Getting things off my chest is a good thing. I was a bit weepy today, caught up in deep thought. It helps writing things out, getting it out there and out of me.
It's not just dad's death, cleaning out his house, and memories of mom that has been rough. I'm just starting to wake up out of a fog I've been in. It's been a very tough year and a half for me.
Just so I don't sound too whiney, this is a list of events for the last year and a half:
* Our beloved dog died from liver cancer--I was distraught
* We got two new puppies -- we had great plans of agility, flyball, etc. Still on back burner.
* Husband was traveling a lot, gone all the time
* Dad called to ask us to come help him through surgery
* Loaded up the puppies, the kiddo, and the schoolwork--hubby was out of town so we had to take the puppies. Drove two days to get to dad's
* Dad had his surgery
* Couple days later he had a heart attack at the kitchen table in front of son and I
* Saw siblings I hadn't talked to in 1 1/2 years and so many years I lost count -- tense
* Stayed while dad was in hospital for two weeks under extremely stressful conditions
* Had massive panic attack, went to walk-in clinic where they misread the EKG and called an ambulance. My poor son watched his grandfather carted off in an ambulance a few days before, then saw me loaded up
* Spent night in hospital, had many tests done. Diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder
* Cleaned up dad's house and drove two days to get home
* Waited, stressed, worried about dad as he was in a skilled nursing facility improving all while doing school again
* Got a gut feeling, made plane reservations
* Went to doctor, told him I didn't think I could make it. Gave me a big bottle of Xanax which helped me through it
* Flew out to be with dad
* Made decision with family members to stop dialysis
* Had chief of staff at hospital scream at me in hallway, none of my siblings were there
* Lost nonrefundable airline tickets home to stay with dying father
* Spent final two weeks with dad while living out of a motel
* Dad died
* Started estate paperwork
* Flew home
* Numb, started school back up
* Took son to emergency room as he cut his hand open by squeezing a pop can requiring many stitches
* Husband had a major medical emergency and ended up at the hospital
* Tons of bills--cell phone, medical
* Drove two days to clean out dad's house
* Got very ill while there
* Went to walk-in clinic, diagnosed with sinusitis
* Took antibiotics but didn't get better
* Spent two weeks hard labor/emotionally hard cleaning out house
* Spent one final day at the museum of nature and science at son's request before heading home
* Casa Bonita one final time for son
* Drove home, so sick son would have to hold wheel while I sneezed or blew my nose
* Got home two days later, came in to say hi to dogs and husband and then drove myself to emergency room
* x-rays taken, had pneumonia
* unpacked all the things I had shipped home from dad
* not getting better, visited doctor for new meds
* two weeks later still very ill, doctor again, put on very strong antibiotics
* son diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy
* finished school, standardized testing: son did a fantastic job above grade level except spelling
* sent son off to his first summer camp--he needed some major fun
* MRI taken of my head due to problems with my left eye--they didn't find anything, ha ha--actually not funny, it's still a problem (when I recline my head, my vision blurs for awhile after, can't read for sustained periods due to blurring vision)
* summer over, what happened, time to start school
* husband hit by a car in California, totaled his car--the pictures scared the you-know-what out of me, thankfully he and the person who hit him were unhurt
* completely numb, hardly remember winter
* bought light box for seasonal depression--worked great!
* sold Dad's house
* husband gave me the Christmas gift of cleaning the house--I was so sick and so tired that it got bad (by my standards)
* house cleaning turned into a week-long decluttering spree
* cleaned out every room of house, donated van loads of stuff to library, all our puppy stuff to humane society, and to Salvation Army
* filled dumpster twice!
* paid off all our debt
* bought another puppy--and puppy stuff as we donated all ours
* saw pictures of myself, aghast, started blog and Weight Watchers
* started waking up a bit out of my fog
* took obedience classes with all three dogs
* bought new-used car -- back in debt
* son's standardized testing: he scored way above grade level and post high school except for spelling, which was grade level as always
* scanned thousands of family photos--still not done with that project
* was co-executor of dad's estate, although the other co did the majority of the work -- still stressful
* found new doctor--wonderful, things starting to change
* son diagnosed with ADHD-nonhyperactive. I think it's called nonattentive (he can't focus but he's not hyper)
* all the while doing homeschool every day, playing mom taxi getting DS to his after school stuff, suffering major cramps every month, suffering "the pain" I have had for years, cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, paying bills--ordinary stuff
There's some major personality conflicts thrown in there that I do not feel at liberty to discuss any more than that. They were a major source of stress, though.
That's the gist of it. I know I'm leaving some stuff out, but that's the major stuff.
Aside from dad's death, my son's epilepsy diagnosis ripped my heart out. That deserves a post of its own one day.
I just fear being judged for being weak. I judge myself as being weak. Kinda. Yet I had a hard road -- we all did for awhile. Tough stuff. So if I seem a little whiney, or like I just need to get over it, things were much deeper than they appeared.
It hurt me. I'm still hurting. I haven't dealt well with everything.
Everyone has stress. Sometimes a big, black rain cloud follows people. It did me. I kind of feel like it's still here, but hopefully the wind will blow it away. On a good note, I gained less than 20 pounds after all this. On a bad note, I got myself up to 282.5. On a good note, I've got my act together and am working on my health, physical and mental.
