It started the other morning. I awoke, pulled up the blinds, and there was ice on the inside of the window thicker than the window itself. I knew: January was here. It was -26 that morning but felt like -46.
It's warmed up a bit, right now it's only -4 but it feels like -26. When did we stop using the term wind chill and start using feels like?
The point is I usually get a winter depression in January. January and February are my worst months. Sometimes it stretches into March, if our cold does.
I hate this bitter cold with all of my soul.
Hubby went back to work this morning. Whenever he travels out of town, I am just not right until he is home. Yet having him under foot for three weeks was a bit unsettling. We got used to it, but I feel like I need a week to deep clean the house and get things to normal. When he's home, it feels like weekend mode, and we all seem to let normal routines fly out the window.
I'm just feeling rather blah today, can you tell? As of late, I've been studying exercise and figuring out my routines. I haven't felt like blogging so I haven't blogged. This morning I had a fleeting thought of taking a day off food wise! That's how bad my moods get when the cold hits. Not going to happen, everything that has gone in has been weighed and recorded, but the fact that the thought popped into my mind disturbs me--a little. I'm a pretty tough cookie (unless I'm making cookies) so I don't think I'll be going off plan at all. That icy devil is trying to creep into my head, though.
I did hop on the scale this morning. I wasn't going to do that! I was down a half pound. That frustrates me, too, those small losses--but they are losses and I'm not going to let it get to me. I am wearing a shirt that two months ago was skin tight. I couldn't wear it, and now it's actually loose. So the scale isn't jiving with my body at all. I still want that stinking number to go down, down, down.
My workout this morning stunk. It was too easy. I kept thinking it would get going, get tougher--and it didn't. It would be a great tape for a beginner, but it is very rare so I can't even recommend it. I am going to hold on to it because I will use it on the days I have no energy or am sore--like yesterday. Had only I popped it in yesterday.
I am going to try my damnedest to keep myself positive and chipper the next two months at home and here on the blog. Debbie Downers are no fun. It's going to be a difficult task.
Before we moved to Minnesota, I was no stranger to lots of snow, blizzards, wind and cold. But it was never cold for so long--months. We used to have warm spells. Here? It's supposed to be above zero the end of the week: That's my warm spell.
Whine over.
i also hate winter because of the winter blues at least you are doing a good job of staying with your work out and eating healthy
ReplyDeleteyou are inspiring
I have just gone through my and time...the hoildays. I did better then I thought.
ReplyDeleteHope the same is true for you!
Try to keep yourself positive for your own sake. Don't be concerned about being "no fun". Life's about taking the chunky with the smooth.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I hate winter, too!
Hey, how about posting some progress pics? Given your recent post about fitting into your new/old clothes, I'd sure like to see some and it might cheer you up to get a million comments from people raving about how great you look. :-)
ReplyDeleteJust keep swimming Jo. remember, you are more important than the weather, so continuing all your hard work is very important! celebrate your 1/2lb and even more, celebrate the changes in your body. The truth is if our bodies don't change then how can we tell what work we've been doing. You're probably building some muscle and that can cause the scale to be slower. Head up! Muscles (even if you can't see them) are something to celebrate!!
ReplyDeleteI know how you feel about the numbers on the scale not matching the size of clothing that you can fit into. It stinks! Know that you have company with this.
ReplyDeleteHope the winter blues don't hit you too hard. I can't imagine living with such extreme cold - shoot, it's too cold for me here in South Texas!
wow, your state makes pennsylvania a tropical one....
ReplyDeleteno really, it's damn cold here too.
i find that tanning at the gym has helped my with that lack of sunshine seasonal depression.
i'm trying to fake my retinas out. they say the retinas soaking up the sunshine is what allows that feel good hormone to be realeased and than we "feel good".
I'm the same way. Hang in there though. This too shall pass, and before you know it spring will be here!
ReplyDeletewe got 6/7 inches of snow today!
ReplyDeletei detest this weather. it makes me miserable!
-26???????????? you have ever right to whine! :)
ReplyDelete- Lisa
http://inweighovermyhead.blogspot.com/
ugh, I HATE the cold too. I feel your pain. Now I live in Phoenix-come visit anytime!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I tried your shoe lace trick and it worked like a charm. THANK YOU!!!