A health, fitness, and weight-loss story.

10.04.2009

Clothes

Me again, prolific poster today, I guess.

I cleaned the closet and filled an entire bag for donation. It was hard, I got a bit teary eyed, dragged my hubby into the room, explained why I just didn't want to get rid of them. He rolled his eyes and said, "If they don't fit, lose 'em. You're never going back." He's right, which is why I called him in there to begin with. Why do women get so emotionally attached to their clothing? Or is it just me?

I then went through my smaller sized clothing. The shirts all fit but they're too short. I remember that period of time when I bought them, shirts were shorter then, which I hated. I'm not happy with short shirts and my big gut. I have enough that are longer that will get me by for awhile, though.

The jeans? Well, I have one size 20 mom jeans (elastic waist) hanging in my closet. I have one size 20 zippered jeans hanging in my closet. They fit perfectly. I have two size 18 zippered jeans that I got all the way on, and had to lie down on the bed to zip. They are just too tight to wear without fear of a blowout. I put them in the closet anyway because in a month I think they'll be fine.

The size 16 jeans? I tried them on. The went all the way up, fit perfectly in the legs and butt, but the big gut hung out and I couldn't button them. I showed my hubby and he thought it was gross. lol (It was. A big blob of fat with granny panties showing.) I really, really wish that my gut would start shrinking some more. I'm losing in my arms and legs, but not that spare tire. I would really love for that spare tire to disappear and to go down in cup size. Is that too much to ask? lol

I am toying with the idea of running to Walmart tonight to buy one pair of jeans. Three that fit would be very, very nice even though I'm close on those size 18s. I'm going to be out of town for three days, and I don't like wearing "worn" jeans when I'm out and about. (Jeans that I've worn the previous day.) Why do I stress over a $20 pair of Wally World jeans? I'm a tightwad, that's why.

I am also toying with the idea of getting a couple more pair of the Danskin exercise pants. I have the shorts and capris (size 16/18!) and I like the snug fit. The design, they're not too small. I think instead of wearing sweatpants around the house, I might enjoy those exercise pants. I don't feel as sloppy.

I have also found that I prefer working out in t-shirts as opposed to my Danskin shirts. The t-shirts catch the sweat, and when I wear the Danskin shirts I drip all over. Since I work out on carpeting, I figure it's more sanitary if I'm not dripping on the floor. lol Plus there's the cool factor of looking at a sweat-soaked shirt when I'm done. I don't see that with the Danskin shirts.
I do my floor work on a beach towel, but I can't march around on a beach towel.

I wish I were rich. No, I wish I could go to Kohl's and just buy a whole bunch of stuff. But, what's the point if the clothing will only be temporary? A couple nice outfits, I have. Beyond that, since I don't work, I just need enough to get me by. I think buying one more pair of jeans is fine. I guess I'd rather save my money for when I get to goal so I can buy a real wardrobe then!

17 comments:

  1. Hi Jo .... Way to go on cleaning out the closet. It always feels good doesn't it. It sounds as though you really do want to go to Walmart for a new pair of jeans, so go, treat yourself. You are definitely worth it.

    I need to correct you on one of your comments. "Beyond that, since I don't work, I just need enough to get me by."... What the hell do you mean? You don't work. My goodness girl ... you do work and you work very hard. You might not work outside the home, but you sure as hell work!!! Don't every forget that. If you will feel good walking around in your new pants from Walmart or your Danskin pants ... go get 'em!

    Keep up all the positive changes you are making in your life. I'm so glad to read about them. I think you have a whole new mindset. Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol Michelle! I get what you're saying, completely! I agree 100%! I work harder now that I don't have a paying job. I just meant that I don't need a professional wardrobe like I once did. I'm in a different situation where I don't have to wear a suit and/or dress/hose/expensive shoes five days a week!

