You know how when you spring clean your house, you take stuff down, wash walls, curtains, vacuum, clean carpets, declutter, etc. In the process, it makes one huge mess. You work and work, polishing, fixing, making changes, and then you put it all back together. Then it's streamlined, neat and clean, less weighty and wonderful.
I liken that to fixing my body right now. Started Weight Watchers in February, found a new doctor, having the ablation, anxiety flairs that I'm working on, and now the latest bit to throw into the mess: I think I have an ulcer.
The last period I had, I took 800mg of Ibuprofen frequently for pain. What was I thinking? Oh, yeah, that I wanted relief from the pain as the doctor recommended that. Well, I noticed I'd actually been taking Tums frequently. Then I realized I've been sleeping with three pillows so I'm propped up a bit. Last night my stomach was burning. It still is. I think the Ibuprofen and anxiety have caused an ulcer.
I'm not ready to pick up that phone yet and call the doctor. I feel like a hypochondriac. I'm not. Really, even though I complain about aches and pains and phantom fears, I think I'm just getting in tune with my body again.
I think I'm right in the middle of that body spring cleaning, where everything is a mess, and I'm going through and getting rid of the body and mind clutter, and waiting to put back all the pieces again. Sadly, unlike spring cleaning a room or a house, it doesn't take days or a couple weeks, it takes more time than that.
The good news is that it's happening. The process has started. No turning back now, as things are messy and they need to be cleaned up. Oh, how wonderful it will be when everything is put back newly organized, refreshed, healthy and clean.
Heather, that is exactly the reason I'm not picking up the phone just yet. I want to watch, wait and see what happens. Those tests sound awful. I'll look up GERD. I need to read up on what to avoid and what is healthy to eat. I know, goodbye coffee and Coke Zero. :( Hopefully this will heal on its own, but I'll watch and if it doesn't, I'll discuss it. I have an appointment with my doctor on the 13th so if it's still around, I'll bring it up. gulp
ReplyDeleteI have GERD and like Heather take Zantac and it seems to keep it at bay. Acidy foods flair it for me. Yes Jo, coffee and Diet Coke are big culprits for me. I still can't ditch my coffee but try to curb the diet coke consumption. They should be able to prescribe antacid or ulcer medication without having to do a G.I. (upper or lower) The less invasive the better eh? Ughh!
ReplyDeleteWhat a wonderful metaphor! But bad news. You aren't a hypocondriac, you are just becoming more in tune with your body!
ReplyDeleteHope your tummy issues clear up. I know what you mean about trying to clean up the issues with our bodies. Reminds me I need to go have a pap and mammogram my favorite 2 things (NOT) lol.
ReplyDeleteYeah for spring cleaning. I do hope that you are feeling back to normal soon. I just hate that you are having those tummy issues.
ReplyDeleteHang in there. :)
I think I need a spring clean! What a cute way to put it :D
ReplyDeleteHope you feel all spring cleaned soon! Like brand new.
Oh gosh, yes, ibuprofen is an absolute killer for the gut. So sorry you think you may have an ulcer, Jo. Hopefully it’s just temporary discomfort and will clear up soon. Love the spring cleaning idea for our bodies! :-D
ReplyDelete--Susan
What a great visualization, spring cleaning for the body! I love it.
ReplyDeleteI used to take 800 mg of ibuprofen for cramps and I, too, felt like I had an ulcer and acid reflux combined - it was bad, but like you said, the cramping was so bad that the meds were necessary. No real help here - as I've gotten older, the cramps have eased up a bit. Hopefully your upcoming surgery will take care of the problem forever for you!
Oooh hope you feel better soon!
ReplyDeleteSpring cleaning is definitely what we're doing for our bodies. And then keeping up the "clean" state is also hard! We gotta clean and KEEP 'em clean :D
Just in case, they say to take ibuprofen with a little something to eat... Get well soon, Jo!
ReplyDelete