A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

7.27.2009

The Hard Way

I enjoy learning lessons about myself, my actions, my body, but it seems I go about it the hard way many times.

This morning I made a pot of coffee. I usually make half caf, but today I put in a little more caffeine than decaf. I also drank 3/4 of the pot. And then early in the afternoon it happened. My diaphragm started getting tight, I felt light-headed, had the feeling like I was going to fall sideways, funky breathing. Yup, a panic attack. I went to lie down immediately and practice deep breathing. Nope. I got up, took a Xanax and relaxed a bit. I ended up taking a 2 hour nap and awoke to hubby cooking dinner. (He's a good man!)

I've known for awhile now that caffeine was a trigger for that. I've given up my Coke Zero since my surgery. I would get a bit shaky after drinking it. I've been drinking diet Sierra Mist or a diet Pepsi if we go out. Diet Pepsi doesn't do anything to me, for some strange reason. When we go out, I ask for a full glass of ice, so I'm not really getting that much pop. That could be why Diet Pepsi doesn't get to me as much.

I felt off all night. Ran to Wal-mart to do my weekly shopping tonight, put the food away, sat and watched Nurse Jackie and here I am. (I love the show Nurse Jackie, even though she is addicted to drugs.)

I was thinking of Dad. He used to say things like, "Did you get that through your thick head?" Maybe, just maybe, I have got it through my thick head that I can't do caffeine anymore. And maybe I'll get it through my thick head that I can't drink 3/4 of a pot of coffee--even if it's decaf.

I also spent a little bit of time reading about hormones, adrenal glands, anxiety, slow weight loss--it's all connected. A visit to an endocrinologist would be in order, but I don't know that I really want to do that. I have suspected all along that my hormones are completely whacked. If I'm not better in a couple months, I may entertain the idea of visiting one.

Fact is, I still have Metabolic Syndrome, Syndrome X, pre-diabetes--whatever you want to call it. There is a list of five symptoms, and if you have three, you have it. One GP, of the last three I've seen, told me I had it.

1) abdominal obesity. For a woman, if your waist circumference is
larger than 40, that qualifies. I bought a new tape measure at Wal-mart
tonight. I'm at 43 now.
2) triglycerides above 150. I'm on medication for high
triglycerides. They were high when tested in June. They've been high for years. I'll call and ask when to be re-tested in a month or two.
3) HDL cholesterol lower than 40. I don't remember my number, but I
do remember it was lower than 40. Much lower.
4) Blood pressure of 130/85 or more. I think I've got this one
whipped.
5) Fasting glucose 110 or above. I've got this one whipped.


So I still hit 3, I still have Metabolic Syndrome. This may be why my weight loss is slower than I would like.

I am comparing myself to myself with this weight loss thing. I lost over 70 pounds a few years back. I had fantastic losses each week. I just looked at my WW records, and stared at it in disbelief. I'm older now, which could account for some of it. I just know in my gut my body is still a bit wacky.

I'm getting there, I'm proud of what I've done and I will continue this battle with all my heart and soul. I need to stop and evaluate every once in awhile, which is what I plan on doing this week.

Right now I know I need to order some strength training books. I just need to dive into that, get over my fear, get over my girlie-girl mentality and do it. I also need to re-read my pre-diabetes books. There's valuable information in there that I have forgotten. Or chose to ignore because I preferred to bury my head in the sand. Or perhaps I turned the other cheek because I was overwhelmed with changes. You can only do so much at one time. I think it's time to start up with some more changes, as I've made other changes habit. It's time for another push. I like pushing myself a bit as long as I don't get overwhelmed.

Health is a never-ending quest. My life depends on it. My quality of life depends on it. I need to keep reading, keep searching out information, and applying it.

I do know one thing for certain. I am a heck of a lot closer to good health than I was at 282.5. Each day I get stronger, and hopefully a bit smarter. This journey is body, mind and spirit. I'm giving it my all.

18 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'm so happy you stopped by my blog and left me a message. I'm putting you down on list of favorites.

    Way to go on your weight loss. It is harder to lose the older we get but I'm with you on being a slow loser. As long as the numbers are going down then that's a good thing. As you said this is really a life style so what's the rush to lose the weight?

    We all want to lose so fast and without putting much effort into it. Some people are lucky and lose faster but then what? Either they gain it back or they are maintenance and everyone says that is so much harder then losing it.

    I know that it is easy to say not to worry about it and hard to actually do it. Like I said we all want to lose it right now!

