A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

3.04.2009

Flex Points

Yesterday was one of those days I was so hungry, I would have eaten the wallpaper off the walls...if we had wallpaper, that is. There are going to be days like that. The first two days I was on program, I experienced that.

Well, no amount of water or fluid would hold me over yesterday. So I decided to dip into my flex points. I used a whopping 10 of them.

When I did Weight Watchers before and lost 72 pounds, I ate at the top of my point range. Back then it was a range with no flex points. It switched and I just distributed the flex points to my daily allotment. So it really wasn't a change at all.

Now, it's a huge change. Why? Because my daily point target now is 34. When I pulled out my Winning Points book, I saw my range was 29-34. The same. But not really, because now I have an additional 35 points per week. So in reality, if I were to distribute those flex points like I used to, I would get 39 points per day. That freaks me out. For some reason, it seems way too high.

Now I know Weight Watchers is constantly researching their program. The numbers change based on their research and science. I need to get that through my head and not be afraid. Yet, I am very afraid of 5 extra points a day, or a free 35 points for a week. It just seems too good to be true.

I find it ironic that most days I usually have no problem hitting my target. Some days, though, I am full in the mid to upper 20 range. On those days, I force myself to eat the rest of the points. Granted, those days aren't often--I think I've had three such days like that. Then there are days like yesterday where I could have easily gone off plan and eaten a lot.

I have always believed I should listen to my body. That's why yesterday I dipped into those scary flex points. I have also always believed I should eat on the high end of points on a daily basis, because when I get thinner and have fewer points, I will really want to do that. I want my body used to losing with more.

I need to leave all the worry up to Weight Watchers and just follow their plan. I guess next Monday the scale will tell me if I should be afraid of those flex points or not.

4 comments:

  1. I use all of my weeklie 35's. I found that If I dont use them sometimes I dont lose weight. Strange huh? lol

    When I have days like you did yesterday, where I am STARVING I printed out the filling foods list ( green diamond foods) I have it on my fridge. I scan through that and see what I can eat that will satisfy me. I eat a lot of foods off of that list in general so I wont be hungry and it totally helps me.

    I went from being able to eat 35 pts a day to now getting 25 so those flex points really help me. AP's are another story and I do not eat ANY. I was struggling to lose weight and I was eating them so chatted with my leader and she said I dont have to eat them unless I NEED to. I dont find myself needing to and when I moved I asked my 2nd leader adn she said the same thing along with most of the lifetime members who were at the meeting that day.

    If you have access to the online WW site print out that filling foods list...it helps!

    :)tj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, dipping into those extra points always freaked me out too.

    They're there if you need them though, so it's always better to listen to your body (unless it asks for chocolate daily lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Winning Points too. And now I am not a member, but I am following the same old plan because it is really the same as Momentum except those 35 points are just given up front now. I just bank them and earn them over the course of the week.

    Out of fear, I try not to eat in the high end of my range either unless I've been battling a plateau. Those extra points always do the trick and get me losing again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't for get to use zero point foods, too. Like raw baby carrots and the garden vegetable soup! When I first started WW I was always hungry, until I remembered to fill up on those veggies.

    ReplyDelete