A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

4.16.2009

Less Than 31 Cents a Day

We've all seen those commercials on TV that state you can support a child for less than 50 cents a day...you know, the ones that break your heart and touch you deeply.

I don't support any of those, but I do have my favorite charities. (The Epilepsy Foundation is my favorite, as my sweet son has epilepsy.) I contribute whenever I can. I remember a couple Christmases ago, I read about a homeschool family who had a house fire and lost everything. I sent them a check for what would have been my Christmas present. I couldn't imagine being in their shoes, especially at Christmas.

Anyway, a few years back I was a member at Richard Simmons Clubhouse. I liked it. The people were great. I didn't participate fully because I wasn't working a program. As I stated recently, I have always had a love for Richard Simmons. I think he draws great people to him as well. So I was looking at his site and considering joining up.

When I looked at the cost plans, there was one that was $109.50 for 364 days. That works out to less than 31 cents a day.

When we think about all we do for others, because we want to, we often forget ourselves. I do. Mom always eats a cold dinner, mom always goes to bed last as she's straightening the house, mom always picks up the pieces. Moms do that.

I got to thinking, though, why not support myself as my favorite charity? Put myself first!?! I mean I'm in a world of hurt, literally. I have pain daily. I am working so hard on getting myself healthy. Like on the airplane, we need to put our oxygen mask on first, then help others. Well, I need to do everything I can to take care of myself so I can better help others.

So I'm going to do it. I'm going to join. The only thing holding me back is a user name. I'm not very good at user names, and I want something fun and creative, and I just don't have creative juices to do that. Help?

If this is to become my new normal, I need to surround myself with positive vibes and inspiration. Like I do on the blog. I can have both, and will. I need to immerse myself in it so it becomes second nature, where I don't need to think.

So I will. As soon as I come up with a user name.

~~~
I in no way am making light of the desperate need of children that need help that we see in those commercials. I just made the connection that I donate to my favorite causes, I just need to donate to myself as well.

8 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea! Of course we will also be able to do more and contribute more in worthwhile ways when we are fitter too, which in itself is a great incentive.

    Off to put my thinking cap on for name suggestions.

    PS: Richard Simmons is a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! You will be a welcome and wonderful addition to our Clubhouse family. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. learning2luvme

    iamfirst

    jocandoit

    going4goal

    (ps you will get a lot of support in the clubhouse and I'll introduce you on my blog once you pick your clubhouse name some of them come to my blog to read)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's an investment in yourself. Never be ashamed or afraid of putting yourself first, because goodness knows, no one else does!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yay! Welcome to Richard's club house! Or, I guess, welcome back! My clubhouse name is nvrgivup. Hope to see you in chat on Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm terrible at picking nicks lol. But it sounds like you'll already have some friends at the clubhouse. I was a member years ago, met a woman there in real life and we are still friends. You are doing really well, it's true that you have to put you first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post! It sounds like you really had an "aha!" moment. It's really easy to think of others first, that is something I am working on too. I realized it last year when I switched jobs - I had to make the right decision for ME! I am excited to hear more about your journey.

    Do you have any nicknames? It is fun to use those for screen names. The one I use here is my first initial in my maiden name. I like that too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like Ang's suggestions :D
    A few of my own.. 31cents, Icandothat (your own motto) 282no_more!

    Great post. Sometimes you do have to put yourself first. I like the analogy of the charity, you do have to donate time and love to yourself.

    ReplyDelete