A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

3.10.2009

Guesswork

Last September, we bought a side of beef. Everyone told us how we would love it, how lovely it would be to have meat in the freezer, and how much better the quality was than grocery store beef.

Wrong, right, wrong.

We got some great cuts of beef that we wouldn't normally buy. That part was nice. The ground beef I'm guessing is about 70% beef 30% garbage. It's disgusting. The roasts are tiny and half fat. I cannot believe the amount of fat that has been left on these roasts. We are a small family of three, and one roast barely feeds us with no leftovers. We're not being gluttons, either.

I will be so thrilled to eat this up. When it's cleaned out, I'm going to start stocking up on sales. I have not noticed any difference in taste or quality--in fact, I think the quality of the beef from the store is better.

So tonight we had a roast. It was marked beef roast. I had five ounces of beef, after cutting all the fat off. When I went to Weight Watchers Online, I was met with varying degrees of points. I have no idea what kind of roast it was. How do you count points when you don't know exactly what it is you are eating?

I ended up choosing halfway between the lowest and highest point. I counted my 5 ounces as 8 points. I have no idea if I'm close or not.

The hamburger? It sits in the freezer. It's just so full of fat, that even when I wasn't on Weight Watchers, I hated it. I am still buying 93% hamburger from the grocery store. I don't know what to do with all this hamburger. I should boil some of it to make crumbles. I still don't know how to count it as I don't know the content.

That was a costly mistake. $750. We were lucky, it was a small side. I will continue to guess at points and hope I'm close.

In the future, I'll be a smarter consumer--like I used to be. I'll be buying my 93% ground beef and my lean cuts of beef. I'll stock up on sales, and we'll be much better off. Perhaps the money I save doing that will enable me to buy hubby some of the cuts he really enjoyed: T-bones, ribs, etc. Those aren't my cup of tea, but he likes them.

5 comments:

  1. This is what I came up with for your Beef. It comes up 3 ounces for 5 points but I changed it to 5 like you ate.

    cooked- beef round steak or roast -- 5 ounces= 8.5 points

    BUT then I saw they had TRIMMED-- 5ounces=6.5 points.

    It is confusing..hope that helps ya!
    Sorry about your pricy beef mistake. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, TJ. That is the exact way I figured it. Great minds think alike, and it is reassuring to know someone else would count it the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. no problem! I know I second guess myself all the time when I look up points...so I thought Id try to help :)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eww! I can remember my parents buying sides of beef when I was a kid. This brings back many painful memories. lol

    One lady I know used to fry up her hamburger, put it in a colander, and then pour boiling water over it to get rid of the grease. Then she would put the hamburger in sauces, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep - seems like more $ spent on the front end to buy meat from the store - but its ends up being the better value/$. :)

    Glad to hear about your experince with the side. I've had some from friends and didn't like it either.

    ReplyDelete