There is sad news on the fitness forums tonight. Confirmation is from friends of former FIRM instructors. So, it's still speculative and internet rumor, but the people reporting are people that I trust as well as you can trust anyone on the internet...
Anna Benson, the creator of The FIRM, my beloved exercise videos, has passed away due to stomach cancer.
When I did my give-away, I placed the order for the winner. Anna's assistant called me the day after I placed the order to confirm the address this was to be sent to, as it was different than mine. I must admit, I was giddy when I saw "Anna Benson" on my caller ID, even if it wasn't Anna herself. We chatted a bit (lovely conversation) and I asked what Anna was working on next. She paused, then said, "Well, Anna is -- Anna is working on it." I noted at the time there was a very strange sound in her voice when she mentioned this. I just assumed she didn't want to tell me as Firmies "gossip" a lot. Looking back, I know that pause and change of voice was because she knew Anna had cancer.
I would suspect that this is not a rumor and is true. I can only hope that it is a rumor. Nonetheless, I want to thank Anna Benson. While I was years late in finding her exercise videos, they have changed my life. I had an intense fear of weights, lifting, weight work. It was manly! The beauty of her productions, the femininity, the southern belle-feel, the grace--it all changed me forever. I now love weight work more than cardio.
In the few short months I have been working out to The FIRM tapes, I have become stronger, developed definition and physically and mentally felt better.
So Anna Benson will always live on in my heart, and I'll think of her every time I pop a tape or DVD in.
Rest in peace, Anna.
If you find out it's true... my condolences.
ReplyDeleteI think for me I can't say I have a "person" who really teams up with me in my fitness journey spiritually, but if I did I think I link with Richard Simmons the best. I actually informally follow him and I think about how he's starting to move up into that retirement age group, it sort of throws me...
I guess I see some of the icons in health as eternally healthy... like Arnold. I saw a picture of the govener of California and it is like I'm seeing someone else than the terminator.
At Foolsfitness we hope to age gracefully and then go out in a flash of glory saving kittens from a burning building. -Alan
That was nice jo, I hope you are doing well...I didnt know there were such things as firmies...IF you are going to be something, it's better than being a softie..which you are at heart...but you are working on a firmie behind.
ReplyDeleteKeep it up jo.
This is a very nice tribute, regardless of whether the sad news is rumor or truth. Beautifully written, Jo.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully said, Jo. A lovely honor for a "friend."
ReplyDeleteThat is such tragic news. So many people have benefited from her work.
ReplyDeleteHow sad. :(
ReplyDeletethat's sad... well, people like you that keep using her system in some way or another are keeping her memory and life's work alive and I'm sure that is a lot already! Keep your chin up and I guess tonight's work out will be for Anna! :)
ReplyDelete