A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.21.2009

The Fair Fair (Two NSVs)






One half of our fair from the midway. Our fair gets smaller and smaller each year. We've decided that next year we won't go. We used to enter things in the fair, we've always gone, but year after year it dwindles to the point that there's very little offered. It's very sad. Every family who opts not to go in the future perpetuates the shrinkage, but it's expensive and I don't think it's worth the money anymore.

Here's a photo of my son on the Ferris Wheel. I had two startling realizations when I rode this with my boys.
First, as we were getting on, I whispered in my son's ear, "Sit on dad's side to balance the weight." So he did. The funny thing about that? My stinking thinking hasn't caught up to my weight reality. Right now my husband and I weigh the same amount. There's no balancing needed, aside from my 10-pound purse. (Or whatever it weighs.) Old thoughts and habits die hard.
Secondly, I need to admit I don't like fair rides. I find them anxiety producing. I don't like the Ferris Wheel. I usually squeeze my eyes shut, holding on to the bar in the middle. As if that's going to help if something were to happen! Last night I just got on, sat, chatted, pulled out my camera and took some shots and enjoyed. Halfway through the ride I interrupted and shouted: "I'm not nervous!" lol And I wasn't. And I enjoyed the ride.
Huh, me? How did that happen? I'm pretty happy about that.
Now to work on balancing my thinking. I weigh the same as my husband. !!! How long has it been since I've been able to say that? And the great thing? I will soon weigh less. That's how it's supposed to be.

I love this kid more than anything. Here he is, on top of the world.





16 comments:

  1. That is great stuff Jo. Your son is a very handsome young man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But, the fair food, you didn't tell us about the fair food!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the pic from the top of the ferris wheel. You don't get to see that perspective too often.
    Your son is indeed handsome.
    I can't do fair rides or amusement parks ... my stomach can't take it ... neither can my heart.
    Here's to weighing less than Hubby!
    Have a great weekend, Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Wisconsin State Fair crossed that line for me about 5 years ago. It just became too expensive to be enjoyable. I'd love to know exactly how they justified charging Disneyworld prices for farm animals and carnival games.

    Handsome young man, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I weigh more than my husband by about 30 lbs. And he's 2 inches taller than me. And he's a dude. Good lookin' kid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great accomplishments! I will never weigh the same as my husband (unless he gains 30 lbs). So proud that you do! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your son's handsome and, thankfully, still at the age where he likes hanging with his parents.

    We love the fair (or carnivals in general) but our little town is fair-less. I used to love the rides until I gained the weight. Now I'm afraid the seat I'm riding in will break free from the ride because of my weight and hurl me into space (lol). I'm the designated purse holder now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if I'm a "ride person" either---but I'll give it a try soon just for the sake of being able to fit on the rides for the first time in my life.
    What a handsome young man you have there! I'm with you on the fair prices and dwindling numbers---maybe the prices keep people away---
    Boy, I've learned that lesson about the brain catching up with the physical---it does lag behind...congrats on weighing the same as your man!!

    My best always--great job as always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's interesting what habits we cling to. It really shows how psychological weight is. It's not just about the calories in and the energy out. It's a whole mindset - and that's why some people struggle with it so much (myself included). I know what I need to do, but I struggle with the mental side of things.

    I'm glad you fixed your internal understanding to match your external reality. That's a huge and important step.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just learned what NSV means today and I wrote about it on my blog too! Congratulations on your victories! I am really looking forward to weighing less than my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so great that you can be more carefree! :) One of my goals is to visit an amusement park when I reach a certain goal, so just like you, I will finally be able to forget all of the worries "weighting" me down!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on your NSV! Each time I read one of your posts, I become more and more inspired by you.

    Wooo for weighing the same as your Hubby and Hooo for weighing less than him soon!

    Keep it up, Jo! You are doing AMAZINGLY!

    Btw, your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your son is such a cutie!

    I am SO much like you in so many ways. I do NOT enjoy any rides...anxiety like you said. I am not anticipating the same breakthrough as you though, because I don't even bother going on them anymore!

    And I also have found my weight has changed quicker than my thinking. I still think I'm going to wake up any day now and be my old size again...among other thoughts. Working on that!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great picture of your son - he is a very handsome young man!

    I used to like the amusement park rides, but not so much anymore. And that's ok.

    Great NSV's - I remember when I realized I weighed the same as, and then less than, my husband - like you said, as it should be! Woohoo to you, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not crazy about the rides anymore myself. Your son is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so happy for you Jo. That's awesome! being able to just sit in the moment and enjoy it. you deserve every day to be like that. :)

    ReplyDelete