. I also know that when I lift and exercise, that my muscles retain water while repairing.

I can't go any more difficult than I am with exercise--I'm working my tail off. The FIRM tapes are tough and I'm giving it my all. Remember all those sweat-soaked shirts in blogland a few months ago? I could definitely compete with them now. My t-shirts are soaked when I'm done working out.

I do follow Weight Watchers, and I use the Winning Points plan. I'm on target with their program. I am also counting calories, which is silly because WW works, but it is all right where it should be.

So this weight number may be a combination of a lot of things.

I simply have to quit worrying about that scale. What I'm doing I know is improving my health. We can see (subtle) and feel (not subtle at all!) the changes.

~~~
Today I was really sick. I got my son's virus. I started out okay, but dwindled fast. My husband took the afternoon off, and that was a good thing. We did school this morning, and I took two Benadryl and fell asleep--for 3 1/2 hours! Hubby cooked dinner, and I've been on the couch or in the bed the rest of the night. I'm feeling a bit better right now, so I'm hoping tomorrow will be much better. I really was ticked because I didn't work out. I debated it, but figured my body needed rest more.

~~~
I noticed on a swap board the other night that someone had a FIRM barbell for sale. These go fast when one is for sale, so I didn't think I'd get it--but I did! I think the gal has more than one, but I'm not sure. It's a great deal, and it's a me-sized barbell. It is under 5 feet long. I am thrilled. Sending the check off tomorrow and in a couple week I'll be one happy camper!

~~~
I'm so behind on blog reading. Even if I'm better tomorrow, I might not make it to commenting. School takes up a lot of my time, and so does being a housewife. I really wish I had the time I did this summer for the blog world. I do read, though, and I'm cheering everyone on when I read--even if I don't take the time to comment.

With that, I'm going back to bed. I'm resting much easier knowing I can monitor my body fat as well as weight now!

6 comments:

  1. I am EXACTLY the same way about strength! I've always been a strong girl and taken a lot of pride in my strength. People are always exclaiming about my strength and I've wanted to accuse them of sexism (underestimating what women can do, from both men and women) and/or prejudice about fat people (when a trainer wanted to show me how to use a weight machine once.) Some women feel that physical strength is unfeminine, but I can't imagine wanting to give up self-competence.

    But I have been losing muscular strength from all this lying around not doing anything, and now only hope that my muscles will rebuild themselves as readily as they did when I was in my 20s.

    How does your scale measure body fat? I want to measure my body fat!! ::Envy::

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think developing your strength is so important. Weight loss without gaining strength and fitness is much better than the alternative.

    I hope you are feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am missing all of the time I had this summer to read and comment on blogs too! Awesome find on the barbell!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Take care of yourself & I hope you're feeling better soon.

    I know that I started feeling better when I started doing strength training. I wasn't doing huge amounts - just the balance ball and small hand weights - but it really made a difference in how I felt overall.

    My scale measures body fat but I'm afraid to check it. lol I'm sure it will flash "marshmallow" or something. ;)

    Have a great week,
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. i just bought a scale that reads body fat percentage and bmi. it comes tomorrow. im quite nervous to see the numbers!

    goodluck with catching up on blogs.

    feel better soon, m'lovely.

    ReplyDelete