    But you are doing wonderful. I can't wait until I can say I've lost as much as you.

    Heck I can't even bring myself to tell anyone how much I weigh. So you are so far ahead of me.

    Hugs,
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. our body is a never ending lesson. as soon as we find out we have learned one lesson it throws us another and even when we weren't looking it throws us some.

    but what amazes me even more is that you are now listening to them. Something you ignored before you hear now..So proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are constantly learning about our bodies - what they need and don't need. Seems like you def don't need caffeine or caffeine imitators.

    And, oh, dear, I think I had more than 3 in that list above when I began this diet, but so much has improved as the weight has gone down I do feel encouraged.

    Always working towards a healthier you is a good goal, it is great that you are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jo...

    I just wanted to thank you for your tipsof things to see on our vacation out west. Cheyenne was wonderful and we did find the wagon wheel ruts in gurenesey ( not spelled right) and the antelope..... Holy cow!! they are all over the place! You know I have over 200 or so pictures... would love to share them all with you because you help to make our trip such a success. Soooo...... have you been to Utah..I think that is where we are going next time haha. Thanks again! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are doing everything right, my friend, by understanding what your body is doing and what it needs. That is so important. Your GP is your partner in this journey as well and your wonderful hubby. I am so proud of your strides, baby steps, in general your progress each day to better health. You are a fighter and a string and beautiful woman. Keep going. We are all right behind you cheering you on!~~~XXOO, Beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weight loss is just part of it isn't it? Learning about yourself is another part. It sounds like you are doing really well on both fronts!

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Jo. You are doing really well in the weight loss. Don't ever forget that. I'm sure as you go along this journey you will learn so much more about yourself ... all your weaknesses and your strengths. Yes, as our bodies get older they get slower. lol! Weight loss is no exception. Hormones play a huge part, although I've heard that if you take hormone replacement therapy you'll gain weight. I sure as heck don't want that!

    By the way ... thanks for stopping by my blog and making a comment. I only saw it yesterday. I didn't think anyone would ever see it. I had one before and no one ever did or at least never made a comment. It really is only a record for myself so that I will be able to look back, but I'm glad you saw it. Thanks! Now that I know someone reads it I better write more. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's awesome to figure out what you can/can't do, isn't it? Makes life much simpler!

    I am in awe of your self-awareness. Sometimes I just walk around, doing things all willy-nilly, wondering why I feel like crap or start biting everyone's head off...

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're doing great, Jo, but comparing yourself to that 282.5 Jo is a low bar. You need to seek better for yourself than just not being 282.5. You're doing great... and you know it's in you to do even better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are doing great, Jo, I'm so proud of you. It really is about changing what we are doing on going not just thinking the same plan will work forever. It is about fixing everything, mind, body and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're listening to your body and making the changes that it needs! That's a wonderful thing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems to me like our bodies are a never ending jungle in which if we don't listen closely for the sounds of traffic... we are forever lost in. listening is the only thing that will save us and get us out of the jungle. Now the trick is to REMEMBER to listen. :) LOL

    Great job on the listening and now, just remember... forever. :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. I enjoyed this post very much. The last couple of paragraphs said so much! I'm so happy for you because you're on the way out of a horrible existence with obesity and traveling straight toward a wonderful, wonderful place.

    I'm on the same road...we're on it together---and it feels fantastic!!

    My best
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job listening to your body and learning what you can and cant do. Your loss yesterday was fab!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blog Jo. I take something away from it each time I read it. I really enjoying walking with you on this journey! Keep up the good work! You have been amazingly successful thus far, and I know that nothing will keep you from the goal you want!!

    Congrats on the loss!!! Yay you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Jo- I do that, too. Read something and then re-read it two years later and take in the bits I wasn't ready to apply the first time.

    Congrats on getting so much of the pre-metabloic syndrome whipped. That's a major accomplishsment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Jo, Thank you so much for worrying about me. It is nice to be missed. I just haven't felt well and had/have a pretty big case of the blues and didn't feel like posting. But I do plan to post sometime tomorrow.
    I need to catch up on reading blogs too. I am behind.
    Thanks for your friendship,
    Amy aka that TOPS lady

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jo - I went without the caffeine, and did well. Then I get a case where I work 100 hours a week and the caffeine suddenly looks good again. It doesn't help my situation though..
    Choices, choices...what's a nurse to do?

    ReplyDelete