After blogging and then sleeping on the issue, I spoke to my husband this morning. I decided to not wait and see when he would say anything.
He did not hear me announce my weight at lunch yesterday. He was reading something (a big pet peeve of mine, but he's done it for 20 years, I doubt I'll ever get him to stop reading at the table.)
He apologized. He then asked how I was doing and when I told him he said good job.
I said, "Just for your information, even though I weigh every day, my official weigh-in day is Monday. That's the day I count it." He thanked me for that information, and I bet he'll ask me Monday about it.
As I said, he's a good man. He's not perfect, nor am I.
That all said, he will never offer the type advice or support that I need on this journey because he has never walked in my shoes. He comes from a skinny family. We call his three sisters Skeletors because they are stick and bone and, wear size zero. They're also the type to complain about being fat after eating half a chicken breast. lol
Hubby packed on about 25-30 extra pounds a few years ago. He went on the Atkins diet for a very short time and lost it all. He's a very tall man, 6'5" and when he had extra weight, it hardly showed.
He just doesn't understand what it's like to be fat. He worries more for my health than anything. He's never mean or doesn't make fat comments. He loves me. He just doesn't know how to be supportive. That probably stems from the fact that I do not like discussing being overweight. He may not know whether I'll get upset or not if he brings the topic up.
So he offers me support in his love, and in preparing recipes to my specification. (He loves to cook and does so about 50% of the time.)
I need the opportunity to talk to and read accounts of others in my shoes. I can learn a lot from others. I already have!
So thank you to everyone who has supported me, I do appreciate the camaraderie here.
As for my hubby, he's a keeper. Even with all his flaws, I have a lot of flaws, too. =)
Aww, good for you! Your husband sounds just like mine. He never has problems with his weight, but he also never says anything negative about mine (and he still told me I looked hot daily at 277, can't beat that)
ReplyDeleteThey, whoever 'they' are, keep telling us we need to get support at home. Well, if it's not there, it's just not there. We'll try to give you the support you need. We all need it for sure!
ReplyDeletePS:I hate his sisters. Size 0??? Not until I've been in the coffin for years!!!