    Now comfort reigns supreme, but I like to look nice when I go out and about. It would be more difficult if I had to dress up every day--but I'm lucky in that I don't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am terribly self-conscious about my gut and my camouflage solution has always been to wear long tanktops underneath my shorter shirts. Plus it makes me feel fashionably layered (or something). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I swear I could've written this post!! My gut still wants to be my bestfriend even after having dropped 60+ pounds...I can't stand it..but I agree with "S."..THE tank top underneath works really well or a top that gathers does a good job of camouflaging!!

    Anyway, you're doing great hon...keep it up..those size 16 jeans will soon fit....:) have a good week

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cleaning out the closet is a great idea! Say goodbye to the larger sizes forver!
    May I make a suggestion? Buy an adult sized Hula Hoop! It's absolutely fantastic for shedding inches around the middle -- I love mine!
    It's not expensive and it's also just so much fun!
    I got mine here:
    http://www.hoopnotica.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jo.
    I agree, go buy a pair of jeans that fit and rock them!! And get some more of those exercise pants, too. I love wearing them.

    Isnt it about time for you to post another picture for us??

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, wouldn't an all new wardrobe just be dreamy? I can "see" it, you will be there in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jo, I have that same problem with the stomach - frustrating, to say the least! And I totally understand not wanting to let go of certain clothes, even when they are too big...it's hard to say goodbye to favorites! But your husband is so right, and they are going to charity, so that's a good thing.

    I hear ya on wanting a Kohl's shopping spree - I haunt that place and stalk certain items that I like...eventually they get marked down and I end up with a few pieces. However, I cannot wait to get to my final size so I can buy things without the guilt of knowing that I'll undergrow them soon!

    Congrats on the jeans - who knows, maybe you can find a pair at Kohls for the same as Wal Mart.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wouldn't buy any 20's, i would buy one more 18. That will get you moving....remember those ten pounds where Jack Sh*t went naked...got him right down there lol. I can't say I am overly attached to my fat clothes, I am in fact, burning them. My next clothes burning will be at the end of October. I am in 18's basically and so will be burning my 22's. I am not giving them away....there mine. I am burning them......because I hate them. lol
    Keep on moving hon. You will be there before you know it.
    chris

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so right with the clothing. I think it's a great idea to save the money for the "real shopping." And once you get there (to goal) you might not even think it's the clothes that matter anymore. It's you!! You are beautiful insde-out and that's what people will see :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hang on to my clothes too. It is an emotional thing.
    Definitely layer those shirts-very trendy right now.
    Also this ---> "Plus there's the cool factor of looking at a sweat-soaked shirt when I'm done. I don't see that with the Danskin shirts." is the best thing I've read all week. Usually I am SOOOOOO self-conscious about my sweaty ass shirt. Sometimes I layer two or three shirts so I don't have any "seepage." I never thought of being proud of it! You freaking rock!! Thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new decor around here Jo :-)

    I feel ya on the clothes thing. I am swimming in my work clothes but don't have the "extra" funds to go shopping right now with the move. I need to find a sewing machine LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I buy cheap-o Target and Walmart stuff when I am in between sizes too. Then I don't feel bad when I get rid of it! I save Kohl's and Banana Republic for later :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Jo! I'm struggling with the clothes and money issues too right now. I've got 3 or 4 shirts that fit in my size right now (22/24) and one pair of jeans. I don't want to spend any more money on clothes when I know I'm still shrinking!! I went to Walmart and spent $6 on a pair of black sweat pants this week in a size 18/20....thank God for elastic waists is all I can say, lol. But the point of that was, the $6 damn near killed me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm going through the same thing over here. Giving up all the clothes is SO HARD! I have been hitting the thrift stores big time. Not finding a ton of stuff yet...but onward I press. :)

    Go buy the jeans. Buy the workout pants. Buy the tops. You've earned them!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I Hate Too short shirts, they totally suck, and are so in fashion. The long shirt phase didn't last long enough! Good luck with the pants. There is no good answers.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd like a bigger cup size so send some my way lol. Good for you for going through your old clothes. I would definitely buy yourself a new pair of jeans if you want them. You deserve some rewards along the way.

    ReplyDelete