A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

8.04.2009

Reflective

I haven't gotten anything constructive done this morning. I started reading blogs, and Sean's stopped me in my tracks. He mentioned donating blood and that brought back a host of memories for me.

I used to be...

I used to volunteer a lot. My high school and college years I was always giving my time. I volunteered at our local blood bank weekly, plus organized the largest high school blood drive in the state of Colorado two years in a row. (I shouldn't take full credit for that, but I chaired it.) I was so productive then. I was president of Key Club in high school and we did a lot of service projects. In college, I was president of our honor society, student council and German club. lol at German club. I did things. I made a difference in people's lives. I volunteered at nursing homes, with Special Olympics, with food banks, with all kinds of things. I was a candy striper.

I loved it. I loved giving. I was shy and introverted, but that was my niche, how I was able to open up and reach out.

I debated writing all that stuff on the blog, because I don't typically admit that there are things that I am good at. I am an organizer. I can be a leader in the right environment, and a leader with very good skills. I can motivate people. I can take the heat when people get upset. I am a doer. I get the job done and done well. I do not have a dynamic personalty, I'm not a good front man, but I can get in front of a crowd and speak. I don't like doing that anymore, but I can do it.

At least I used to be that. When I was that, I was happy. There's nothing more heartwarming than making someone smile, making a small difference in someone's life.

Somewhere along the line I morphed into a middle-aged housewife complete with anxiety, lack of self-confidence and obesity.

I have not done a lot of volunteering in the past decade. We spent a short time with the local Humane Society, but quit. I have volunteered for the library a little, but nothing worth mentioning and nothing that made a difference. I was my son's Cub Scouts den leader from Wolf To Webelos. I gave those boys an awesome experience with everything meticulously planned and carried out. They deserved and received a good program, learned a lot and even had fun along the way.

But here I am again, giving nothing. Maybe that is why I feel hollow sometimes, because it's not my nature to not give. In the past few years, I don't know that I had anything to give--getting through a day was hard enough. Obesity takes so much away--steals our lives, our joys. How can one volunteer when she can't even bend over to tie her shoes or gets out of breath walking from a car to a building?

Then it occurred to me: Perhaps right now I need to volunteer to help ME. Maybe I need two years to re-invent Jo, get healthier, learn good habits, improve, strive to make a difference in my own life. Am I worth the effort? Of course. Maybe the past six months and the future 18 or so months I am supposed to reconnect with myself. It sounds simple, it sounds selfish, but it's not.

I hadn't thought of all the volunteering I used to do in a very long time. I am proud of all I did. I miss it. Maybe by spending time on me, putting that oxygen mask on me first, then I can get back to helping others.

Obviously my time now is needed in raising my son, being a mom. That's a very important task, and with the homeschooling, it takes up a majority of my time. And I give that lovingly. However, maybe there is some synchronicity in this popping into my brain right now. My son is also shy and introverted, like both his parents. He's an awful lot like me, though, and wants to make the world a better place. Perhaps it's time to do something together, because I think he would thrive finding an outlet to give to others.

Losing weight is opening up a world of possibilities. It's a re-awakening process. As I continue to "volunteer for myself," I can add other things. I have more energy now to do so and I know the future I'll be feeling even better.

Like Sean, who was able to donate blood for the first time due to his weight loss and improved health, my weight loss and improved health is opening the door to more. The possibilities are endless. Now, to find the right outlets.

17 comments:

  1. Actually Jo, I think "opening up a world of possibilities" is what's going to lead to the weight loss.
    Perhaps?
    This is a fantastic post you've written here.

    "Volunteer for yourself." ~~ bang-on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! There are lots of things you could do together that could be quite good fun, community projects, environmental projects etc. that could all tie in with the curriculum anyway, with a little inventiveness.

    I see a fulfilling adventure in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think volunteering with your son would be fantastic. I hope that you pursue it and that you both discover something pleasantly unexpected!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Volunteering is wonderful. I think you are very insightful about how your weight affects what you feel comfortable doing.

    When I struggled with my weight, I often found myself on the sidelines. Looking back, I probably missed many opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, a great post. As I was reading the beginning I was thinking just what you said about volunteering to help yourself. I do think we have to put us first before we can really be there to help others. I often think about finding something the kids and I could volunteer for together too. Great thoughts and I look forward to hearing what outlets you find.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was gonna donate blood, but they wouldn't knock me out first.

    Dealbreaker!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How about volunteering for a cause that was close to your mum and dad's heart or organizing a 5k-10k walk/run for them next spring. It is healthy the funds raised would go to your mum or dads favorite causes and everyone wins? I'm sure you and #1 son (yes he is #1 in my book) could research for prizes, talk to your local community leaders for donations and big city stores outside your town for donations. Jo that would be so cool, and I could seeing you doing that and it growing. Handing out awards at the finish line..Pictures? Okay..I'm off to my corner again..Someone please pass me some ice cold water with lemon slice!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post brought tears to my eyes! I hope you really do this Jo. I think it would make you feel amazing and fill you up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Be kind to yourself first and then maybe everything else will fall into place.
    I know sometimes we take care of everyone else and then we get run down and sick.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! It really is so important to give and it makes us more well rounded and more fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Full of insight and good ideas. Like the idea of volunteering for YOURSELF.
    I wanted to BE a Nurse before I end up NEEDING TO HAVE a Nurse.
    Life's a lot better on this side of the equation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jo ... volunteering is an excellent idea. Maybe you could do it with your son and teach him some of life's lessons, about the less fortunate. You could work at an animal shelter or a food bank. Certainly would be enlightening. I like the idea of the 5k walk/run in memory of your parents or maybe you could just work at a walk/run event. Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you will go at it with guns ablazing. Volunteering will make your heart sing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved this post and what a great way of thinking of it "volunteer for myself". Well done

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my friend, oh dear friend. This post was a wonderful glimpse into your past and a fantastic sneak peak at your future! If you ever had any doubts about your path, about your success, about any of that stuff---It's all gone now---or it should be. Your journey is going to open up your life in so many wonderful ways. You're going to inspire people on levels, i don't even think you have realized yet.
    Jo, you've been imprisoned on obesity island for a while---but you're breaking free...and the difference you're gonna make for your son, for you, and for coutless others you'll touch---will be something dreams are made of.

    You're amazing---and don't ever think anything less.

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl I was in German club!!! Holla!!
    This is so inspirational-all those things you did! I knew you were awesome, I just didn't know in how many ways :)
    Focus on how much you have accomplished and what you will continue to accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a beautiful post, Jo. Maybe it's just all the flying I've been doing, but the part that did it for me was the image of needing to put the oxygen mask on yourself so you can help others put theirs on.

    You need to take care of yourself first. As all your old activities show, you're smart, a leader, and you can do *so* much. But you need to get yourself fit enough that you can do it. You're totally right: volunteer for the cause of Jo, in the end it'll help the rest of us.

    (And for the record, I think you've already done a ton of work for the cause of Jo in your weight loss and blogging thus far. And I think by inspiring the rest of us--and you do--it's already helping others.)

    ReplyDelete
  17. There are so many things you guys can do. I DO like the whole idea of walking to raise money. it's good for YOUR health AND for the cause your walking for. You could also volunteer in some way to HELP 1 of those causes. There are so many way you could include voluntering as part of your home schooling curriculm.
    Getting back to yourself is part of this journey. And figuring out who that is or who you want to be is all part of it. WAY TO GO!!!

    ReplyDelete