A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

3.08.2009

Water Weight

May I share a secret?

I was a little disappointed I "only" lost 4 pounds the first week. I have started WW several times in the past, one time I lost 72 pounds. Each time I started, I usually lost 5-9 pounds the first week. It was water weight. Still, it was a big boost to the ego.

I'm not complaining about losing 4 the first week, I'm thrilled to say good-bye to it. It's just that in the past, I usually got rid of all that water...swollen ankles disappeared immediately. Now? My feet/ankles are still swollen.

When will this water weight disappear?

When I lost the 72 pounds, I started at 264. That's a big difference from 282.5. The other times I started, I was in the 250s or 260s. So maybe it's because I'm just that much heavier now. I need to have patience.

It's not really a big deal, and I don't spend my nights worrying about it. I am just really excited to get to the day that my ankles/feet are not so obviously swollen. Right now I'm only wearing mules as other shoes really hurt my feet. When I take the shoes off, you can see the water/swelling in the top of my foot and ankle. Sometimes I have to really tap my shoe to get it on my foot. (One swells worse than the other.)

I guess I should just include this as a mini-goal. It will happen. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

I'm not expecting a big loss tomorrow. I'm a daily weigher, so I know where I'm at. That's okay. I've been working the plan. I haven't been exercising enough, though. It's not a race. I'll get there. I'm going for health, and every single day by working the plan, I am making my health a priority. That's a great thing to be very proud of. It all adds up, so even if it is only .5, so be it. I'm doing my part.

2 comments:

  1. I believe that small changes, baby steps, are the ones that are successful.

    I didn't start any exercise until I was 9 months into WW. (Besides walking my dog, and those weren't long or strenuous walks!)

    My rate of loss is not as fast as the last time I lost weight. I figure that's because I'm 6 years older. Maybe I messed up my metabolism with all of my losing & regaining, too, I don't know. It's still coming off though!

    Have you had the swelling checked out by a doctor?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to factor in age. That is a big thing.

    I have had the swelling checked out. Swelling started when I got heavy, and I have been on water pills in the past, although I'm not now. I probably should be. Swelling is worse in hot weather.

    ReplyDelete