We've always been big beef eaters. That's one thing my hubby doesn't like about Weight Watchers, we eat more chicken than beef. Friday night he wanted a steak instead of what was on my menu. I agreed, because heck, I love steak and he was cooking.
I had 5.5 points' worth of sirloin and two small baked potatoes. Steak has always been one of my most favorite things. This meal? It was so disappointing. It just wasn't that good. The steak was flavored well, but I just didn't get filled up.
I think this is hands down the most disappointing meal I've had since starting Weight Watchers. The sad thing is that it was my hubby's favorite.
He's an Atkins type of man, and I'm a low-fat type gal. We just don't jive. We have discussed his health, and cutting down on red meat, but he's not interested. I'm not one to push because I believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion. So, we have come up with something.
He doesn't like a lot of what I prepare, but eats it. We are going to try each of us preparing our own meals three nights a week. That will give me more pasta, tomato sauce, salads that I love and he can eat the beef from the fridge. My DS can eat whichever, as long as he's getting balanced meals.
I'm not really happy about this, because I think we should all eat the same meal. It's cheaper that way, and I don't really like the example it sets for my son. However, I understand hubby's desire. So we'll give it a try.
The only caveat is we must continue to eat at the same time at the table.
Life's not perfect, so we come up with solutions that will work. I'm glad I didn't enjoy that steak tonight because I know it won't bother me in the future.
Sometimes, my husband and I will be craving EXACTLY the same thing for dinner, it's so odd! But sometimes, it's an argument, and we both get upset because we want to only cook one thing. We cannot get over the fact that it is okay to eat two different things every once in awhile.
ReplyDeleteI am anxious to hear how this works out for you! There may be some timing issues in preparing meals, but I agree that it is important to eat together!
I like a nice piece of steak occasionally. :D
ReplyDeleteIt sucks when you want to enjoy something you usually love and it doesn't quite match up to what you wanted.
Hope you find a good compromise.
Had this with my DS when he was living at home - I am not a great meat-eater and he loves his meat.
ReplyDeleteI like your solution and think it will work!
We have these same issues at our house. With 5 of us sometimes it seems everyone is eating something different. We've been planning menus the past few weeks so we all get our favorites. I do think the most important thing is just eating together. I'm sure eventually you guys will figure it out. Sometimes we just have "fend for yourself" nights too or leftovers.
ReplyDeleteMy hubby and I eat a lot of different foods. It happens, I think it's a great example that you are eating at the table together! Being together is more important than eating the same...
ReplyDeleteI think it's a fantastic idea. I've been cooking seperate meals for years. I just don't like what hubby likes. He'll eat anything, but he's doing WW also and i want him to have things he loves and that will fill him up. He's a veggie man. I hate them. We winter in FL and he works mindnights 3 days a week. He needs food that will reheat well. I make him lots of casserole type foods with lots of veggies. I like plain meat not mixed with anything. It works for us!
ReplyDeleteI think eating together is the most important thing you can do. It was a must when my kids were growing up. Doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you're together! I think you've hit on a fantastic solution!
It's hard to cook for different tastes even before you get into trying to cook *healthy* for different tastes too. Spicy or not, cooked rare or well done, BBQ or ranch.
ReplyDeleteI'm currently still trying to learn that a serving size of something doesn't usually mean "a pizza" or the "box" of cookies.
super serving sizes are just the foolsfitness way! -Alan
I guess one good thing about not being married is that I only have to worry about cooking for myself! Good luck with your new arrangement. I'm all for men doing some of the cooking! :-)
ReplyDeleteIt's a hard thing to handle. I have similar problems... I've been on WW and therefore have changed the way I cook. I cut out red meat, not for WW, but for my health and Hubby misses it. I've added fish into my cooking routine, hubby hates it. So on nights I want fish, I cook him chicken. but he gets his option of me cooking him chicken (I season it the same as I do my fish to cut down on prepping and meal styles can be the same ten). If he wants red meat... He cooks for himself that night. It's hard and ya know... He hasn't had it in forever because he's too lazy to cook. :) LOL
ReplyDeleteGood luck. You'll find a happy medium. Trial and error is the only way to learn how to make it all work. :)