A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.31.2009

About My Gut Feeling

I am not concerned that this ablation won't work for my periods. There's no lining left, so nothing to shed, no reason for the uterus to spasm. I shouldn't bleed so bad anymore that the sheets are soaked in the morning, nor should I be passing massive clots. The pain should be all gone. I think that part will be fine.

What scares me is if those fibroids grow. I had that fibroid when I was 28. It grew rapidly. To be brutally honest, the reason I went to the doctor in the first place then was that sex was painful. I'm just afraid that there are three of them and of them growing. What will happen?

My first OB/GYN who did my myomectomy and delivered my son told me I was a high estrogen producer, and that the fibroids feed on the estrogen. That was 16 years ago, so that may not be accurate today, but that is part of my concern.

I also wonder if one of the fibroids is rubbing on something which causes me "the pain" that I have experienced the last few years. I've had it the past three days. No, I did not mention it to the doctor today. I don't know why. Probably because I barely got in the question about the fibroids being removed as he was stepping out the door. He was standing in the hallway when he told me that the fibroids were in the wall or on the outside.

I go back in three months. With me, I will take a detailed account of my cycle, and of the times I experience "the pain." I don't know where that pain is coming from. My new GP seemed to think it was the female organs, which is why she jumped. My old GP told me it was the bowel. I'm not a doctor, I don't know. It's down there somewhere.

I'll watch it closely.

8 comments:

  1. Having a doctor who won't listen or take his time is so frustrating! Good for you for charting when the pain is there. I hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your 3 month appt. is productive.
    Rushed docs seriously PISS me off BTW :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um, the good thing about getting older is that we produce less estrogen...so maybe the fibroids won't grow as fast?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds so much like Endometriosis. I know the pain, period and sex related. It sucks. Glad the periods will be better. I'm going through mine now without aleve(bc of bloodthinners). Totally sucks! Glad you are better now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to have similar symptoms just at the beginning of peri-menopause. the docs had no clue what to do. I'd bleed so heavily I'd pass out sometimes and have to be hosptilalized for a day. Clots, and that's when they found fibroids. I wasn't using pads anymore, I was using Poise (for bladder control loss) to contain the blood flow. Oddly, after a couple years like that, it just stopped. Sometimes there are just no answers, but I hope your doctors will at least follow up.

    Let us know how things go. Your journal may help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, and my best friend I've written about? She had the same thing last year. Same deal, it's just ended recently... no answers, the docs just told her "it sometimes happens at your age"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, any Dr who walks out of the room while i'm still asking questions, is a Dr i would no longer see. YOU need some one who will listen; even if they think you're being ridiculous or a hypochodiac (like my sis in law) they should still listen to what you have to say. You shouldn't have to wait 3 months, but that's my opinion. I'm pretty opinionated. :) I'd get a picture of the abdomen, make many copies and when you have the pain chart on it wher the pain is. Lower left, upper right, all over, etc... That might help you too see if it's always the same place. Sometimes we even tend to forget EXACTLY where it's radiating from :) Anyhow... i wish you luck. i hope he listens in 3 months, you deserve it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS I hope you know I didn't mean you were being ridiculous or a hypochondiac. that's not what i was saying. :) You've got very valid concerns that need addressing and should have been addressed with your surgery. i think. :) Those were just examples that no matter who or how you are, you should be listened to :):):):):)

    ReplyDelete