A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

6.10.2009

I've Made a Big Decision

When I visit with the gynecologist next week, I am going to ask for a hysterectomy.

I have fought his in my head, didn't want to lose my womb, the very thing that makes me a woman.

However, the pain I've experienced the last two years is doing me in.

This morning, in the middle of the cycle month, I woke up with bad cramps. They got worse as the day went on. I was on the couch the entire day. Ibuprofen was a joke, didn't touch the pain.

Hubby cooked supper and by the time it was ready, my uterus must have been spasming or something, but I was crying out--bawling and sometimes I screamed as I had surges of pain. Severe pain. We talked about going tot he emergency room, but I had no bleeding so figured it was just a spasm. Perhaps I should have gone for pain meds and to get checked, but I honestly didn't feel up to going out the door.

Now, finally, at the end of the day the cramps are mild.

I am one to aways eat my points unless I'm throwing up. Today I did not eat all my points nor am I going to. I'm going to go to bed and hopefully sleep through the night.

This just sucks. This is no life--maybe I should say no quality of life.

Done. Finished. Not going to have this pain any more.

I only hope and pray that it can be alleviated. If it can't, they darned well best give me some drugs, lots of 'em, high potency, knock-me-out kind, the most allowed by law. ha

Sorry to whine so much.

22 comments:

  1. (((Jo))) You are NOT whining! I am so sorry you are in such pain. I have been there and it is just plain miserable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're not whining. you're going thru a very difficult time health wise. On top of it... you have to make one of the biggest decisions a woman can face. I say Kudo's to you, Because I didn't hear whining. i heared a strong woman making a very clear and conscious decision and taking control of her health. In the mean time I'm glad to hear hubby is helping you take up the slack around there while you do the only thing you can do... veg out in pain. Take care of yourself. Deal with this issue. Don't worry about the rest until you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You deserve to whine. Yikes. I'm sorry for all you are going through. It will pass and you will look back on this difficult time later and it will all just be a memory. Blessings to you. Hope you sleep well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whine all you want missus! I experienced such pain last week. Period pain can be such a motherpucker. I literally could not get out of bed. I totally feel what you're going through. It must have been a hard decision *hugs* but that kind of suffering is unnecessary. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Baby, whine all you want and breathe extra hard too, that stuff hurts like hell. Had my hysterectemy at 32 years old. No problems since. Sounds like you've made up your mind, keep us posted, you're in my prayers. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had a partial hysterectomy in 2004.. (the year we had THREE hurricanes in Central Florida) and I am SOOOOO glad I did it. WHAT WAS I WAITING FOR??????? After the initial recovery... I felt better and better each month. Now..I do not have to plan my life around my period. It is awesome.

    I did have the blues for a few days, as I was {{{missing}}} my womb.... no womb... not a woman kinda of thinking. That passed VERY quickly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry you're feeling poorly and struggling with this. I know it's tough to realize right now, but it isn't your uterus that makes you a woman, and after you lose it, you'll still be very much a woman... only you'll be a woman who's in a lot less pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I avoided having one when I had similar problems that would have me fainting and unable to leave the house. I used a special hormone coil (Mirena) that nurses had trialed in Sweden and it worked wonders! Not everyone likes them, but it helped me to live a better life and I didn't have to go under the knife which I am really glad about now.

    But obviously, do what you have to do, anything is better than being in a lot of pain and having your life disrupted so you can't function properly.

    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sure sounds like you are going though what I did with endometriosis. Mine was resolved with a laparoscopy, and never returned. You have to do what is right for you, and I hope you find relief soon Jo. I am truly sorry for what you are going though, but help is out there and brighter days are ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to think of wonderful way to say the same thing, but Patty was "spot on!" It doesn't hurt to ask and discuss options with your doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope that works and the doctor can advise you on what would make you feel the best! You poor thing :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sister-in-law had a hysterectomy and her quality of life has improved so dramatically. You're not a whiner, you're going thru hell :( I hpoe it gets better for you (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are not whining at all. So don't even think it. I wish I had some words of advice for you but I don't. I'm thinking about you though. I hope that the hysterectomy will take care of the problems and you can get rid of all this pain.

    ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((JO))) sorry you are going through this
    Have a partial or full hysterectomy make NO ONE less of a woman or anything else. It is ONLY a uterus nothing more nothing less.
    I had a partial hysto in August of 2007 (wake up from a DNC with NO uterus) now that was a surprise when I did not expect it and honestly was NOT done having babies but this was Gods choice and in the end it was the best. I ended up having uterine cancer "mixed Mullerian Sarcoma" they did the partial hysto as the DNC did not go well. This past April 23rd I am cancer free!!!! No uterus and still very much a woman....... Hope I have not offened you .... but YOU are YOU with or without a uterus.....and if a hysto will help with all your pain that talk to the doctor ......
    God is in the healing business take it to him:)
    Keep On Keepin On

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hugs and prayers sent out into cyber space for you. thinking of you during this time.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dang girl...sorry you've been in so much pain! I hope this situation is resolved swiftly. Hang in there and know that you're not alone! (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  17. (((Hugs))) Thinking of you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry for all you're going through! I hope they find something to help you feel better. Thanks for your comments on my blog... being recently diagnosed with my large fibroid tumor has been an emotional rollercoaster and it's nice to know someone else that overcame it and even ended up being able to have children. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sorry to hear you've been in so much pain. I hope your appointment goes well next week, and that you leave with a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You deserve to whine! As a teenager I had cramps so bad I would lay in the fetal postition and cry. OTC drugs did nothing for me. Finally my mother took me to the Dr after one tearful afternoon. They gave me strong pain meds and the pill. It helped a little. After I had a baby or two the cramps died down. I hope that you are able to find a solution that will give you relief!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh I am so sorry you are going through such pain! That's a very brave decision to make and one I probably will make after we find out if we have kids. The pain and suffering isn't worth it! I hope today is getting better!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I too was like Hat and Fappy, only I started taking mega doses of Evening Primrose oil to help some Major eczema, and then my period came...and surprised me! The EPO did nothing for my skin, but my pain vanished...(but you can't take it if you are pregnant/trying to get pregnant I've heard) it was amazing. After a couple of children I didn't have to take it anymore as my symptoms are mild now. May/may not work for you, but thought I'd mention it

    ReplyDelete