So that's it. More blog therapy for me. It feels really weird to expose myself like this. I think I need to do it, though. Friends can only handle so much of it.
Jo--you ARE NOT WEAK!! No one could possibly think that of you. If they did--they are WRONG AND STUPID! In counseling there are several major life events in which any one of them can cause depression, anxiety, health problems, etc. You have had at least three that I can count--all at once. I will also tell you, in case you aren't aware, but your immune system is directly effected by stress. I could go into a lengthy psychoneuroimmunological (now that's a big word) explanation of how, but trust me when I say when you are stressed to the max--your acute stress trigger gets stuck in the on position and your body attacks itself. Your anxiety and your illness is directly related to all of this.
ReplyDeleteNow, hear me...you have done very well. You are not weak. You are amazing. It will take time to heal. Do not expect to be back to "normal" tomorrow. Be gentle with yourself. Take life minute by minute. Relax. Love your family. I want to see a list of all of the good things that have happened to you or of things that you love. Even if you can only think of one or two things today--it is time to focus on your blessings (your son, your husband, your puppies).
Cognitive therapy will teach you how to focus on the positive aspects and to develop tools to help you incorporate positive changes to your life. But you can begin that now, on your own. It's called "looking on the bright side." When I get to that dark place and it seems as if there is no light I say "thank you, Jesus" ten times. Before I have said that ten times--I feel better. I don't know if you are a Christian, but I am and that is just an example of what helps me.
Love you Jo! You are not weak! Thanking God for you right now--and praying for peace.
Blessings, Bonnie
You have done well to come out of it as such a lovely, caring, generous person that you still are.
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you are blogging and that you are working towards a healthier you. You deserve it.
Here's to a better future (it WILL be)!
Jo, you are certainly not weak. Although you may perceive yourself as weak, all those things you have had to deal with over the past year & a half would likely bring many people to their knees. But look at you!! You are moving forward, doing good things for yourself, & it sounds like you're starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. You are stronger than you think you are. Believe in yourself the way your friends & followers believe in you.
ReplyDeleteYou're doing great girl; hang in there and vent all you want. We're here for you. Just take one day at a time.
Weak is not the right adjective. Strong, resilent, compassionate - those are better. You've been through a lot, and come through it a survivor.
ReplyDeleteAnd now you are on the path to a healthier you. Congratulations, and I sincerely hope this next year is much less stress filled.
I don't know what to say m'lovely. That is quite some frickin' list. *hugs* You are definitely not weak. You are still standing. You are blogging. You are here. Things are gonna be looking up for you, the surgery the weightloss and your great attitude.
ReplyDeleteThat's a lot to deal with but the "paying off debt" really jumped off at me. That's quite an accomplishment in the middle of all that turmoil. Be proud of yourself for that, and for your other successes (both on the scale and off).
ReplyDeleteThat is what you'll NO DOUBT look back on as the WORST year and a half of your life. It only gets better from here, because you are stronger now than you were back then.
ReplyDeleteJo your not weak ....... I would call it strong, a fighter, a survivor!!! Your seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and more then that your going for the light. You have came through alot. Your an inspirational uplifting motivating woman. Keep On Keepin On
ReplyDeleteWell I've got to tell you, I don't see you as weak at all, especially considering all that junk you've been through in such a short period of time. I'd be curled up in a ball somewhere! And the good news is...it HAS to go up from here! :)
ReplyDeleteWell good gravy. What an incredible list of things you have had to deal with! Big hugs to you. As I read this, I never once got the impression *this woman is so weak!* I just kept thinking wow this woman is living through a horrible time in her life! And I agree with those above who said you are a survivor.
ReplyDeleteWow, that is a list of stress. I'm sorry that you had such hard times. I hope that the next several years will be times of rest, peace, healing and happiness. Congrats on your son testing so well, despite everything.
ReplyDeleteYou’ve been through all of that truly major stress, stress enough to bring the strongest of men to their knees, and you call yourself weak? Oh, Jo. Please look back over that list and all you’ve been through and then reconsider your very harsh self-analysis. You’re clearly a much stronger woman than you realize. You’re a survivor, a fighter, and a good, caring, loving person.
ReplyDeleteStress is murder on the emotions as well as the body so it’s no wonder you’ve been feeling weepy and are left with self doubt. You’ve been taxed way beyond normal limits and need time to relax and regroup. More than anything, right now you need to be kind to yourself, to give yourself a break. Listen to what all of us are telling you about yourself here in these comments and then start to believe it for yourself. Please realize just how special and strong you are.
Things can only go up from here. Believe that. You’re due for a big dose of happiness.
--Susan
You are not weak. You got hit by a shitstorm. Things can only get better! :)
ReplyDeleteYou are not weak by any means. AT ALL! It appears in that list that things are starting to look a bit brighter? I sure hope so!
ReplyDeleteWow, you are definitely not weak, I can't believe all you've been through, so glad you are waking up from the fog. The fight or flight is ending and you are now getting to live. You deserve to live.
ReplyDelete